Forums > General Industry > Unique circumstances for an age old question

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Ok, so at the end of a shoot last month the model said, I really want all the shots we did for my records. I was confused and said we could talk about it, but I don't give out my unedited shots.

This was the casting she replied to:

>
> 10am-6pm This shoot is a fun shoot being done with
> several photographers and about 8 models. I need to
> replace one female and one male model.
>
> This is a great oportunity to walk out with a
> complete
> book since each model will be shot seperately by
> several different photographers. you will walk out
> with a possibility of several images per look they
> do.
>
>
> The Location: blah...blah...
>
> The Compensation:
> TFCD: Each look will be given 3 images touched up
> and
> ready for printing from each photographer, no
> watermark. A web gallery of proofs will be placed on
> the internet no later than 4 days after the shoot.
> From that gallery you choose your favorite shots.
>
> How to submit yourself:
> send an email with 3-10 images attached not embedded
>
>
> Thankyou, and I can't wait to create some great
> images
> together!
>
> Star
>
> http://www.film-noir.net

Now I feel bad because only one other photographer showed up, so I am inclined to give the models more than I promised from me personally because the other people screwed them over.

It is a long story, but needless to say I will no longer try to do my photographer friends favors. It appears photographers will flake too if you don't charge them a fee for flaking. I was doing the whole shoot as a favor to three friends who asked me to do it, and none of them showed up they all cancelled the day before. Since I wasn't getting paid, the models weren't getting paid, and the stylist wasn't getting paid I guess they didn't take it seriously.

So, I understand she didn't get what she was promised, but I am still loathe to hand over 100 unedited images. I mean one reason I do restricted TFCD is because I am normally paid for fashion style shots, and this is what that was.

So my question is do I send her a counter offer of 15 images edited and full sized, 30 more unedited and full sized and the rest as web sized?

Do I give them all and consider it a wash?

I want to work with this model again, but if I do I am not going to give her the whole session full sized and I am afraid of setting a bad prescedent. Does anyone have any advice on what they would do in this situation?

Star

May 01 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

You want to work with her again ? Tell her what you have told us ! Don't let pride and silly rules keep you from making a good relationship with a model.

FA

May 01 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

In my standard modeling agreement it says:  Unless prohibited by other agreements, Model will receive five or more courtesy photographs from the shoot, chosen by Photographer, and made available to Model through password-protected online album within two weeks following the photo shoot.

Models do deserve to know ahead of time what compensation they will receive, and you should have stated the compensation clearly beforehand. 

I suggest that you meet with your model and review all of her photos with her, letting her decide whether she wants them all or will accept only a chosen selection.

May 01 06 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

phcorcoran wrote:
In my standard modeling agreement it says:  Unless prohibited by other agreements, Model will receive five or more courtesy photographs from the shoot, chosen by Photographer, and made available to Model through password-protected online album within two weeks following the photo shoot.

Models do deserve to know ahead of time what compensation they will receive, and you should have stated the compensation clearly beforehand. 

I suggest that you meet with your model and review all of her photos with her, letting her decide whether she wants them all or will accept only a chosen selection.

I guess the posting where it states the compensation in bold letters wasn't very clear?

May 01 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

One thing you could do is give her a CD of the images but as low-res jpegs; that way she'll have the photos for her records. And, you could stipulate that none of these photos are to be used for anything; that they are simply proofs and are being provided for the sole purpose of allowing her to make her choices for larger images. You could even put a big-ass watermark on them to make them *really* unusable for a web portfolio. I understand what you're going through, as this is something I'm trying to figure out for myself. At the moment I give a model a CD of low-res images as proofs, and from those they can pick which post-produced images they want. This way, I can provide a model a record of the photo session (which is good for them to have) and I don't have to worry (as much) about crappy images appearing in a model's webport. I had a problem with a model who posted unedited images and refused to change them out with edited versions, so because of that I had to rethink what I do.

Also, I agree with the suggestion of not letting rules get in the way of working with this model again. I'd have a sit-down meeting with her and discuss this all with her and be open and honest about the situation. I don't think you need to write it off or anything, but I certainly think a fair compromise can be worked out so you'll both be happy.

-P-

May 01 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Star wrote:
I guess the posting where it states the compensation in bold letters wasn't very clear?

True for you, you did state the number of images and delivery time, but then when she asked you for more, all you said was that you'd talk about it with her latter. 

Edit: my original answer was too harsh.  Yes you did state a fair arrangement orginally.  Good for you!  Then the job went a bit wrong, and now the only fair thing is to offer some compensation, probably in the form of additional pictures.

May 01 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

You did promise "Several Photographers"

I would allow her a double batch OR offer her a second personalized shoot (which you want anyway) with generous terms for her book.

Your photographer buddies are bums.

May 01 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

I would not hand over a shoot.

While I have found part of the benefit in reviewing proofs on the model's side is education, and that has loosened my proof-posting practices some, but in the all that really counts is the quality of a very few exposures.  One, in fact, may have to do.  Got a few "keepers"--let her know that's a productive shoot.

As regards favors, I defer to my favored trope on the matter: "No good deed goes unpunished." 

And my really favorite saying for all things that turn up ironic and nasty: "God has a wicked sense of humor."

Golf, sailing, and photography have a lot in common, but to keep it brief: deal with the conditions you get and play your own game.

--Jim

May 01 06 02:18 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I was doing the whole shoot as a favor to three friends who asked me to do it, and none of them showed up they all cancelled the day before.

That sucks.  Well, if they ask you to do anything for them in the future, you can remind them of this, and depending on how much you like them / how likely they are to flake again in the future, figure out where you want to take it from there.

May 01 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Star wrote:
the model said, I really want all the shots we did for my records.

I don't see how this is related to the number of finished pictures she is to receive.  The motivation for "all shots for my records" is different from "more finished pictures" - and if you do it once, you lose credibility when you later want to argue that you don't do that (for good reason) in a subsequent shoot.

More finished pictures, yes.

May 01 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Double post.  Sigh.

May 01 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Star wrote:
I want to work with this model again, but if I do I am not going to give her the whole session full sized and I am afraid of setting a bad prescedent. Does anyone have any advice on what they would do in this situation?

Star

1) - Still dion't understand why you feel the need to even consider "unedited" shots. The solution (since it appears to be your project) is to give the model more edited shots. It would take more work on your part but that's what sucks about what we do sometimes.

2) - I've learned never to be a slave to anyone's look or postion. I'd love to work with a lot of people but certain principle would not allow me to  - oh well. So indeed i would want to work with a particular model or anyone else but I would not comprimise my principles for it. Otherwise - just give the women the pix unedited and have a parte on the next session - wooo hoooo - lol

May 01 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Alcantar

Beaumont, California, US

Well Star if you need someone that shows up and does the work, email me.

Joe

May 01 06 04:41 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

On a side note... it is refreshing to see everything spelled out in such great detail from the beginning... especially the what is promised by when point.

May 02 06 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Never give the whole shoot. Offer another shoot.

May 02 06 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

sidenote-
Eve as a Man Ray...

Glad I got you to notice him smile

May 02 06 04:20 am Link