Forums > General Industry > GWP: Girls with Pictures

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

We are always talking about GWC (Guys with Cameras) I think it's time to talk about GWP... or Girls with Pictures (as opposed to real models).  Got to a casting today, girls with 4x6's in ziplock bags, flip flops on, bitching because they had to take a picture in a bikini at the casting... for a REPUTABLE, PAID bikini calendar with one of Atlanta's most published photographers.  WTF!

Apr 30 06 02:06 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I know it is horrid a photographer from bed head took a poloroid of me two days ago YUCK!!!! how awful  wink

Apr 30 06 02:09 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Be glad.

They make the pros look that much better. 

GWC's have the same positive effect for average photographers like me  smile

Jim

Apr 30 06 02:10 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Oh wait then why do we keep trying to teach them and get them to be better doesn't that just saturate our own market???
*vows to never give out advice again* wink

Apr 30 06 02:17 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Iona Lynn wrote:
Oh wait then why do we keep trying to teach them and get them to be better doesn't that just saturate our own market???

You got it!  smile

Giving advice to those with a 'tude or diva like aura is self defeating.  You'd hate to lose out a job to someone who you helped out, and who in turn stepped on your throat to beat you.

Giving advice to those who are eager, humble, grateful and willing to work hard will yield its own rewards.

Apr 30 06 02:19 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

For me its not the girls that are like: I need help.  I want to model.  I need good pictures.  What do I do?  Its the ones like: I HAVE pictures... where is my makeup? I don't NEED makeup, I'm already beautiful, call my ghetto boyfriend/manager that has never gotten ANYONE paid or any real work, I AM a model, I don't let anyone do my makeup but me I just need to know who to talk to (and their phone number) to get into that magazine... and so on.

Apr 30 06 02:22 am Link

Model

Mia B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am a GWP but I guess the difference is I do not try to pass myslef off as a professional.

Apr 30 06 03:49 am Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

Mia B wrote:
I am a GWP but I guess the difference is I do not try to pass myslef off as a professional.

Ah but you don't have to BE a professional to have a professional attitude and ethic.  Todays professionals had to start somewhere, right?  It's okay to be an amateur.  What sets some amateurs apart from others is their attitude.  I'm not sure but you probably don't truly qualify for the GWP tag.

Edit - I just looked at your portfolio.  I'm not sure anyone can actually call you a GWP.

Apr 30 06 09:19 am Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

A large percentage of what is discussed in the forums are the inadequacies of models. I'm not sure how assigning a clever acronym changes anything; sounds like the SOS to me.

Apr 30 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

GWT's

Apr 30 06 04:53 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

It's not even the girls like the ones you met at the call that annoy me the most (hell, I'm always the one showing up to calls without a comp card, heh)-- it's the ones with a "portfolio" full of nothing but extreme closeups taken with their webcam.  You know the ones: cleavage A, cleavage B, fisheye view from the top of their forehead down, contrast blown so high she has no nose, etc.  Those "models" are usually the ones with profile text that says stuff along the lines of:

my friends told me I'm pretty and I should model... so I want to know if you guys think I have what it takes

Because that is ALL she wants-- strangers to tell her she's pretty.

Bothers me almost as much as average looking dudes with crappy candid home/pub snapshots who sign up with "model" profiles so they can try to troll members through the private messaging system.

May 01 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
I know it is horrid a photographer from bed head took a poloroid of me two days ago YUCK!!!! how awful  wink

Why did you let him?  I know you know better!!
I posted a shot of you on the Shootout Message Board today.

May 01 06 05:12 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
(hell, I'm always the one showing up to calls without a comp card, heh)

LOL... me too but 4x6 in a ziplock bag!?!

May 01 06 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

damnnnnn, zip lock bag? damnnn, they couldve at least went to CVS and got a little pocket photo album, i'd rather see a babe with one of those with her name email and telephone number scribbled on the inside in marker than some damn sandwich bags, lol.

i wonder if the headshot smelled like mayo, haha

May 01 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
Bothers me almost as much as average looking dudes with crappy candid home/pub snapshots who sign up with "model" profiles so they can try to troll members through the private messaging system.

Dammit, Josie, you promised not to tell!

May 01 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Cristal Steverson wrote:
For me its not the girls that are like: I need help.  I want to model.  I need good pictures.  What do I do?  Its the ones like: I HAVE pictures... where is my makeup? I don't NEED makeup, I'm already beautiful, call my ghetto boyfriend/manager that has never gotten ANYONE paid or any real work, I AM a model, I don't let anyone do my makeup but me I just need to know who to talk to (and their phone number) to get into that magazine... and so on.

HAHAHA!!!
That's funny right there.

My friend had a jeans casting call this weekend. He showed me samples of all 125 girls shot.... Had you been there, you'd be #1 on their list of call backs.

May 01 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Cristal Steverson wrote:
We are always talking about GWC (Guys with Cameras) I think it's time to talk about GWP... or Girls with Pictures (as opposed to real models).  Got to a casting today, girls with 4x6's in ziplock bags, flip flops on, bitching because they had to take a picture in a bikini at the casting... for a REPUTABLE, PAID bikini calendar with one of Atlanta's most published photographers.  WTF!

I think you're onto something here - preach lady preach

May 01 06 05:26 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BCI Photo wrote:

HAHAHA!!!
That's funny right there.

My friend had a jeans casting call this weekend. He showed me samples of all 125 girls shot.... Had you been there, you'd be #1 on their list of call backs.

What jeans?

May 01 06 05:29 pm Link

Model

NAT

Huntington, Virginia, US

unprofessional models..*shakes head*

May 01 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

I have an acquaintance who calls them PYGSS (pronounced pigs), Pretty Young Girls Seeking Stardom.

May 01 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Maxim V

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

How about not rambling on and on about statuses, and focusing on improving what's purely important, the work itself. Statuses are acquired through achievement. This is to both models and photographers.

There is an infestation of "models" who speak of high fashion and paid work, with crap quality snapshots in cheezy poses. Just as there is an infestation of "photographers" who eloquently write up paragraphs about art, beauty and experience while sporting Photoshop-filter-diarrhea work with images of thonged asses, without any sensitivity/understanding of lighting and aesthetic.

Please, let's give statuses a rest.

May 01 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Cristal Steverson wrote:

What jeans?

I'll get back to you via e-mail on that. But you know the photog, his initials are L.R.

May 02 06 09:34 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

i am a GWP

I guess i interpret for myself in a different way.
Some girls who have pictures taken for profit are models?
other girls who do it for fun and a hobby are GWP?

Oh I don't know these days how about I am just a girl who likes to be in front of camera hahaha..

I have my career and like to help myself and local photogrophers out in building portfolios joining competitions being in magazines i like reading (i.e. the bridal club (yes horses not the wedding stuff))
yes I have featured my pretty ass in leather chaps (proper ones not the sexual kind with my bare ass hanging out even though i am not against them i have a nice arse so i would not mind doing them someday hahaha) in those..

anyway if because i am happy in my career make twice as much money as some people my age and do hobby standing in front of camera for fun for sometimes no pay but just to send fab images to my mother in germany who looks upon these pictures and is damn proud of me for coming out of my shell if that makes me "just a GWP" then thats fine by me..

**awaits the onslaught**

oh and please people do not take my opinion as a personal dig I just gibber far too much this time in the afternoon..

thanks for reading

now get back to work!!

hahaha

xx shelly xx

May 02 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

I like your advice. I like your company. I like your photos.
I guess I just like you smile

May 02 06 12:21 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Cristal Steverson wrote:

Cristal
Great thread!  Particularly from a pro like yourself.  No one can dispute that. 

I feel like a GWP every time I sign on to MM.  I think that a lot of photographers make women like myself that earnestly want to learn and observe and perfect the craft, feel like shyt for being new and actually wanting to do more than the "stereotypical" stuff that's already played out.  I dunno.  Maybe it's just me.

Then again. . .your port makes me cry sometimes.  wink

May 02 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Max V

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I am not against girls with shitty images or guys with cheap cameras... You may be very surprised sometimes. I have seen girls NOT even with any pictures and can give stunning images. I have seen beginner photographers have great raw talent. I cheer for them and do my best to help them to get into the market.
I have shot a girl in TX couple months ago. My close friend met her in Mc Donalds. She doesn't have any portfolio. She doesn't look impressive when you meet her first time but as soon as you dress her up and put proper makeup: A girl for Vogue!

I know young photographers with their consumer cameras... They have the talent naturally. They don't know how to set up the damn camera, put it on P mode and shoot. But they shoot from their hearts... They create priceless images.

Now, I can't just close my eyes and damn those people. I tell those photographers they can assist me anytime, I tell those models I can test with them anytime...
I am sorry but I have seen professional photographers doing this for years and... I have seen professional models doing this for years... and... Well... You know...

Max V.

May 02 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Chuck Holliday wrote:
damnnnnn, zip lock bag? damnnn, .....
i wonder if the headshot smelled like mayo, haha

A damn fine and memorable idea. I love advertising. We have to reach out to affect all the senses. We have to get above the mundane.

It would be so easy to remember a headshot that smells like mayo.

I love it!

Look how successful "scratch & sniff" was ....

... tunafish, anyone?

http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

May 02 06 12:32 pm Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Jayne Jones wrote:

Cristal
Great thread!  Particularly from a pro like yourself.  No one can dispute that. 

I feel like a GWP every time I sign on to MM.  I think that a lot of photographers make women like myself that earnestly want to learn and observe and perfect the craft, feel like shyt for being new and actually wanting to do more than the "stereotypical" stuff that's already played out.  I dunno.  Maybe it's just me.

Then again. . .your port makes me cry sometimes.  wink

I envy both Ya'll

lol

***HUGGLES***

xx shelly xx

May 02 06 03:15 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

shelly1982 wrote:

I envy both Ya'll

lol

***HUGGLES***

xx shelly xx

Shelly you are such a cutie and 1982 was a great year... huh?
We are not talking about girls that take pictures just to take them but the girls that feel some sorta way because they DO have pictures of whatever quality and really consider themselves pros.

May 02 06 04:40 pm Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Cristal Steverson wrote:

Shelly you are such a cutie and 1982 was a great year... huh?
We are not talking about girls that take pictures just to take them but the girls that feel some sorta way because they DO have pictures of whatever quality and really consider themselves pros.

oh well thats me out then hehehe I am certainly not a pro and would never consider myself as one even though my collegues at work are always on my ass saying why don't you do it for a career etc etc.. I am like you want my job dont cha ha well forget it I am queen Bee hehehe

kidding lol

Gosh I love moring forums

xxxx

May 03 06 02:46 am Link