Forums > General Industry > can i make money doin this?

Photographer

dennis potter

Emeryville, California, US

im used to starving as a painter. im a recently laid off art teacher, and wonder; can i make money doin this? brief non vicious replies appreciated.
haha.
love this site, its too much fun. replacing the chat rooms here.
thanks
d

Apr 28 06 05:07 am Link

Model

Monika Maple

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dennis,
The question is not can you make money doing this, but rather do you have the drive to make money do this!  The truth is, the general model population will rarely pay a photographer for his/her time.  TFP/TFCD has taken the modelling and photography industry by storm, and frankly killed many jobs in it's wake.  What is has leave is the ability for newcommers and artists (for the sake of art) to be able to pull together images with much less cost. 
The only true ways to make money as a photographer is to find the money yourself.  Either get an agent, become a stock photographer, work on commisioned projects or find websites to buy your images.  Basically, if you want to make money, you need to work HARD for it.  It is a personal business, and with every personal business come the problem of never knowing your monthly income PLUS many, many, many man-hours.
Hope that helps. 
MM

Apr 28 06 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

dennis potter wrote:
im used to starving as a painter. im a recently laid off art teacher, and wonder; can i make money doin this? brief non vicious replies appreciated.
haha.
thanks
d

I think there are a lot of photographers and models out there who think we should make money off of each other. To me, this is like plumbers and electricians looking for work from each other -- wrong, wrong, wrong. These are COMPLIMENTARY professions that need each other -- you need to work to make money from somebody else TOGETHER.

So my advice is to look for CLIENTS that require your skills as a photographer -- manufacturers of clothing and accessories, retailers, hotels, restaurants and resorts, events, and so forth. Put up a website, place some ads, join local professional organizations and meet the businessmen and women who hire photographers and buy photos. Network, network!

In my experience, photography is based largely on who you know and what your reputation is -- and this typically takes about two years to develop to the point where you have a steady income. So if you've just been laid off, the start-up costs of the business are going to bury you, and the slow ramp of income will put the nails in your coffin. So, you're going to need another job, and do photography part-time for a year or two.

Been there, done that! My sole source of income is now photography. It was a tough road and still is, but I wouldn't do anything else.

Best wishes,
Paul

Apr 28 06 09:42 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

bang bang photo wrote:
I think there are a lot of photographers and models out there who think we should make money off of each other. To me, this is like plumbers and electricians looking for work from each other -- wrong, wrong, wrong. These are COMPLIMENTARY professions that need each other -- you need to work to make money from somebody else TOGETHER.

What a great way to describe the relationship between model and photographer!  It's nice to see that someone really gets how this whole thing works.  To the OP, if you work hard enough, you can make money doing anything.  Best of luck to you!

Apr 28 06 09:57 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

bang bang photo wrote:
These are COMPLIMENTARY professions that need each other...

Complimentary indeed.  We need models to pat on our backs, and vice versa.  lol  (You mean "complementary"?).  smile

Can you make money out of "this"?  What is "this"?  Shooting portfolios?  Shooting models?  Being on MM?  What kind of photography?

Portfolios?  Rarely.  I know one person who actually shoots portfolio for a living, but only one.  The rest shoots for clients.

Can you make money?  Sure, how much?  I don't know.  Surely some photographers are making a living.

Do you have the skills?  Do you have the contacts?  If not, how much are you willing to sacrifice and get involved?

Is there a market for your work?  Who are your customers?  How large is this market?  How much are they willing to pay you?

Anything can make money.  It's up to you.

Apr 28 06 10:00 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

bang bang photo wrote:

So my advice is to look for CLIENTS that require your skills as a photographer -- manufacturers of clothing and accessories, retailers, hotels, restaurants and resorts, events, and so forth. Put up a website, place some ads, join local professional organizations and meet the businessmen and women who hire photographers and buy photos. Network, network!

In my experience, photography is based largely on who you know and what your reputation is -- and this typically takes about two years to develop to the point where you have a steady income. So if you've just been laid off, the start-up costs of the business are going to bury you, and the slow ramp of income will put the nails in your coffin. So, you're going to need another job, and do photography part-time for a year or two.

Been there, done that! My sole source of income is now photography. It was a tough road and still is, but I wouldn't do anything else.

Best wishes,
Paul

Clapping.  I agree.  Find somebody to pay us all.  Yay!  Hee.

Apr 28 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Blackmirror Photogenics

New York, New York, US

dennis potter wrote:
haha.
thanks
d

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos264.htm
Median annual earnings of salaried photographers were $26,080 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $18,380 and $37,370. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $15,000, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $54,180. Median annual earnings in the industries employing the largest numbers of salaried photographers were $32,800 for newspapers and periodicals and $23,100 for other professional, scientific, and technical services.

Salaried photographers—more of whom work full time—tend to earn more than those who are self-employed. Because most freelance and portrait photographers purchase their own equipment, they incur considerable expense acquiring and maintaining cameras and accessories. Unlike news and commercial photographers, few fine arts photographers are successful enough to support themselves solely through their art.

Apr 28 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

dennis potter

Emeryville, California, US

great stuff here, thanks for all. i wouldnt consider making money from models a real job, hay. the working together answer is the right one. im a lousy entrepreneur, and hate that work, too lazy and hermity is the truth. u guys rock for answering this.
i think the photo business is much larger and more expansive than the fine art business, but both need networking and connections and business head. yes? fine art world, galleries etc. is one bitchy tight place, and hard to negotiate at all. maybe photo world is wider. more professional. im sure that fine art photogs have the same probs as fine artists. yes?
thanks again.

May 03 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

lll wrote:

Complimentary indeed.  We need models to pat on our backs, and vice versa.  lol  (You mean "complementary"?).  smile

I never realized those were two different words! lol

BTW, where can I find the codes for the different smilies??

Oh ya, and I agree with bang bang too (by the way, how's pebbles?  sorry, that was bam bam big_smile)

May 03 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

bang bang photo wrote:

Best wishes,
Paul

Second (Although, photography isn't my main source of income yet).

blackmirror wrote:
Salaried photographers—more of whom work full time—tend to earn more than those who are self-employed. Because most freelance and portrait photographers purchase their own equipment, they incur considerable expense acquiring and maintaining cameras and accessories.

I don't think this statement is accurate.
Most self employed photographers make a substantial amount over what a salaried photographer makes (especially with the prices you have listed (Unless of course, you take into account the flood of amateurs that undercut the shit out of each other)).

May 03 06 02:19 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

The only people I know who make a living doing photography either shoot for agencies in NY/LA/Chicago, or do weddings and senior portraits elsewhere.  The answer to your question depends on what you want to do, and where you want to do it.

May 03 06 05:07 pm Link