Forums > General Industry > what is a "press kit"

Model

Rebeca Misha

Detroit, Michigan, US

HI all, I am new to MM. I have been working with agencies for a long time, but am just now getting out on my own, pursuing new and different avenues of work.

I just had someone in LA ask me to send them a press kit. I've heard of this before, but don't know exactly what is in a press kit. Could you all help me out with this?

any info is greatly appreciated...

thank you,

newbie smile

Apr 30 06 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Press Kits are a collection of articles, photos, and information compiled and sent to newspapers and media outlets.  Typically, a press kit is created by the public relations department of a company to announce a new product, but they can be used in many other fields as well.  Usually the people that receive the press kits can use as little or as much as they want to create articles in the newspapers, magazines, or programs that they produce.  Most of the prepared articles in the press kits can be reprinted word for word, or edited as needed.

Typically, a press kit used in the arts field is to announce an upcoming movie, play, concert, gallery showing, or book signing.  They may also be used if a performer is coming to a location for a meeting or special performance.

Press Kits may also contain 'freebies' to influence the people that receive them.  The gifts may be anything from a pen or keychain to DVD's, or even food, jewelery, or other expensive items.

It's not very ofen that a press kit would be requested for a model, but you can quickly create one by compiling some photos, articles, biography, and business cards and submit them to the person that requested it.

Apr 30 06 11:33 pm Link

Model

Rebeca Misha

Detroit, Michigan, US

Sounds like a lot for someone who is new.

thanks so much for taking the time to explain that to me!! I appreciate it.

smile

have a great week!

May 01 06 12:09 am Link