Forums > General Industry > What to do When Photos Suck

Model

Christina Ilise

Saint Albans, New York, US

Ok so just wondering how you deal with it when you do a shoot and don't like the end product. If he/she asks, do you tell the photog that you didn't like the pictures? What's a diplomatic way to handle it? I am all for being honest about those things but some people just can't handle it.

Apr 29 06 06:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Christina Ilise wrote:
Ok so just wondering how you deal with it when you do a shoot and don't like the end product. If he/she asks, do you tell the photog that you didn't like the pictures? What's a diplomatic way to handle it? I am all for being honest about those things but some people just can't handle it.

what would be the point?  do you really want to waste your time on a re-shoot?  I wouldn't.  I would just cut my losses and walk away.  I wouldn't insult anyone with the news that I didnt lhier photos unless I thought it would  help in some way but I really dont think it would serve any purpose to be honest.  They will know when you don't use them that you dont like them.

Apr 29 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Visionary Studio One

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

I like it when a model does reply and give constructive comments on the images.  If she doesn't use them, that's OK.  It's always a learning experience for both the model & photographer.  It doesn't hurt to be diplomatic.  If the comments strike a nerve..   so be it!  You never can tell, perhaps someday in the future, the photographer may pick up new styles or qualities you were looking for and try for another shoot.  At least you'll both have some idea what the desired outcome should be.

Apr 29 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Christina Ilise wrote:

For me, I like model input, both negative and positive.  You are correct, some people do not like it, but he/she will not grow as a photographer and another model may have a problem with him/her.

Apr 29 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I kind agree with Mary on this.  No need to hurt someones feelings unless they
ask you directly.  Then still be nice.  Remember its all about personal view.
I shot a model once and won a contest with the image I did.  She hated it.
You can see it at;  www.webtalent.com/model4us2.  Its the second image.
Black model, hair in the air.  Good image? I thought so.  Sometimes a first or second
shoot dosn't produce good stuff but if you feel working with this person might
get you better images do so.

Apr 29 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Alex Mercatali

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

If the shoot went horrible in your opinion, why shouldn't I (the photographer) know?
If it was a TCFD, I must know if you like what we did, or not.
I prefer an honest opinion, than having to waste time, and go see if you uploaded in your gallery or not. Beside this, perhaps you didn't had the time to upload them, when I checked, and so I assume the wrong thing.
There are many reasons behind a shooting going bad.
And it's always good to analyze those reasons.

Apr 29 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

If you decide the images aren't what you expected, than you should ask yourself what is wrong with them.

If you decided it is the photographers work, than I'd think you would have to ask yourself why you liked his portfolio to begin with.

If you really feel that you need to tell that his images stank - you should do so in a postive and constructive manner.

The same way that you'd like to be treated if he looked at the images and decided that you stank as a model.

Lets keep the good Karma flowing.

Apr 29 06 06:37 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I usually try to find at least two or three images that I can use.  If that doesn't happen, just let it go.  Unless they specifically ask for your opinion, I don't think it does any good burning bridges by offering negative feedback.  They will get the point when you don't use any of their images in your port.  I remember one shoot way back that came back terrible:  the makeup artist was NOT good, nor was the photographer.  I found one shot that would have been okay had she not cropped half my face off when shooting.  She didn't ask for my opinion, and I didn't offer it up.  No hard feelings.  If she improves dramatically, I'll shoot with her again, because she's incredibly nice and great to work with.  I will, however, bring my own makeup artist. smile

Apr 29 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Instead of telling what you don't like about a set of pictures, trying telling what you'd like to see done differently.  Think about how you, as a model would feel if a photographer said, "I don't like the way your hair is at all."  Wouldn't it be more constructive for the photographer to say, "I think you'd look terrific with your hair piled more on top?"

Apr 29 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Back to the drawing board.

Apr 29 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

The Suburban Hippie Pho

Hampstead, Maryland, US

If it were me, I woud want you to tell me but hopefully you would tell me why you didn't like them.  Not just that they are crap but why you think they don't appeal to you. 

Mark smile

Apr 29 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Mary wrote:

what would be the point?  do you really want to waste your time on a re-shoot?  I wouldn't.  I would just cut my losses and walk away.  I wouldn't insult anyone with the news that I didnt lhier photos unless I thought it would  help in some way but I really dont think it would serve any purpose to be honest.  They will know when you don't use them that you dont like them.

I disagree!  Honesty is best!  I would much rather know if a model is disappointed with the results than to never hear from her again.  You don't have to be mean, put me down, or cuss me out, but do let me know so that I can consider what happened and learn from it.  If you can give the photographer a more detailed description of what you did not like about the results, that will help too.  Some people may not be able to take "honesty" but most will appreciate the closure it provides. 

As far as reshoots, that has been something I've done in the past.  If you are doing a "tfp" or test, then usually a model is more open to the possibility if she/he is confident that the photographer understands what went wrong.  If you don't "talk" then it becomes a lost chance for both to improve.  It's not that I think of myself as an amateur, I'm NOT!  But even after all the years of photography under my belt, I still learn new things everyday. 

Now how does a photographer get better results?  When they find consistent settings for shoots along with familiarity of their equipment and lighting.  Planning is important.  So I discuss a shoot ahead of time.  If we are going to a location I'm not familier with, then I'll try to scout it out before hand.   Communication is critical to being able to learn and improve.

Apr 29 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

vanWingo

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

As to whether to approach the photographer or not, I have no strong feelings. 
Should the subject arise, do be honest.  And do remember that honesty does not equal rudeness.  In the immortal words of Mary Poppins, "Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down in a most delightful way."

Apr 29 06 07:07 pm Link

Model

Shauna Carlo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Ed Stevenson wrote:
If you decide the images aren't what you expected, than you should ask yourself what is wrong with them.

If you decided it is the photographers work, than I'd think you would have to ask yourself why you liked his portfolio to begin with.

If you really feel that you need to tell that his images stank - you should do so in a postive and constructive manner.

The same way that you'd like to be treated if he looked at the images and decided that you stank as a model.

Lets keep the good Karma flowing.

I couldn't agree more with this. I once had a photoshoot [TFCD] that I got quite a few images from. I wasn't so pleased with them but not because the photography was bad but because some of the images looked too artsy. But then I noticed that with the other models that is what I liked. It just didn't go well with my modeling as I was obviously trying for a more fun commercial look and much less of a high fashion look. That is something I should've discussed with the photographer before the photoshoot. They weren't terrible and are nice to have. He was really cool to work with so I kept my mouth shut because none of it was really anything on his part.

Apr 29 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

It does seem like more photographers would like an honest opinion.  It is possible to be critical without making someone feel badly about it.  But I should also say that not always is a reshoot a good thing either if the model has lost confidence in the photographer.  The very first attractive female I photographed was from my high school days.  It was like a "model" shoot to me, but I made many mistakes ... probably everyone of the rules I could break!  I shot her at high noon, with slide film!  LOL  Talk about contrast and shadows!  She looked like a monster in that harsh light!  Poor girl probably never wanted to get her pictures taken again!  I was to blame though. 

I did the samething when it came to concert photography.  Brought a camera that without a telephoto lens (normal lens), the wrong film (black and white plus-X), not enough film (1 roll is not enough!), didn't get up to the front (now I get as close to the stage as I'm allowed) and shot it all on the first act before the headliner got on stage!  The negatives looked like there were little ants on it!  LOL Well I got better from there!  wink

Apr 29 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Images by Christopher

Miami, Arizona, US

I personally would want to be told why the model is not happy with the images I took. I may feel rejected at first but in the long run it will make me better. I would offer to re-do at no charge if the model so desired taking the critique in full stride.

Apr 29 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

i did a shoot recently where i gave the model a CD with the pictures on it the night she was here, and then later sent her my personal picks that i had resized and touched up.
i wasn't really into the ones she liked best, and she didn't like the ones i picked (so i didn't put them up), so... that was that. it was our first shoot, and maybe we'll try again, but if not... it was all TFCD anyway, so nobody really lost anything but the time.
she's a great model, it just ended up that we had differing visions i s'pose.

Apr 29 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

Christina Ilise wrote:

I definitely would like input as to why model doesn't like the images (although, ahem, that hasn't happened to me yet LOL). But bear in mind that these things are collaborative especially when it comes to TFP/TFCD efforts.  Why did the images fail? was it the photogs fault? was it due to technical difficulties? how about model's part in it? did she bring a lot into it? I think it is best to talk it out and give each other valuable input so both will learn from the experience:) jmho.

Apr 29 06 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Meh.  I don't tell models when they've completely disappointed me, I just finish their pics, send them off, and don't use them again.  I'm sure I've shot things that people didn't like, but no one has said so.  Lots of people have told me they really liked what I shot for them though.

I once shot a relatively well known model, and I thought I did some pretty decent shots of her (at least for my level of shooting at the time).  She never used any of my stuff in her portfolio.  It made me sad but I got over it.  I've done better work since then and models have used my work.  I've also shot models less often since then, and gotten more paid work in its place, so in the end, how much does it really matter?

Apr 29 06 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Graham Walker

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Make a showcase of photos that disappointed either the photographer or the model.  Run a public poll:  which of these is your favourite?  For the photo that gets the most votes the photog and model get free memberships at MM!

Apr 30 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Give it to me straight, but give it to me rationally. Don't tell me it sucks...tell me the shot didn't work because you didn't like lighting, angles, etc and why you think those parts  don't work for you.

I don't get better because someone says my shots are great and wonderful. I get better because someone asks if I meant for that shadow under the chin. Did you notice the fingers on her left hand look out of place. That head position put some wrinkles on her neck. You missed the tag on her clothes, etc..I can now break rules intentionally or with reason rather than just having happy accidents..

Yesterday I did my 3rd shoot in the last year with my first ever model. She commented on how much I had grown as a photographer--catching details and directing her into poses. That comes from learning from honest critique..

Apr 30 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Christina Ilise wrote:

Here's the interesting thing -- are you SURE you know the difference between total cr*p and a really awesome picture?

Twice now over the last two years, I've had models tell me that they HATED their pictures right after they got them. Then, after a few weeks of getting compliments, bookings, and jobs on the basis of those pictures, I became their favorite photographer.

Not saying I'm all that -- not the point -- it's just that you may not know as much about photography as you think.

On the other hand, it's equally possible that you DO know what you're talking about, and you just got some horrible pictures taken.

If you are sure they're bad pictures, and you didn't pay anything for them other than your modeling time, I would forget about it and move on.

May 01 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

Christina Ilise wrote:

I respect honesty. If I suck, tell me what you don't like. Constructive criticism should be learning tool, not an insult.

If the photographer can't handle your opinion, then he shouldn't be in the business. If he asks your opinion, give him what he's asking for. There are polite ways of saying you don't like something.

This advice is alot easier said than done I will admit.

Bondo

May 01 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

If asked directly, you could be polite while being specific.  Let's face it, your pictures at some point are about YOU.  If you don't like that you are out of focus, you could say, "I would like this if I weren't so soft."  If, as in KatieK's case, your face were cut off, you could mention that you like seeing your whole face and that in a modeling portfolio, it falls short of the mark.

I used to work for a newspaper where everyone is a critic.  After a day of shooting 6-8 assingments and driving over 100 miles and missing lunch, there were days when you could expect to come into work and have someone volunteer that, "This isn't your best work."

If you aren't asked specifically, don't volunteer a criticism.  Remember that you vote with your dollars and if you work with someone that you like, buy a print and put it in your book.  If you don't like the photographer's work, get a better photographer.

May 01 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

00Philip00

Vass, North Carolina, US

I won't accept my fee until I know the subject is satisfied with their images. For the first 15-20 shots we (subject and I.. I call them subjects as most aren't familiar with modeling lol) look over the images in the shade (primarily shoot outdoors) and discuss ideas on what we want to create. I hear more times than not... ooh,yea, I love that one! I want THAT one, too! I back up and think sloww down, you paid for two hours and we've only just begun... :0) They get ALOT better as time goes on.

May 05 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Here's my thing:

If the pictures were lit well/correctly, framed correctly, and there were no technical glitches on my end and the pics are usable, then I'm good.

I can't control the way she looks. If she's ugly, the camera won't change that. If she keeps giving me strange looks during the shoot, and it shows up on the images, I can't control that.

If there's something that *I* can control that I didn't do well, then I can see a model not being satisfied with MY work. If the model didn't do a good job of posing, then why should I be the scapegoat? I can see us "sharing" the blame (to a point), but the photographer shouldn't shoulder the blame because a model wasn't pulling her weight.

If one is going to give constructive criticism, let's make sure it is directed towards the right person FIRST.

May 05 06 01:00 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

I’m my worst critic. I would hope a photographer would know if the shoot was good or not. Most of the time I’m hard on myself and tell myself I could have done this or that to make it better. Sometimes I even feel embarrassed to show the model the results. Seems in the end they always want some of the shots though, even though I know it was not my best work. My feeling is if a photographer can’t tell, maybe they shouldn’t be a photographer.

May 05 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

JM Dean wrote:
I’m my worst critic. I would hope a photographer would know if the shoot was good or not. Most of the time I’m hard on myself and tell myself I could have done this or that to make it better. Sometimes I even feel embarrassed to show the model the results. Seems in the end they always want some of the shots though, even though I know it was not my best work. My feeling is if a photographer can’t tell, maybe they shouldn’t be a photographer.

I'm the same way. However, as long as my pics are technically correct, the opinion of the pictures are mostly subjective. Now, I know which pictures *I* like, but the model could like something else. It doesn't necessarily mean the picture is bad, it just means (to me) that you like different things about certain pictures, which is okay with me.

May 05 06 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

bang bang photo wrote:

Twice now over the last two years, I've had models tell me that they HATED their pictures right after they got them. Then, after a few weeks of getting compliments, bookings, and jobs on the basis of those pictures, I became their favorite photographer.

It happens to me once in a while too. Well not the jobs and bookings but the compliments from others and changing their minds about pictures they originally hated.

I understand this is a collaboration and I try to shoot the pictures that the model and stylists expect but I still have to do my thing. You saw my pictures and if you agreed to work with me then the rest ain't my problem. If I'm doing my best I should add. If the pictures really suck I may propose another shoot if I think we can do better and benefit all. If I don't then I don't propose another shoot. In a few cases I proposed reimbursement of costs of travel because I screwed up organizationally (too many models and stuff like that).

Here is a question for photographers: you look at the pictures and for whatever reason they all suck. I hate giving those out. Do you? It's so hard to make myself finish them and send them out. If I flake out on getting the pictures back on time in most cases that is the reason.

May 05 06 12:23 pm Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

In my opinion, if it's a TFP/CD, I wouldn't burn the bridge. You never know where your next job may come from.

If you paid for it, and you can honestly say it's not your fault, I'd speak up.

May 05 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

TR PHOTO

Los Angeles, California, US

Speak with the photographer and asked why they came out that way. It could benefit both of you if it is an honest conversation. I always ask how the shoot was for my clients.

May 05 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

San Francisco, California, US

learn, move on, and dont put it in your book.

May 05 06 12:42 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

This doesn't solve the existing problem, but may help in the future.  When thinking about shooting with a photographer, I look through their portfolio with an eye to the weakest links.  I take note of their worst work, and use it as my lithmus test.  If our work together was at the level of their weakest work, would I be happy with it?  If the answer is yes, I go for it.  If it is no, then I at least think about it some before deciding, and know that I'm taking a gamble if I go for it. 

One of those rarely-mentioned model approaches.  Always make your decision based on the worst work, not the best.

Good luck!

May 05 06 12:45 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Cliche Crave

New York, New York, US

Just don't use them, all people involved will get the ideas. But that just my opinion.

Cliche Crave smile

May 05 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

AEV Foto

Carolina, Carolina, Puerto Rico

easy; get a different photographer

May 05 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Just carry on.....there`s better days and better shoots

May 05 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Ellis-photo

Rossford, Ohio, US

I prefer if someone didn't like the shoot that they tell me. If I didn't capture what the model wanted I need to know this to learn better how to communicate and so forth. I can't grow without that input. It's also my job that the client be satisfied to an extent--well, within my means to do so at any rate.  You can politely express that you are not satisfied with how the images turned out, and either call it a scrap or request a re-shoot if you have confidence the photographer could do better with this new input. The photographer may just have different taste but if you tell them more of what you like after seeing what you didn't like it is possible to have a better shoot.

You are not required to say anything at all, mind you, but if you did bring it up it would make future run-ins more easier without cringing and so forth. . .

May 05 06 01:10 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Models: Be open minded about what is produced on a TFP basis.  Every photog has a different style and is often more experimental on TFP projects.  You are the last person who needs to be impressed by the images.  Most models are far less experienced in deciding what is "good photography" than experienced photographers.

I have found on several occasions that images selected by experienced people were not initially my favorites.  I have learned that my favorite images are the ones other people positively respond to. - Especially people who might potentially hire me.

My advice is to be objective.  Whether you personally like your images or not is irrelevant compared to whether the market likes them or not.  Before your decide that you wasted your time on a shoot, get opinions from others - especially those who have verifiable experience in evaluating photography for your market.

May 05 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Models: Be open minded about what is produced on a TFP basis.  Every photog has a different style and is often more experimental on TFP projects.  You are the last person who needs to be impressed by the images.  Most models are far less experienced in deciding what is "good photography" than experienced photographers.

Wise words of a wise man.

Models often pick such crap from the proofs! Sometimes I cringe. I know it's a trade and all but I'm really thinking about starting to just decide for them.

May 05 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Dones Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

VRG Photography wrote:
Here's my thing:

If the pictures were lit well/correctly, framed correctly, and there were no technical glitches on my end and the pics are usable, then I'm good.

I can't control the way she looks. If she's ugly, the camera won't change that. If she keeps giving me strange looks during the shoot, and it shows up on the images, I can't control that.

If there's something that *I* can control that I didn't do well, then I can see a model not being satisfied with MY work. If the model didn't do a good job of posing, then why should I be the scapegoat? I can see us "sharing" the blame (to a point), but the photographer shouldn't shoulder the blame because a model wasn't pulling her weight.

If one is going to give constructive criticism, let's make sure it is directed towards the right person FIRST.

i have to disagree with this.......you are the photographer so that makes you the director, also you should be able to comunicate with the model to get what you want out of a shot.....if you just put the model on a beach and say now pose  with out giving any direction  then you are only doing half of your job and you will more often than not get only medicore images.
If you see that the model isn't  doing anything and you continue to shoot then that's your problem. You can't tell your client that the model sucked......

May 05 06 01:27 pm Link