Forums > General Industry > Advice Needed Re: Website. Help!

Model

Emmanuel Ray

London, England, United Kingdom

Hello!

Extremely frustrated trying to make my own website. I am no expert, so found solace in "build-your-own-free-site" websites, for starters where I could later upgrade to my own domain name.

Looks like IT is far harder than I thought it would be! The sites are easy-to-use but I am yet to find the right one. I'm just looking for a site that is of good quality, gives you decent space, looks great, has some decent designs and gives you enough pages such as "About Me, Gallery, Contact" etc.

photosite.com is great but only gives you albums. Web1000.com is a free site that has no ads yet extremely confusing and full of errors. Piczo.com looks great but again, hard to use. Same applies to moonfruit.com, zoomshare.com and so many others!

Does anybody know of a decent site that makes matters easy for Pretty-Yet-Not-Technically-Savvy people like moi?

Thanks,
Emmanuel

May 01 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Travis Feisthamel Photo

Watertown, New York, US

My site is hosted by a company called websitesource.com, they do have a template program that can taylor to your own design easily. I did my own site in Photoshop but its there if you want it.

May 01 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

It sounds like "free' is getting in the way.  Buy a copy of MS FrontPage and if you know MS Word or any of their other programs you can be up and running in no time.  My site was done with an early version of FP and is maintained with the current version.

Paul

May 01 06 09:55 pm Link

Model

Nicholi

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

you could try finding a website you like and looking at it's source code and just replacing their images/text/colors with your own.

May 01 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Nicholi wrote:
you could try finding a website you like and looking at it's source code and just replacing their images/text/colors with your own.

I don't recommend this, it's copyright infringement even if you change a few things here and there. Learn the code, hire a professional, or purchase a canned template, but don't plagiarize.

May 02 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Nicholi wrote:

a form of stealing... how lovely theft is... -_-

May 02 06 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Emmanuel wrote:
Hello!

Extremely frustrated trying to make my own website. I am no expert, so found solace in "build-your-own-free-site" websites, for starters where I could later upgrade to my own domain name.

Looks like IT is far harder than I thought it would be! The sites are easy-to-use but I am yet to find the right one. I'm just looking for a site that is of good quality, gives you decent space, looks great, has some decent designs and gives you enough pages such as "About Me, Gallery, Contact" etc.

photosite.com is great but only gives you albums. Web1000.com is a free site that has no ads yet extremely confusing and full of errors. Piczo.com looks great but again, hard to use. Same applies to moonfruit.com, zoomshare.com and so many others!

Does anybody know of a decent site that makes matters easy for Pretty-Yet-Not-Technically-Savvy people like moi?

Thanks,
Emmanuel

i would just say use something like Geocities right now until you want to hire a professional or freelancer to do it (like moi).

May 02 06 01:28 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

If ya decide to hire a pro and go the other way, lemme know

Jeff Cohn (photographer & web designer)
X-pose.net

May 02 06 02:50 am Link

Model

Emmanuel Ray

London, England, United Kingdom

A big THANK YOU to all those who replied and offered to help.

I've given up and have decided to use an online album instead. Once I collect more photos (as I definitely need more clothed shots! which I hope to do soon, as I have shoots lined up) I'll get a webdesigner to make my site.

My last resort was homestead.com But I hated every minute of it, just like all the other ones I tried, and finally gave up! I'm not tachnically savvy and hate all those digital stuff, and all those pop ups and what not!

How nice if there was a pre-designed website where all you have to do is click and upload! Life would be so much easier.

Now, if I get someone in the USA to build my site, making changes whenever I want may create hassle. That is why I am on the lookout for a web designer who'll show me how to make changes myself!

May 02 06 04:25 am Link