Forums > General Industry > seeking experience as an assistant

Photographer

Photography by Mandy

STUDIO CITY, California, US

I am a high school teacher and have discovered a passion for photography a little over one year ago. I am fortunate enough to have a lot of time in the summer that I'd like to dedicate to furthering my knowledge and experience in the field of photography (I've been taking classes at a local community college for the past year). I'm not sure where to start looking for work. It would be temporary for the summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 29 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Hey there,

I would contact the ASMP chapter in your area and start contacting commercial photographers for assisiting work (I'm doing this right now here in Minneapolis). You'll need to have your business stuff in order; like your rates, hours per day (usually based on ten), your overtime pay, payment policies, etc. Also, your local ASMP chapter may have an assistant liason you could ask questions of to help you get started. Does your community college offer a class on assisting? I took a photo assisting class this past fall, and it was rather helpfull but could have been a bit better covering thebusiness side of things.

Good luck to you!

-Pat-

Apr 30 06 12:37 am Link