Forums > General Industry > Polaroids or Portfolio:Is it Based on Age??

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It seems everyone has a different opinion as to what works:

Many say just bring simple polaroids when going to an agency but others say that if you're a little older (21 and up) then a good but not too extensive portfolio of about 3 strong looks are better b/c of the older in age.

So which is it? Simple polaroids or a book? Is the simple polaroids advice only for girls who are 17, 18?

Apr 29 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

It doesn't depend on age; it depends on the agency.

Typically, fashion agencies just want snaps.  They also want 15 year olds.

Commerical print agencies want portfolios that they can market immediately.  Age is less important to them.

Read www.newmodels.com

Then reread www.newmodels.com

Apr 29 06 05:30 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I see. Thanks for the link. Now its a little bit more clear. Just wanna make sure I'm on the right track before I spend what's suppposed to be my tuition money for next semester.

Apr 29 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Some very popular models say its not the picts you should bring to network or interview but a diaphram.

E L

Apr 29 06 05:46 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

AJ Bella wrote:
I see. Thanks for the link. Now its a little bit more clear. Just wanna make sure I'm on the right track before I spend what's suppposed to be my tuition money for next semester.

No no no girl, not the tuition money!  Better to invest in what you can do with your head than your body.  Your looks are only good for a short while, your smarts are for a life time.  The chances of building a long-term, high-paying career in modeling that competes with what you could learn in school is about the same as being struck by lightning.  Modeling is fun, and if you are lucky and work really hard in a big market like LA of New York, then you might make some money for a few years.  My advice: Do it after you graduate.

Apr 29 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

No no no girl, not the tuition money!  Better to invest in what you can do with your head than your body.  Your looks are only good for a short while, your smarts are for a life time.  The chances of building a long-term, high-paying career in modeling that competes with what you could learn in school is about the same as being struck by lightning.  Modeling is fun, and if you are lucky and work really hard in a big market like LA of New York, then you might make some money for a few years.  My advice: Do it after you graduate.

YES,YES,YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listen to Jay

Listen, this is so "on the money" that there is nothing more to add.
School first.

Apr 29 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Go to school.  My advice might be different if you were 16 and living at home
and near a major market.  You can still try for all this during breaks from school, etc.  However as already said a good education is worth the world and while
modeling is fun is very hard to make a living at.

Apr 29 06 08:30 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
No no no girl, not the tuition money!  Better to invest in what you can do with your head than your body.  Your looks are only good for a short while, your smarts are for a life time.  The chances of building a long-term, high-paying career in modeling that competes with what you could learn in school is about the same as being struck by lightning

I understand that but school will always be there. My education oppurtunities won't go away anytime soon. Nobody will ever say I don't qualify to be in school. But this is my one chance at this. Everyone's gotta take that chance at least once in their life. If it does not work then at least ya know you tried.

Apr 30 06 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Uhm, you must be going to a CHEAP school. A decent set of portfolio images from a reputable photographer (i.e., not one who's a shill for some "modeling agency" that holds auditions in malls and hotels) shouldn't cost as much as a semester of school.

School might "always" be there, but the money for it won't. Education isn't a fall-back, and modeling is like playing high school basketball--do it because you love it, because most people will NEVER earn a living at it, even the REALLY good ones.

Also, while picking TFP/TFCD photographers randomly won't *consistently* give you the same quality as paying a photographer, if you carefully select a photographer for TFP based on his portfolio, there's no reason you couldn't walk into an agency with a few great shots at zero expense to you.

May 01 06 01:20 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
Uhm, you must be going to a CHEAP school. A decent set of portfolio images from a reputable photographer (i.e., not one who's a shill for some "modeling agency" that holds auditions in malls and hotels) shouldn't cost as much as a semester of school.

School might "always" be there, but the money for it won't. Education isn't a fall-back, and modeling is like playing high school basketball--do it because you love it, because most people will NEVER earn a living at it, even the REALLY good ones.

Also, while picking TFP/TFCD photographers randomly won't *consistently* give you the same quality as paying a photographer, if you carefully select a photographer for TFP based on his portfolio, there's no reason you couldn't walk into an agency with a few great shots at zero expense to you.

Agreed. I haven't spent a single penny on photo shoots and just this weekend I shot with Tito Trelles, Daniel Norton, Ched, and James Graham, all of whom are exceptional pro photographers. It's a lot easier to get a free photo shoot than it is to get a free college education.

May 01 06 09:53 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I don't see myself spending much to get a few strong looks. It seems everyone has their own set of rules. do a portfolio/don't do one. have polaroids/don't have one.

this buisness is just one of those that just does not have a set of rules.

May 01 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

AJ Bella wrote:
I don't see myself spending much to get a few strong looks. It seems everyone has their own set of rules. do a portfolio/don't do one. have polaroids/don't have one.

this buisness is just one of those that just does not have a set of rules.

This is my very unprofessional opinion, but here's one practical way to go about it...

Go to an open call of whatever agency of which you want to be a part.  Go in with snapshots.  If they sign you, they'll recommend people to shoot with.  If they don't sign you, see if you can find out why.  If they tell you it's because they want to see a better book, do your research and find out what kind of imagery you need.  Get that and go back.  If they don't sign you after that then they probably just don't need your look.

Keep in mind,though, this (Atlanta) is a very commercial market.  As mentioned, the likelihood that you'll make even halfway decent money modeling, especially here, is less than being struck by lightning right this instant, and I don't know what it looks like in your part of town but I can only see clear skies outside of my window...

Don't kid yourself on your potentials, possibilities or options in "this business"...

May 01 06 06:13 pm Link