Forums > General Industry > question about payment for a magazine pic

Model

jon horsethief

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

i work full time as a nude figure model for various schools and studios in Philadelphia.
one of the studios where i work had a guest instructor come down from New York for a week long workshop. i'm guessing the guy is kind of a big deal, because a fairly well known arts magazine sent a reporter and photographer down to whip up a profile about him.
i didn't think much of it at the time, but today i got a phone call from the studio, saying they wanted to use a picture that prominently features me in the foreground and could i please come in and review the pictures and sign a release?
also, the woman from the studio said that she had talked to the man in charge at the magazine and asked about comensation, which he agreed to.

so here's my question - what is a ballpark fair price to ask for this?

obviously, the magazine story isn't about me, it's about the artist.
i am naked in it, but it's from the back/side, and you can't see my face or anything more than a hint of buttcheek.
this isn't a huge magazine, but i'm betting they do ok and have a budget for this kind of thing.
i didn't sign a release or anything of the sort at the time, i just gave the photographer verbal permission to include me (in the background, covered, i was assuming) in pictures he took.

Apr 27 06 01:03 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Whats your normal hourly rate? Use that times the number of hours involved maybe?

Apr 27 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

If it is a small magazine, my guess is that they won't have a very big budget.  They certainly aren't going to pay you a large sum for the image.  But being published is good.  Since you normally do nudes and this photo isn't particularly revealing (and aparently doesn't show your face), you shouldn't be too concerned.

I would ask them for a starting point in the negotiations and then go from there.

Let us know how much you finally get.

Apr 27 06 01:12 pm Link

Model

jon horsethief

i don't have one?
i've only posed for a handful of photographers, and they've all been TFP/TFCD, because i'm kinda new to all this (isn't it obvious?).
also, i don't know how many hours to say it all took, because i wasn't hired to pose for the photographer, i was hired to pose for the class.
the studio was already paying me $15/hr, the usual for a class there.

it'd be kinda (but not entriely) like if i was working the register at a retail job and someone came in to take pictures for a profile of the store manager and ended up using a picture of me behind the counter as the cover of the article.

...except i'm naked, and i probably wouldn't be at a hypothetical retail job.

Apr 27 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

jon horsethief

also, yeah,  you're right Alan. i'm not expecting too much for this. nothing to retire off of, but even a little bit of pay would be much much much appreciated.
i just don't want to cheat myself.
and i don't want to quote such a ridiculously high amount that they hang up on me.

Apr 27 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Jon its not obvious!! I thought you knew what you were doing lol. Maybe start at $100 and see what kind of reaction you get? If the person freaks out go lower and if not you get $100? Whenever this kind of thing has happened to me its been planned ahead of time. I dont know what I would if it was after the fact!

Apr 27 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

jon horsethief

yeah, i think that's the sticky part... it's all after the fact.

also, in case anyone's curious, this is the pose/workshop that led to the "permanently flattened buttcheek" drawing that's in my portfolio.

also, semi-side note:
the camera angle in the picture they want to use was unflattering and it makes me look like i have a beer belly roll sad

Apr 27 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

WZ Photography

Squamish, British Columbia, Canada

I work for a local paper from time to time and they usually pay me about $50 par image that I submit.  Mind you, it's not an image of me.

I think if you asked for anywhere between $50 - $250 depending on the size of the image, that should be sufficient.

Those are just my thoughts.

Wal

Apr 27 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

WZ Photography

Squamish, British Columbia, Canada

I work for a local paper from time to time and they usually pay me about $50 par image that I submit.  Mind you, it's not an image of me.

I think if you asked for anywhere between $50 - $250 depending on the size of the image, that should be sufficient.

Those are just my thoughts.

Wal

Apr 27 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

jon horsethief

from what i understand, it will be a full page picture.
the cover of the article (not of the whole magazine though - although that would certainly change things too)

Apr 27 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

jon horsethief wrote:
what is a ballpark fair price to ask for this?

you need to get with one of the published photographers in your area to discuss what's standard there; rates will vary from location to location ... but mostly depend on what particular usage rights are being sought.

best wishes,
FML

Apr 27 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

anyone?
any more advice?

Apr 28 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's unusual for a magazine of any size to pay more than $150 for a model for "editorial use".  And that includes paying for a full day of posing, plus usage.

In this case you were already being paid for posing, and the only issue is usage.  Since this is "editorial use" you can't expect much, particularly from a small magazine.  If they give you $100 you will be very lucky indeed.

Apr 28 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

jon horsethief wrote:
i am naked in it, but it's from the back/side, and you can't see my face or anything more than a hint of buttcheek.

Consider it a nice thing that you were contacted.  Without recognition through facial features there is no obligation for a Release or even credit to you, including payment.

I suspect the studio you worked with are fair minded people.  Support that by letting them know you are willing to accept from them whatever is fair in their mind.  A show of returned good faith is one of the things that may create more work for you down the road.

Apr 28 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

i was indeed thinking somewhere around "a hundred or two", figuring they'd talk me down, but i didn't know what the usual rates were.
still, i would be superstoked for $100. any little bit counts.

Apr 28 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

bd miller

Los Angeles, California, US

I would have to agree with area291... It's nice they contacted you and even nicer if they give you some compensation. ..but truth be told, you really aren't entitled to any money. You aren't recognizable. You weren't modeling for the magazine or to sell anything. You were photographed doing your job which you were paid for. This falls more under the category of news photography or documentary photography, for which the subjects are almost never paid. And you were told you were being photographed and signed a release.

I'm all for people being paid to do what they do, but this isn't one of those cases.

peace,

bd

Apr 28 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

bd miller

Los Angeles, California, US

Also...I'm assuming there are other people in the photo, maybe students drawing, that are perhaps even more recognizable...?...are they being paid? One can't make the assumption that because they are a "model" they will be paid every time they appear in a photo.

Apr 28 06 10:56 am Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

i wasn't even the one who brought up the issue of being paid.
the woman from the studio asked the editor of the magazine (before i was even contacted), and he agreed to it.
and after posting this thread, i wrote to him to get the ball rolling. and in his response, before i could even quote a price, he suggested $200.

how happy am i?
pretty happy.

Apr 29 06 08:58 pm Link