Forums > General Industry > flash website designers.....we're in trouble!

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Microsoft are currently being sued by a company called Eolas. Eolas claim that microsoft have infringed one of their patents regarding the embeding of interactive content, therefore microsoft not only have to cough up over $550 million, but also change the way their internet explorer 6 interacts with flash.

read more here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01/15 … as_patent/

you'll probably already have seen their new "silver box" that you have to click inside to make the flash work in ie6 on windows, but if microsoft can't keep that then they may have to resort to using a windows media player style control system....aaarrrrghhhhh!!!!

like this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/grap … _fig01.gif

there are java script work arounds floating about already, but hopefully microsoft will pull their finger out and improve upon the silver box instead.

I appologise if I'm a little behind on the news in the flash world, please feel free to update me and the community!

this problem is only on windows machines running IE6

Apr 29 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

What's IE6? tongue

Apr 29 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Yet another reason to keep your websites simple.

Apr 29 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Jon Roberts wrote:
Microsoft are currently being sued by a company called Eolas. Eolas claim that microsoft have infringed one of their patents regarding the embeding of interactive content, therefore microsoft not only have to cough up over $550 million, but also change the way their internet explorer 6 interacts with flash.

read more here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01/15 … as_patent/

you'll probably already have seen their new "silver box" that you have to click inside to make the flash work in ie6 on windows, but if microsoft can't keep that then they may have to resort to using a windows media player style control system....aaarrrrghhhhh!!!!

like this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/grap … _fig01.gif

there are java script work arounds floating about already, but hopefully microsoft will pull their finger out and improve upon the silver box instead.

I appologise if I'm a little behind on the news in the flash world, please feel free to update me and the community!

this problem is only on windows machines running IE6

It is quite old news...the best current workaround is to not accept the latest windows update which would insert that silver box in to the workflow.

the other best work around is firefox, opera, or safari

Apr 29 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

John Jebbia wrote:
What's IE6? tongue

ie6 = internet explorer 6

yeah the workaround of not installing is fine for developers.......but I very much doubt that every single person that visits your website has decided to refuse a windows update!!

I thought this news might be a little old....but new to me! I only  realised today as I usually run firefox, but tried a friends computer today and saw it..... I'm not a happy bunny!

I design all my sites in flash.... I think I will learn the java script workaround if I can find a good one!!

Apr 29 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Jon Roberts wrote:
yeah the workaround of not installing is fine for developers.......but I very much doubt that every single person that visits your website has decided to refuse a windows update!!

I thought this news might be a little old....but new to me! I only  realised today as I usually run firefox, but tried a friends computer today and saw it..... I'm not a happy bunny!

I design all my sites in flash.... I think I will learn the java script workaround if I can find a good one!!

You *could* design an HTML version of the site (advisable anyway, even if you didn't have this problem) and do a browser detect redirect to the HTML version for IE6

Apr 29 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Twisted Light

Miami, Florida, US

Flash although neat for some people is not a good way to get found on the net anyway. Search engines hate them. Otherwise I use firefox so I could care less about Microsoft and Bill

Apr 29 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I have DSL and live less than a half mile from the main hub in town. flash STILL slows my computer way down. I have even seen it slow down a T1.
I never really saw the need for flash. I want people to like my stuff more than the design. But anyway, Mozilla is going to outdo IE soon enough. Most internet viruses are made with IE in mind.

Apr 29 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Hubbard

Buffalo, New York, US

I code my sites in straight HTML, for Firefox. Seems if you write good code, that complies with the standards, most of your problems go away. Coding for IE is just sloppy, IMO.

Apr 29 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

hey hey!! this is not a post for flash haters!

we're all aware that flash has its problems but it also has some huge advantages over html.

The intention of the post was to raise awareness of the problem and discuss possible solutions, not to give your opinion on whether you think flash is any good or not.

James Jackson: it's actually a legal requirement over here for corporations and goverments to have an html version along side the flash, but users have to choose to use the html side if they want. the problem is the designers spend weeks on the flash site then 10 mins on the html just so it can pass the dda laws.

Apr 30 06 06:10 am Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Merlinstouch wrote:
I use firefox so I could care less about Microsoft and Bill

yeah, but that's not the point, as the title suggests the thread is directed at flash designers ( I know there are quite a few on mm)

if you're a website designer then it doesn't matter what system you're running, I use firefox too but I'm sure as hell going to design my sites to be visible and working correctly in all browsers!!

Apr 30 06 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I have DSL and live less than a half mile from the main hub in town. flash STILL slows my computer way down. I have even seen it slow down a T1.
I never really saw the need for flash. I want people to like my stuff more than the design. But anyway, Mozilla is going to outdo IE soon enough. Most internet viruses are made with IE in mind.

with the ever increasing speed of the internet I have no doubt this won't be an issue in the near future. I have dsl and am probably miles from the hub and I have never seen a well designed flash site make a noticeable difference in my connection.

it's just like html in that respect, if it's designed badly it will eat your bandwidth, if it's designed properly it won't. There is a definate "need" for flash on the web, for the people like me who are designers and artists and want to create without the restrictions of html. That's just like saying I don'y see the need for inventing the television when books and magazines are fine for what you as an individual want to know.

Until windows start including firefox with there machines, IE will reign IMO and it will be a while before that happens, besides as soon as firefox is number1 all the viruses will be engineered to target that instead!

Apr 30 06 06:18 am Link