Forums > General Industry > I HATE talent scouts

Model

MichelleS

Baltimore, Maryland, US

They hold these 'model searches' and make everything sound all great and wonderful that they have chosen YOU out of all these people...then they say, 'oh it'll cost you $695!' and what do you get....You get to travel to a big city to attend their model expo where supposely there is 40-50 top name agencies and THERE you will possibly get discovered.....what a wasted of money!  Anybody else agree or had previous experience with such??

Apr 29 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

A talent scout is someone who goes to baseball games to hunt for a great pitcher or outfielder.

Apr 29 06 03:48 pm Link

Model

The Elfling

Austin, Indiana, US

I used to get pounced on by those people in the mall all the time when I was in college.  Not a single one of them was legit.  I quickly learned to just throw their business cards away.

Apr 29 06 03:57 pm Link

Model

leiah

Berthoud, Colorado, US

I like them because they give me something to decorate my desk with
https://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6424/cards9cp.jpg

Apr 29 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher b Smyth

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

that is like photo book publishers who will publish your picutre but you have to buy the book?
Huh should they not pay me for the right to publish my picture?
email me if you want names

Apr 29 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Me too... makes it that much harder to even consider giving my business card to someone at the mall to see if they want to model. Too many scams have poisoned the well.

Apr 29 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

If you see one on Model Mayhem, let the moderators know. We'll nuke them into the next decade.

Apr 29 06 07:18 pm Link

Model

AnToNiA BaKaLoVa

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yeah, I agree with you. I did a ProScout audition, and they wanted $600 do attend  a  weekend at Hilton in Atlanta with top agencies, didn't even invlove trvaeling....i didn't do it

Apr 29 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

AnToNiA BaKaLoVa wrote:
Yeah, I agree with you. I did a ProScout audition, and they wanted $600 do attend  a  weekend at Hilton in Atlanta with top agencies, didn't even invlove trvaeling....i didn't do it

I'm curious.  It's true that in Atlanta you can be seen by agencies with international connections for free, so you could get into an agency without spending the money for the search.  You're the right height, age, body type and look to be of interest to an agency.  So, since you didn't go to Proscout, what did you do to get an agency?

Apr 29 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

John Allen

Cannes, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

Leiah:

"I like them because they give me something to decorate my desk with."

No only are you gorgeous, you are cool !

John Allen
http://cannesphoto.com

Apr 29 06 07:33 pm Link

Model

AnToNiA BaKaLoVa

Atlanta, Georgia, US

TXPhotog wrote:

I'm curious.  It's true that in Atlanta you can be seen by agencies with international connections for free, so you could get into an agency without spending the money for the search.  You're the right height, age, body type and look to be of interest to an agency.  So, since you didn't go to Proscout, what did you do to get an agency?

Yes, agencies do not charge for open calls. I am planning on attending an Elite open call, but am wondering if I should wait until I get some better images and then go. I am deifintely going to do it by the end of the summer regardless. Any advice?

Apr 29 06 07:40 pm Link

Model

Xavier Ford

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Here's the low-down on modeling agencies and scouts! I'm signed with Ford and Major, and to get to where I am you don't waste money on stupid searches or money hungry scouts. These dumb searches, which usually are run by secondary companies, are preceded by a blitz of advertising before the event to drum up every available young man and woman who thinks they have what it takes to walk the high fashion runways.Although these model searches often cannot be considered "scams," you still gotta be careful by knowing the facts behind a career modeling. Virtually all of these model searches come at some financial cost to the participants. The company holding the search wants you to pay it as a clearinghouse between you and the modeling industry. These "searches" are designed to bring in people who already think they are handsome and beautiful to an event where many, in turn, are "selected" to get more involved--at a cost--with the company later. The flattery of this selection leads many of you to spend hundreds of dollars to pay for a photo session or to buy access to potential jobs the company arranges. You're seldom "guaranteed" any modeling work; you simply are told you have potential and you will be introduced to modeling scouts or companies seeking models. This promise, allure, and the appeal to your personal vanity make it much easier for the company to get you to agree to part with your cash to see if you can make a career in the field.

Apr 29 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

Michelle72183 wrote:
They hold these 'model searches' and make everything sound all great and wonderful that they have chosen YOU out of all these people...then they say, 'oh it'll cost you $695!' and what do you get....You get to travel to a big city to attend their model expo where supposely there is 40-50 top name agencies and THERE you will possibly get discovered.....what a wasted of money!  Anybody else agree or had previous experience with such??

yep, those are probably scammers who make money out of dreamy eyed aspiring models. I shot a local aspiring model here and she told me of her experiences going to  this weekend model search event two years in a row and she heard nada back from them...

Apr 29 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

AnToNiA BaKaLoVa wrote:
Yes, agencies do not charge for open calls. I am planning on attending an Elite open call, but am wondering if I should wait until I get some better images and then go. I am deifintely going to do it by the end of the summer regardless. Any advice?

Yes.  Forget getting better images.  Go now, and don't take anything in your current port with you.

You gain little or nothing by getting more pictures done, especially since they seem not to be the kind that Elite will find helpful.  If you'd like, take in some simple snapshots of you in a bikini against a plain white wall.  Nothing more is needed.  Even that much isn't needed.

Apr 29 06 08:31 pm Link

Model

AnToNiA BaKaLoVa

Atlanta, Georgia, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Yes.  Forget getting better images.  Go now, and don't take anything in your current port with you.

You gain little or nothing by getting more pictures done, especially since they seem not to be the kind that Elite will find helpful.  If you'd like, take in some simple snapshots of you in a bikini against a plain white wall.  Nothing more is needed.  Even that much isn't needed.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it under consideration big_smile

Apr 29 06 09:54 pm Link