Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > stretch'n'stipple...(more/most) appropriate tool 2

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

Los Angeles, California, US

apply it with?

did it ok, enough with a latex sponge...suspect there's a better method and/or maybe i'm missing a detail on this in notes from way back when.

thanks all!

Apr 29 06 11:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Anatomy FX

Toms River, New Jersey, US

I've only ever used the latex wedges, myself... I usually just tear them into different shapes. Its always worked okay for me, but if you come up with anything else, I'd love to hear about it. Are you looking for a different end result or is the technique iteself just too much of a pain?

May 01 06 03:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

it was fine - and I didn't recall doing it any other way, only that when i did it recently, I found that the latex kept getting all gunked up on the sponge.  guess it's just a matter of moving onto a new one before this is the case?

great work, btw!!

and thanks for assuring me my memory wasn't failing!!

May 01 06 03:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

Anatomy FX

Yeah... you definitely wanna change sponges if it starts to get too gunked up. Also, was the latex old? Or was it exposed to cold temps? That may also be a factor. Latex can be a harsh mistress when it comes to temperatures, humidity and age.

May 01 06 12:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

Y'know?

As a matter of fact I suspect old product was THE factor, here.

Check this:  I went to some 3rd rate costume shop because I needed to - at the last minute.  I purchased a big bottle of their cinema secrets latex that was in stock and a small latex bottle that comes in those holloween packages. 

I arrive to a test for this movie, and the big bottle is essentially SOLID!!  I didn't think to bother opening the bottle - there was noise upon shaking it, but upon opening there was a good portion of it dried up enough to prevent the liquid /remaining portion from making it through the opening.  My stomach dropped for fear of looking unprepared WITH AN AUDIENCE OF 3, but thankfully the stupid little 'halloween'  1oz  package worked. 

but yeah...with that halloween 'sampling' I proceeded, but was getting frustrated with the gunking up.

Thanks!  U've jarred my memory and helped me weed out the culprit(s)!!

Lessons one only needs learning ONCE, eh?!

-Susan

May 01 06 08:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Anatomy FX

It happens... latex can be a bitch. I just had a whole gallon of faom latex base go bad because my workshop got too cold. Nex time you do a stretch and stipple makeup, you may wanna give Old Skin Plast (OSP) a whirl... its available from Alcone. Its more like a liquid plastic, but its supposed to be more durable than latex. I've never used it personally, but I believe I once read Dick Smith had a hand in developing it. I believe you also need a remover to get it off... just a suggestion.

May 02 06 12:34 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

MUD has really good latex. www.mudshop.com. its thin and clear... a lot better than the cinema secrets in my opinion.

May 02 06 12:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

Thanks to both of u...

Though, I admittedly have reservations about giving dollar-ONE to MUD.  I have problems with their tuition (see: wallet rape) set-up.  Sure, I'm a throwback to days when an education covering all bases could be attained for 5K, and sure I understand inflation...but I frown on the way they parcel out every facet -and at an incredibly inflated rate. 

But that's another thread - grrrrrrrrrrr 

May 02 06 03:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

susan, i went to mud and it was expensive. but their latex is good. it's just the way makeup schools are now, its a more popular field, so they can make more money off of it.

May 02 06 11:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

For what they charge, they should have 2-5 photographers on staff and send out their graduates (into an already saturated market ) with enough of a jump on a portfolio to quell the development of 4-letter words like TFCD.

I laugh when I see nonsense postings from people wanting to wrangle free talent by asking "...are you working on your book?!"  ALL artists 30 days or 30 years from certification are ALWAYS working on their books.

May 03 06 03:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I have to say that the MUD latex is my favorite.  Although I don't work with it a lot, it's been the best IMO.

May 03 06 03:46 am Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

Trust your insight...

Now, to do my damndest to secure it directly from their vendor.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! 

Thanks, Ladies-
Here's hoping our finger-painting paths cross some day.

ok!  insomnia waning...must get some much nee [end of transmission]
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

May 03 06 07:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Anatomy FX

All of your latex needs can be filled through Alcone Co.

May 03 06 06:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

Yeah?!

So I can readily circumvent?!  Right on...

Oh...and for the particular item mentioned by the 2 ladies - what would Alcone recognize it as / call it? 

danke!!

May 03 06 07:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Anatomy FX

I'll make it even easier and list all of Alcone's latex options for doing age makeups. (I happen to have the catalogue out for work right now).

OLD AGE STIPPLE -Special latex product for stippling on the skin to create wrinkles. They have Kryolan, Ben Nye and RCMA versions. 2 oz will run you about $9.00

OLD SKIN PLAST -This one is more of a special formulated plastic that will give a really fine wrinkle (not too deep). Must use OSP remover to get it off. Its a bit pricey -3 oz. will set ya back $22

PARAMOUNT LIQUID LATEX -This is Alcone's Own liquid latex for stippling. It comes in clear and flesh toned. 4 oz will set you back $3. 32 oz. will set you back $12 - $16 depending on if you want flesh or clear

May 04 06 12:32 am Link