Forums > General Industry > runway show - release

Photographer

IBR

Do I need any kind of release If I'm shooting a runway show ???

thanks

Apr 28 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

IBR wrote:
Do I need any kind of release If I'm shooting a runway show ???

thanks

Are you an invited photographer, are you getting any permissions from the organizers to use the photos (who might already have a release from the model) and what are you planning on using the images for.

Check out this link it will tell you what you want to know:  http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html#2

It is more about usage than the fact that it is a runway show.

Apr 29 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

IBR

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Are you an invited photographer, are you getting any permissions from the organizers to use the photos (who might already have a release from the model) and what are you planning on using the images for.

Check out this link it will tell you what you want to know:  http://www.danheller.com/model-release.html#2

It is more about usage than the fact that it is a runway show.

Yes I am an invated photographer. I want to use it in my portfolio.

Apr 29 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

IBR wrote:
Yes I am an invated photographer. I want to use it in my portfolio.

Your printed portfolio is generally never an issue (although there have been a few cases years ago which said usage in a portfolio was a kind of publication).

Have you asked the designer who invited you what his policy is?   He may have had the models sign a release as a condition of participating.

Apr 29 06 12:22 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

It can be a gray area being that runway shows are considered public in some cases, but for your book or site, there should be no issue. Selling images changes the issue...

Apr 29 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

It can be a gray area being that runway shows are considered public in some cases, but for your book or site, there should be no issue. Selling images changes the issue...

Apr 29 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

There are two separate but vaguely related issues. You *never* need a model release to *take* photos. You only need the permission of the event organizer or the owner if you are shooting a private event.

The need for a model release relates to what you want to do with the photos *after* you've taken them. You need a release if you plan to use the photos for any "commercial" use. Generally, this means advertising. Generally, a portfolio is not considered commercial use (although there are exceptions).

Apr 29 06 12:51 am Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

If we stick with "Generalities" You are pretty safe selling posters etc. Commercial use might include putting the image on a T shirt, School Lunch Box, or using it in a way that suggested the model endorsed a product. The image Generally can be a product you sell but can not be used to entice someone to buy a product. Pretty weird huh.

Commercial use would likely include a huge print hanging in the Women's Wear Department of a Retail Store. Especially if the model was wearing a clothing line for sale in that store.

Apr 29 06 01:12 am Link