Forums > General Industry > Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition - sucks?

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

I had a look through the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition and I was surprised to find many of the images to be rather poor - lighting on the models very flat, bad poses (I blame the photographer when the model isn't professional) and a complete lack of originality. Of course there were some good shots, but I was surprised at how many I would have thrown out if I had produced them. Is this typical of the swimsuit edition?
  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/featur … _swimsuit/

In contrast, Black+White has a special edition called "Melbourne Athletes" (March) which features some superb shots of sports men and women.

Apr 30 06 03:29 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

QuaeVide wrote:
I had a look through the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition and I was surprised to find many of the images to be rather poor - lighting on the models very flat, bad poses (I blame the photographer when the model isn't professional) and a complete lack of originality. Of course there were some good shots, but I was surprised at how many I would have thrown out if I had produced them. Is this typical of the swimsuit edition?

In contrast, Black+White has a special edition called "Melbourne Athletes" (March) which features some superb shots of sports men and women.

Did you watch any of the "shaky-cam" videos? That explains a lot about the stills work too. They actually seem to be trying to make the thing look like some tourist's home videos and snapshots... "Are we having fun yet...?"

I guess after you see one, or two, or twenty, or two hundred, girls in bikinis on beaches they all pretty much start to look the same [both the girls AND the beaches] and so you run out of friggen ideas. I would think that when the commission is to "shoot girls in bikinis on beaches - but don't show any naughty bits" and you have to stick with that it gets damn old damn fast because there is absolutely no flexibility, or even any room for real creativity, in what you are shooting.

Studio36

Apr 30 06 05:20 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

WoW... I've always thought the SI swimsuit editions were highly overrated as well, and never met anyone that really agreed with me.

Not only are they overrated... some of the pictures are just plain LOUSY!  There's at least one photo featured in their online Calendar which makes the otherwise attractive young lady look like a shapeless old piece of leather.

Maybe SI should hire some people from MM to shoot their swimsuit editions, as I sincerely believe that even many of the novices that I've seen here can shoot better than what I've seen them publish.

Apr 30 06 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

QuaeVide wrote:

I doubt their target audiences is going to care one way or the other.

Apr 30 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Sorry, my fault. I wasn't available to shoot for them this year.  Next year is all good though.

Apr 30 06 08:54 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
WoW... I've always thought the SI swimsuit editions were highly overrated as well, and never met anyone that really agreed with me.

Not only are they overrated... some of the pictures are just plain LOUSY!  There's at least one photo featured in their online Calendar which makes the otherwise attractive young lady look like a shapeless old piece of leather.

Maybe SI should hire some people from MM to shoot their swimsuit editions, as I sincerely believe that even many of the novices that I've seen here can shoot better than what I've seen them publish.

Fine fine, even though I haven't done any swimsuit stuff, I will make a sacrifice and volunteer  wink

Apr 30 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Farenell Photography wrote:
I doubt their target audiences is going to care one way or the other.

You are probably right. Just need to check around for who has hair growing on the palms of their hands to know who is buying that stuff. LOL

Studio36

Apr 30 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

QuaeVide wrote:

This is a problem QV, and has been for awhile.  Look at Playboy, same problem.  As one poster pointed out, SI long ago ran out of original ways to pose the same basic women (6'0", 110 lbs., blonde, blue eyes) on the same beaches.  Sure SI throws in a token "woman of color" every year, but look at the cover of the magazine for their "Dream Team".  Notice any trends?

Playboy...same lighting style in EVERY shoot.  Has been that way since I've seen it, and that is at least 20 years.  The biggest difference...now they use more lights at each shoot to accomplish the same task.

Black & White allows its photographers a bit more room to go outside the box.  I don't like everything that I see there, but it is certainly more interesting and thought provoking.  You'll likely never be inspired by SI, but B&W is a definite possibility.

Apr 30 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

Puleeze!  Let's get real!   The photography may not be very good, but those guys do what they do to perfection: sell magazines.  That's what they're in biz for.  My bet is that they do lots of consumer research, maybe focus groups even, and they deliver what they know will sell.

Apr 30 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Creative Image wrote:
Puleeze!  Let's get real!   The photography may not be very good, but those guys do what they do to perfection: sell magazines.  That's what they're in biz for.  My bet is that they do lots of consumer research, maybe focus groups even, and they deliver what they know will sell.

This is true, and there would be a feeding frenzy in here if SI held a contest to shoot for their magazine. So let's not knock the flat lighting and unimaginative poses. Just about everybody in here would shoot for them. a lot would probably do it TFP tongue

Apr 30 06 12:01 pm Link

Model

leiah

Berthoud, Colorado, US

I thought the pictures in the most recent one were really awful, and I don't even know anything about photography.

Apr 30 06 12:06 pm Link

Model

Jayson R

Los Angeles, California, US

Please with the models in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition you couldn't make those girls look bad if you tried.

Apr 30 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Creative Image wrote:

Ed Remington wrote:
This is true, and there would be a feeding frenzy in here if SI held a contest to shoot for their magazine. So let's not knock the flat lighting and unimaginative poses. Just about everybody in here would shoot for them. a lot would probably do it TFP tongue

I may be wrong, but my sense is that they did it deliberately.  Reality TV, etc is the rage these days.  I think they wanted to make it look more touristy and make the girls seem more achievable.  They moved from high production value to the tacky sense of a vacation.

Are they right?  Creative Image, in my eyes, hit the nail on the head.  It was done with a purpose rather than not being able to take good photos.  Sales figures will tell if the hit their target.

If it works, there may be hope for GWC's after all.  GWC's of the world unite!  SI is looking for your next bad image.

Apr 30 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Keep in mind that most of the people that buy it would not know a bad shot from a good one. Next time you go to a book store look at the covers of all the mags for girls with the models on the front cover. I bet you can find 50% of them have bad pictures on the cover. Look for hot spots on the models heads and stuff like that. The fact is regular people don't study pictures as hard as people in the biz..

Mike

Apr 30 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Johnson Studios

Wausau, Wisconsin, US

I think the popularity of the SI Swimsuit editions have lost their popularity... to the point that they won't be publishing them anymore...the models are less than stellar and I agree that the photography is aweful..especially in this latest one...

Apr 30 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

Don't have numbers for the 2006 issues, but in 2005 the swimsuit issue brought in $35 million in ad revenue, which is about three times the usual  SI per-issue ad revenue.  In addition, it brought in $10 million in license fees and such.  Sorry, but they're not going to stop doing this right away.

Apr 30 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Virtue Photography

Torrance, California, US

In my opinion the last few editions have had less then ideal images.  The picture quality, model poses and swimsuits. One other thing I have noticed is that for a "swimsuit" edition there seems to be fewer and fewer swimsuits being worn.  Half of the pictures the models were topless, lol.  I still think however the overal quality is good.

Apr 30 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

I had one of the girls in that issue show up at a casting (no names) she was still 17..hint hint, so she could not do the job I needed...and then I see her in SI...HA..she blossomed...bust size......HAAA! have to go now...have s hoot for FHM...I am drunk..I hope!!

Apr 30 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

they haven't done anything decent since I was in junior high... but then again, that's the last time I bothered to look at it tongue

Apr 30 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
I may be wrong, but my sense is that they did it deliberately.  Reality TV, etc is the rage these days.  I think they wanted to make it look more touristy and make the girls seem more achievable.  They moved from high production value to the tacky sense of a vacation.

Are they right?  Creative Image, in my eyes, hit the nail on the head.  It was done with a purpose rather than not being able to take good photos.

Exactly. Which is why it was probably the best in decades... And still pretty cheesy...

EDIT: didn't we just have this discussion about Terry Richardson umpteen million times, and YSL ads, etc.? Are people really that bothered if there's an image published in a major venue that's not lit, composed, and focused just like every other damn picture published in every other damn issue of every other damn magazine, billboard, bus sign, point-of-sale-poster, or calendar in the world??? If I showed a lot of you all the new Burberry London fragrance campaign I'd probably hear a chorus cat calls and then some...

Apr 30 06 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Thuc Nguyen

Los Angeles, California, US

Were was I when they did a shoot on the Jurassic Park ride at Universal Studios Hollywood smile

Wonder if they are going to have another SI swimsuit reality show?

Apr 30 06 02:20 pm Link