Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > When doing multiple looks in one day?

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

My question concerns doing more then one look in a night. I was curiouse which you would suggest :

A) If you have to do sevral looks for a shoot that night, do you have the model wash her face free of allll the makeup inbetween each new thing of makeup. If so, do u think this takes too long and may irritate some photographers?

B) or do you only wash away the eyemakeup and attempt to adapt over the preexisting shoot's makeup?

Apr 27 06 10:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Liz Dungate

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

If time is an issue, I try to plan the shots (with the photographer) to start with the most natural make-up/hair and build from there.

For instance, start with a natural dewy base (no powder, a touch of concealer if needed) with soft colour for eyes/lips; next blot the dewy surface and apply a more finished look with foundation and powder as well as some contrast to eyes and lips, kind of an Audrey Hepburn thing; then maybe finish with dark smokey eyes, a bit of bronzing contour and rich lips.

In this way you daon't have to wash up in between looks which can cause time delays and sometimes distress your skin trying to get off the old stuff.

Hope this helps

Liz

Apr 27 06 11:27 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Okay,  since I want to learn Makeup I will put myself out there.

I am not afraid to be wrong,  that is how we learn.

Start with the cleanest look.
Then build up from that point.
Tearing down and starting all over is just crazy talk.

Leave the wildest looks for the latter part of the shoot but do not wait too long or it will not get down.

Also if doing serious makeup,  a break between look such as food is a good idea.

Apr 27 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Hmm alright.. i ask because im first doing 3 shoots in a row one night and its not realy a situation where minimal makeup is too much of an option. And its all for mostly wild out there makeup since 2 of the 3 shoots are strictly beauty makeup shots actualy. I was curiouse how that would work.. ne suggestions on a good product that takes makeup off real quick? i usualy use vasline and then a facial cleanser when im press for time

Apr 27 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Phillip Ritchie

Costa Mesa, California, US

Kassandra wrote:
My question concerns doing more then one look in a night. I was curiouse which you would suggest :

A) If you have to do sevral looks for a shoot that night, do you have the model wash her face free of allll the makeup inbetween each new thing of makeup. If so, do u think this takes too long and may irritate some photographers?

B) or do you only wash away the eyemakeup and attempt to adapt over the preexisting shoot's makeup?

If  I am  are testing  for different looks,  I plan my shots with the make up artist and stylist .
   I also say the shoot has to be opened ended as to what time it finishes, if it is an evening shoot to test say start at 6pm may not finish until 2am  there is no point in shooting if you do get what you all want ,
so every body agrees no time limit  other wise no shoot .

I also want my team and the model to get the look that we want ,some times it will mean changing the lighting , different cloths, plus makeup changes,and hair and some times clean the face and start over .

I work only in  digital so I edit the shots  in-between shooting ,  we look at each shot as we work and make changes as we go,  the model can see what she has to do, as  the  makeup and stylist can see  if any changes are needed,

I look at all of it plus lighting  etc,  this not much different than a commercial shoot other than the model may be easy to work with , time is money but you still have to get the shot ,  in fashion  it can take a while to set up the the look that the  AD wants, or if it is a test,  what you want , plus you still shoot additional looks .

you here of shoots taking 10 to 12 hours they do and the model just waits,  while  we all work setting up and doing make up etc

if you worry about time  and the photographer waiting , you will not get what you want,   photographers do not complain as the final look is down to them,
they can not say well I did not see that, when I click the shutter there is no one else, I have to see every thing.

you just can not rush , your next job depends on it ,  fashion and style are all ways changing.

I do not all ways get to shoot the latest look so I test,  so I can show that in my book to get more work ,  testing to me is a win win  situation for me the makeup artist hair stylist and the model .

these are just my thoughts and what I do they may not be yours and we all have a choice this is mine

Phillip

Apr 28 06 12:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rachel J

Everett, Washington, US

Kassandra wrote:
Hmm alright.. i ask because im first doing 3 shoots in a row one night and its not realy a situation where minimal makeup is too much of an option. And its all for mostly wild out there makeup since 2 of the 3 shoots are strictly beauty makeup shots actualy. I was curiouse how that would work.. ne suggestions on a good product that takes makeup off real quick? i usualy use vasline and then a facial cleanser when im press for time

An oil based makeup remover takes make up off fast and well, I also like using the Mac makeup wipes. I am not a big fan of Vaseline for that.
If you are careful you should be able to start over with the eyes after removing the makeup, although, it is not always great when doing intricate work.
You can't always fit in as many looks as they want without proper time in between. Careful planing is the best way to really make it happen.
Good luck

Apr 28 06 04:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

Kassandra wrote:

I wouldnt sudget using Vasline on the face this product makes alot of people break out, and I dont see how adding something like a pretrolum jelly to the face would make the make-up removal time quicker.
any way to the question at hand.....
I usually start with the "less" make-up look first then add unless your models starts to "molt" (make-up craking and falling off kinda like a drag queen at the end of a night) then leave the foundation on and work around what you want to change, or remove everything and start again. This is just going to take more time, but in some cases its the best thing to do to get the best result. It really depends on the situation, the model and the photographer and you as to what you do and in what order. But if your gluing stuff to the face do this last as it can leave red marks on the skin. smile I learned this one from a trial and error . It all about finding what works for you .... hope that helps..Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Arisity

Apr 28 06 06:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

it really depends on the look. i like to start with a simple look. if thats what i am going for. but like phillip said, the more time you have the better, especially with testing. thats not saying spend 2 hours on one basic makeup look, but it is saying, i want to get the best picture possible.

also be aware of the models skin. most experienced agency girls have pretty resilient skin and they know how to take care of it- they usually have a duffle with THEIR cleanser, toner and moisturizer- stuff that their skin is used to and works. I don't really worry about the quality of their care products, as they are usually top of the line and much better than the ones that I have in my kit (which are basic wipes, apricot scrub and a basic cleanser).

Apr 28 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

RDSPhill wrote:
If  I am  are testing  for different looks,  I plan my shots with the make up artist and stylist.

Sums it up. Unless there's some seriously gonzo-level time-consuming set and lighting changes, the makeup and styling is what takes the most time. It only makes sense to schedule around that.

(The rest of Phill's postwas equally useful.)

To answer the original question: "it depends". Based on the makeup designs, it may be necessary to go back to the foundation, or it may be possible to do tuning.

Apr 28 06 02:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rhonda M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Kassandra wrote:

Mandy from Deadly Designs is absolutely correct.  I am a makeup artist and I have had this scenario before.  You definetely want to start with the looks that require less makeup.  Be mindful that removing dark or heavy makeup can be a real pain because the makeup will smear and cause the artist to use a lot more product than necessary to cover up the heavier makeup removal.

Good luck to you!

Apr 28 06 03:05 pm Link