Forums > Photography Talk > Melbourne TFP

Photographer

Carol-Ann Bavage

London, England, United Kingdom

A question for photographers in Melbourne, Aus...

Im coming to Oz for almost a month over xmas (ages away) and wanted to try and squeeze in some TFP shoots.

What are the basic rules for outdoor shooting? Any big no go areas - or places where its OK to shoot?

Any good studios that aren't too expensive?

Any advice appreciated!

May 10 09 03:30 am Link

Photographer

S de Varax

Hmmm, once of the places I know discourages photography is the shrine of remembrance over at the royal botanic gardens (although melb uni's photography club had arranged a group shootout there).
rest of the gardens is perfectly fine.

it's generally a good city to explore, alot of possibilities for general photography or even involving models.

oh yes, train stations- I believe it's disallowed in Flinders and Southern Cross, outside it's fine.

edit: have heard good things about aperture studios- http://www.aperturestudios.com.au/

May 10 09 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

S de Varax wrote:
Hmmm, once of the places I know discourages photography is the shrine of remembrance over at the royal botanic gardens (although melb uni's photography club had arranged a group shootout there).
rest of the gardens is perfectly fine.

Actually the Shrine of Remembrance isn't in the Royal Botanical Gardens. It's outside of it. You can shoot at the Royal Botanical gardens but if it's a commercial shoot and involves a model, an assistant, professional camera, you need a filming permit from them.

To be a bit more specific if your photos involve a model than you need a filming permit.

May 10 09 03:58 am Link

Photographer

S de Varax

Raven Photography wrote:

Actually the Shrine of Remembrance isn't in the Royal Botanical Gardens. It's outside of it. You can shoot at the Royal Botanical gardens but if it's a commercial shoot and involves a model, an assistant, professional camera, you need a filming permit from them.

Location wise it's around there, general park area. The main garden itself I've done a couple of shoots there and never been harassed.
There's also Fitzroy gardens- which was also fine except if you want to shoot inside the buildings with the flowers.

May 10 09 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

S de Varax wrote:

There's also Fitzroy gardens- which was also fine except if you want to shoot inside the buildings with the flowers.

Yes, shooting in that building with a professional camera and a model you need to pay a small fortune yikes

May 10 09 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

S de Varax wrote:

Location wise it's around there, general park area. The main garden itself I've done a couple of shoots there and never been harassed.

I was just being a bit more specific for the OP Varax.

May 10 09 04:15 am Link

Photographer

S de Varax

Raven Photography wrote:

I was just being a bit more specific for the OP Varax.

no worries.
That area is huge, I usually just say that park over there lol.

The OP should be fine, people are usually nice. Apart from the stations I've rarely heard about people having trouble even when photographing models.

This was shot at Fitzroy:-
https://th01.deviantart.com/fs34/300W/i/2008/300/4/a/Dahlia_by_SdeVarax.jpg

Oh yeah, Royal Park is also gorgeous, lovely creepy atmospheric trees big_smile

May 10 09 04:21 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

S de Varax wrote:

no worries.
That area is huge, I usually just say that park over there lol.

The OP should be fine, people are usually nice. Apart from the stations I've rarely heard about people having trouble even when photographing models.

This was shot at Fitzroy:-
https://th01.deviantart.com/fs34/300W/i/2008/300/4/a/Dahlia_by_SdeVarax.jpg

Oh yeah, Royal Park is also gorgeous, lovely creepy atmospheric trees big_smile

Yes, it's very large.

I did a shoot at the Fitzroy gardens without any trouble at all. I even did a wedding there without any trouble.

May 10 09 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Chris David Photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Im from Sydney but I think most of the following apply too in Melbourne. The closer you are into the CBD the more chances of problems if you don't have permits when shooting outdoor locations. Also with permits they usually need public liability insurance to the value of at least $20million. Can't remeber exactly how much but fines were around $680 mark where as a permit might average $240.
Rangers think if you have a tripod that your a professional. Get less problems with just a model and photographer at the location then having a team, especially an assistant.
Rangers have a hard time telling the difference betwen an amatuer/enthusiast and professional and with their revenue raising schemes just a hint of it being of a commercial nature is enough to be paid a visit.
  I think if that ever happens just tell them your a tourist.. maybe show your passport and they'll probably leave you alone.

May 10 09 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Carol-Ann Bavage

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice - thats all really good to know.  I will definitely look into studio hire.  It was something i was considering anyway.

What about shooting on beaches? Our family have a beach house that is a short drive from Sorrento (sorry if my spelling is way off)

My husbands family have a boat - would I have any problems taking it out with a model? Or would i need a permit for that too? (I have a boat license & so does my husband)

May 11 09 11:36 am Link

Photographer

everyday_wanders

Hi Carol Ann,

is this a post about next Christmas?

In addition to Fitzroy gardens, there is also Carlton gardens nearby.  They are both really nice locations.
If it's just you and a photographer for a TFP shoot, I think you can probably get shots around Carlton (relaxed cafe culture).  A number of cafes have tables outside.
Not sure about Sorrento, but I've been to Edward Street beach for some shoots, and there've been multiple other shoots going on around the rocks.

Anyways wishing you a nice trip and if you are looking for a TFP photographer, feel free to reach out.

Kind regards

Mar 04 23 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

everyday_wanders wrote:
Hi Carol Ann,

is this a post about next Christmas?

In addition to Fitzroy gardens, there is also Carlton gardens nearby.  They are both really nice locations.
If it's just you and a photographer for a TFP shoot, I think you can probably get shots around Carlton (relaxed cafe culture).  A number of cafes have tables outside.
Not sure about Sorrento, but I've been to Edward Street beach for some shoots, and there've been multiple other shoots going on around the rocks.

Anyways wishing you a nice trip and if you are looking for a TFP photographer, feel free to reach out.

Kind regards

Did you check the date on the thread you responded to?

It was from 2009. And the person to whom you replied hasn't been active since 2012.

Mar 11 23 12:17 am Link