Forums > General Industry > How Models Interact With Photographers

Photographer

polaresque

Oakland, California, US

Hi everyone!

I'm doing a term paper on how models interact with photographers and am primarily looking for scientific journal or normal periodical articles on the subject, and I have no idea where to look.  Does anybody know of any photography journals or any resources that I should consider?

Apr 27 06 01:50 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I wish I knew. That would probably be interesting reading.

Apr 27 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

JCW

Beltsville, Maryland, US

Many - many years ago late 80s or early 90s American Photo ran a issue relating to the "super" Models it had some interesting quotes about what a model brought to the shoot from the model's point of view

note: my memory can not be held responsible for any accurate recollection

Apr 27 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Wayne Collins Photos

Largo, Florida, US

I have been shooting models for 4 decades. Have a video on two projects I did with models. If you want to interview me just ask. I have many good, wild, strange, interesting, dangerious, confusing, sad, privilaged true stories you may want to hear. Worked with Many celebs. Too they are a book all of there own. Wayne

Apr 27 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

Not quite a scientific journal but an interesting series of articles by Norm La Coe may be found on UnblinkingEye.com

Emotion in Photographs:  the Landscape Nude
http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Emotion/emotion.html

and

Part Two:  Emotion in Photographs: The Landscape Nude - Show Me Who You Are
http://www.unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Em02/em02.html

Also see:

William Mortensen and George Dunham: photography as collaboration
by
Diane Dillon
Art Abstracts v. 33 (1998) p. 31-79

article examining the collaboration between William Mortensen and his friend and colleague George Dunham. Dunham was Mortensen's model for a wide range of images, and he ghostwrote the texts for the publications that appeared under Mortensen's name alone.

An hour or so exploring some art history and criticism databases at your library should yield a few more.

Apr 27 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

if this is a college paper, see if your school library has subscriptions to any scholarly article/journal resources like JSTOR, Lexisnexus or ProQuest...

Apr 27 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I did some googleing for "psychology of photography" and "psychology of photographing models" which bring up a lot of potential links to check out.  Many years ago, I actually found a book at the library titled "The Psychology of Photography" and it was excellent!  It was out of print back then, and I have not been able to find it ... of course I'm not taking the time needed to dig up something that is buried deep right now.  Maybe sometime soon I'll be able to locate it again?

Best of luck on your research!

Patrick

Apr 27 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

These all have something about the psychology of photography, and some indirectly or by extrapolation, the psychology of modeling.

Good luck!
Curt
-------------
Perception and photography [by] Richard D. Zakia. Zakia, Richard D.
Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall [1974, c1975]

Photographing the self : methods for observing personal orientations / Robert C. Ziller. Ziller, Robert C. (Robert Charles), 1924-
Newbury Park, CA : Sage, 1990.

Female subjects in black and white : race, psychoanalysis, feminism / edited by Elizabeth Abel, Barbara Christian, Helene Moglen.
Berkeley : University of California Press, c1997.

Image-based research : a sourcebook for qualitative researchers / edited by Jon Prosser. London ; Bristol, PA : Falmer Press, 1998.

Ziller, Robert C. (Robert Charles), 1924-
Photographing the self : methods for observing personal orientations / Robert C. Ziller. Newbury Park, CA : Sage, 1990.

Calle, Sophie.
Exquisite pain / Sophie Calle.
New York : Thames & Hudson, 2005.
A visual record of the artist's failed relationship with her lover.

Apr 27 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Savage

Encinitas, California, US

Wow Curt....they kinda lobbed one right down the middle for you, eh?  wink

Apr 27 06 09:01 pm Link