Forums > General Industry > Book or comp card?

Model

That name is taken

BALLOUVILLE, Connecticut, US

When you approach any agency which is better to use? I don't want to waste money doing one or the other if it's not correct.
Thanks!

Apr 28 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Cleveland

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Well if you are trying to get your foot in the door then start with a plan.  Figure out a marketing budget that suits you.  How I present myself is in a 3 stage process.

1. I will develop a comp card that gives them a taste of what I can bring to the job and mail it out with a letter of intent.

2. I will then follow it up with a phone call to see if there is interest in what I have to offer and set an appointment to meet the client.

3. Do my very best to WOW them in the meeting with my printed portfolio and close the deal.

To answer your qustion though, do both.

Apr 28 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Cleveland

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Well if you are trying to get your foot in the door then start with a plan.  Figure out a marketing budget that suits you.  How I present myself is in a 3 stage process.

1. I will develop a comp card that gives them a taste of what I can bring to the job and mail it out with a letter of intent.

2. I will then follow it up with a phone call to see if there is interest in what I have to offer and set an appointment to meet the client.

3. Do my very best to WOW them in the meeting with my printed portfolio and close the deal.

To answer your qustion though, do both.

Apr 28 06 07:25 pm Link

Model

That name is taken

Thank you!

Apr 28 06 07:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

If an agency likes your look they will pick you based on just a poloroid.

Apr 28 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Bethany Elyse wrote:
When you approach any agency which is better to use? I don't want to waste money doing one or the other if it's not correct.
Thanks!

I would say a book with a range of pictures, but nothing overwhelming. 

Honestly, I don't think they really care.  All they care about is how you look and photograph in pictures.  Don't be surprised if they don't even look at you or give you eye contact.

Apr 28 06 07:30 pm Link

Model

That name is taken

Thanks - Instinctive - your shots are to die for! Great work :-)

Apr 28 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Divo Models

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Bethany Elyse wrote:
Thanks - Instinctive - your shots are to die for! Great work :-)

Thanks, but most importantly, go into the agency with a good attitude...chin up...posture straight.  They may come across mean as hell, but don't let your emotions show...take it like a trooper.

Out of 50 girls, 1 or 0 may get called back...it's the reality.

Apr 28 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Ashley is right. I've been in on lots of model interviews with agencies.

Any decent agency won't require printed material or formal book at all. If you have decent snapshots or polaroids - that's fine. They want to train you - or should if you're in a major market. The norm is a head shot and a body shot (showing leg/trunk proportions). Pick the best, do not rely on less than the best to "fill".

If you are already a pro or switching agencies - a book just means you've had some experience.

Apr 28 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bethany Elyse wrote:

It depends on the orientation and policies of the agency.

If they have open calls, a book is better than a card.  If they don't, you have to send them something, and they may not care about the book, since they are likely to want it completely redone anyway.

Some agencies specialize in fashion, others in commercial.  Some go to a lot of trouble to guide their models (mostly the fashion agencies who sign models to exclusive contracts).  For them, the "Polariod-like" approach is best.  Others would prefer to deal only with models who require little development.  These tend to be commercial agencies, or those with non-exclusive contracts with their models.  For them, good professional pictures of the type and quality they use are the best way to approach them.

If you send in pictures, do not call and ask about your submission.  Notwithstanding what was said above, most agencies don't know whose submissions they have already reviewd and tossed.  If they like you, they will call you.  It's a pain in the ass for agencies to have to answer "Did you get my pictures?" calls.

Apr 28 06 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Bethany Elyse wrote:
When you approach any agency which is better to use? I don't want to waste money doing one or the other if it's not correct. (re: Book or Comp)

Have been shooting with agencies for some time now & each has its' own personality ...

... but likely if you're just coming in to introduce yourself, even a handful of snapshots might work (i.e., include a nice, clean headshot & a full-length).

If the agency is interested in you, you will be helped ("Model Development") to find the right photographers (most agencies keep a list) to acquire the specific type photos your agency uses for marketing purposes, then to develop a Comp card along the same standards.

FML

Apr 28 06 08:23 pm Link

Model

That name is taken

Thanks for all the information *taking notes furiously*!

Apr 29 06 08:34 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

If you are going to open calls all you need are photos.

Comp cards are for clients.

If you are signed by an agency they will most likely throw away everything you have and have you test, test, test. When they feel you have a strong enough book to start seeing clients.. THEN they will put together a card for you.

So, work on your photographs. smile

Rachel

Apr 29 06 04:56 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

But I thought bringing polaroids only works for girls who are younger? If you're already in your 20's don't they suggest a portfolio of maybe just 3 strong looks? I just made a thread based on this question. Its all so confusing. There's never any set rules to this stuff

Apr 29 06 05:21 pm Link