Forums > General Industry > Recreating pictures

Model

Belle OHara

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Recently, I was going through the unedited shots that a photographer and friend had given me from several shoots we have done together, and saw several that had a lot of potential for finshed images, but I knew there was next to no hope of him editing them and if he does, it will be more to showcase his own ability than me as the model or my ability, so another friend and photographer of mine and I decided to recreate these looks in his studio so that we could both play with them and actually have them to use for both of our portfolios.  However, I am not sure if I should tell the other photographer about recreating these looks, because he gets very teritorial about things he has shot and might demand that I not use them even though he did not shoot the ones that have been edited, simply because they look almost exactly like the ones he took.  I have finished a couple of them and would love to put them up, but again, I am not sure what to do.  Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Apr 26 06 11:14 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

well, um, not much point in the photos if you can't use them....and i think now that you posted this in a public forum there is a pretty good chance he'll find out anyway.

but what you did is not acceptable. in my opinion.

Apr 26 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Belle OHara wrote:
Recently, I was going through the unedited shots that a photographer and friend had given me from several shoots we have done together, and saw several that had a lot of potential for finshed images, but I knew there was next to no hope of him editing them and if he does, it will be more to showcase his own ability than me as the model or my ability, so another friend and photographer of mine and I decided to recreate these looks in his studio so that we could both play with them and actually have them to use for both of our portfolios.  However, I am not sure if I should tell the other photographer about recreating these looks, because he gets very teritorial about things he has shot and might demand that I not use them even though he did not shoot the ones that have been edited, simply because they look almost exactly like the ones he took.  I have finished a couple of them and would love to put them up, but again, I am not sure what to do.  Any advice or suggestions would be great.

I understand what you say about photogs being very territorial and it's true. It's also true that most of that comes from weak egos. So if he gets mad - he gets mad - so what? Last time I checked no one can demand anything of you unless they were in some sort of law enforcement.

That photg needs to understand that there is nothing new under the sun and he certainly doesn't own the rights to a theme.

Moreover, you and another photographer couldn't reprodce the setting 100% anyway. There's always a different point of view, point of perception, and overall tone. These things make a big difference.

So if he gets mad - oh well.

Apr 26 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

Belle OHara

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I'm not sure how it would be wrong...I liked how the pictures looked, it was me in the images, all I did was give another photographer the basic information he needed to recreate the same look so that I could have it...just looking for a bit more of an explination.  If I've done something wrong, I'd like to know, because I don't believe recreating a look of my own is all that bad.

Apr 26 06 11:32 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Go on a commercial or even editorial shoot and see how often this happens.

This is not all that uncommon.

Apr 26 06 11:51 pm Link

Model

Belle OHara

Louisville, Kentucky, US

MHana wrote:
Go on a commercial or even editorial shoot and see how often this happens.

This is not all that uncommon.

Seriously?  I'm glad to hear that...recreating them gives me the chance to work on my PS skills with shots that I love and it gives the second photographer who has been a good friend of mine for a long time the chance to challenge himself and grow by attempting to recreate the work I have done with someone who's been doing it for a loooong time. Cool...I'll get the pics up soon, hopefully.  Just a little tweaking left to do. smile Thanks.

Apr 26 06 11:58 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Belle OHara wrote:

Seriously?  I'm glad to hear that...recreating them gives me the chance to work on my PS skills with shots that I love and it gives the second photographer who has been a good friend of mine for a long time the chance to challenge himself and grow by attempting to recreate the work I have done with someone who's been doing it for a loooong time. Cool...I'll get the pics up soon, hopefully.  Just a little tweaking left to do. smile Thanks.

I said it happens,  I did not say it was the right thing to do.

Apr 27 06 12:06 am Link

Model

Belle OHara

Louisville, Kentucky, US

My mistake...I misunderstoode what you said.  I guss I just don't get how recreating work that I have done previously is wrong...any explination is welcome.

Apr 27 06 12:13 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Belle OHara wrote:
My mistake...I misunderstoode what you said.  I guss I just don't get how recreating work that I have done previously is wrong...any explination is welcome.

do not copy,  combine and make it new.

If looking at new ads then go to the book store or library and combine the new ideas with those of the past.  Not just the most famous but many images ignored in so many magazines,   old vogues from the 30,  40's, 50's, or 60's, 

I have a large collection of spin magazines and almost every issue of Interview magazine.

If you like an idea combine it with another and this is how you will find your style.

For the consistent end product will be your vision not just a copy.

Apr 27 06 12:24 am Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

00siris wrote:
I understand what you say about photogs being very territorial and it's true. It's also true that most of that comes from weak egos. So if he gets mad - he gets mad - so what? Last time I checked no one can demand anything of you unless they were in some sort of law enforcement.

I agree about the whole territorial thing.  I can remember times I'd tell a photographer I've shot with that I have a shoot coming up with a certain photog., and they'll be like "Who is the photographer?," "What are you guys shooting?," etc. 

Anyway, getting back to the situation here...like 00siris said, if the photographer gets mad, oh well.  You even said that the photographer probably won't edit the pics anyway, so why leave them "as is" when you know someone who's capable of making them even better?  I did a shoot recently that I PAID FOR, and in that time I had to wait to get the damn CD in the mail, you would think the photog. would've edited some pics like he's SUPPOSED TO.  Nope...it was a CD of raw images, so I had to do all the editing myself.  Some of the photos from that shoot are on my MM page and my OMP page, and no I don't have his name listed in the photo credits because I don't think he deserves to be credited for what I did.  When I left him messages (phone/e-mail) kindly asking him to edit some of the pics, he never even called/e-mailed me back.  So do I think that I was wrong for editing my pics that he took?  HELL NO.  He didn't give me what I paid for, but I'm definitely not gonna just let some raw images sit there and go unnoticed and "unposted" (online)...lol, and I think I did a good job with editing the pics myself.

Apr 27 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

You yourself think its wrong already, and almost everyone else here has said it was a wrong thing to copy what you did originally with another photographer.
So now its up to you what you want to do.

If I were the other photographer whos ideas you copied or what not, personally I wouldn't get all upset and huffy. Then again Im not like that. Some people are however.

I say tell him and use the pictures if you feel they look good. Worse case scenario you may not be able to work with him any longer ....

Apr 27 06 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I would say to use the images. If he didn't PS those images for you then he obviously wasn't particularly happy with the way they came out so he has no reason to be upset... IMHO!

Apr 27 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

You don't state if you had a contract spelling out what he was supposed to do - I presume you didn't - it was a CD shoot, right?

OK, what you did comes under the heading of "stealing someone else's work" - and the courts don't look kindly on that.

I realize this probably will never come to that point as most here are not pros,but as a photographer, I myself would never do this - it's basically stealing someone else's work - and I won't do that - and I have to much pride to copy the work of others..

Neither do I condone him not answering your emails - I presume as you say, they were nicely worded.

This email illustrates the problem with handing someone a CD with all the raw images. Just one of the reasons I never do this - as the photographer/creator of the images I make sure I have full control of them - and only give finished images as part of whatever compensation is agreed upon - never a raw cd of the whole shoot.

And I copyright all my images - after every shoot - and I defend my work - in other words - if someone steals my work - or copy it to the extent that it's clearly using one of my images as a "master" for a copy - I will certainly take appropriate action - or rather, my attorney will - and have.

As for territorial "egos" - only those who know they are deficient as a photographer are insecure enough to be that way - pros don't care a flying hoot whoever else you shoot with - as long as you produce what they want or look for when you work with them. None of us shoot like the other so we simply don't care. My best friend is a photographer - we share everything we learn and we both are better off because of it.

But we don't copy each others images - even if we decide to do a project where we both shoot the same thing/model - the images still come out totally different - so we don't copy.

Still, what *you* did was wrong - whatever *you* think - *you* have no right to either copy/recreate or change the images this guy shot and gave you - and that you have no qualms about doing this tells is very telling - and it is sad to read that "photographers" here on this site think it is ok. Not much pride in their own images, I think if they think it's ok for another photographer to redo/reshoot *their* work so as to make it *better*..

Apr 27 06 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

If a model came to me with some images and said "Please can we copy these", I would say no. Not because of some legal reason, but because I would feel cheap, like my ideas and work were not good enough on their own.

Now I have spent studio time recreating other photographers shots, but I would never show them. I want to learn how they set the lighting, created the feel so that I might learn more. But again, showing them would feel cheap.

However, where do you draw the line. If you did a shoot with a photog and you did your hair, makeup and supplied the cloths. Then you shot on a white BG. I would say its ok for you to do your hair, makeup and clothes the same and shoot on a white BG, because its a vanilla concept. If there were props, a setting and poses that were specific, then its not ok, because its the photographers ideas you are copying.

It depends on what exactly you are copying.

Apr 27 06 02:36 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

My thought is who did the styling? Did you come in with your clothing and did you or he choose the outfits? Who did your make-up, did the photographer have specific things he asked of you to create something from their head or was it a more lets shoot kinda thing?

Like I shoot a lot of shapes through backgrounds, I would be upset if a model on one of my shoots went and recreated that lighting cause it is something of my own. But if it was just a look sad, put your hair up, and do your own make-up than you were as involved in the images as he was.

So it comes down to, how involved were you in creating the looks for the first photographer?

Star

Apr 27 06 02:44 am Link

Photographer

Itaysha

Brooklyn, New York, US

ChristerArt wrote:
You don't state if you had a contract spelling out what he was supposed to do - I presume you didn't - it was a CD shoot, right?

OK, what you did comes under the heading of "stealing someone else's work" - and the courts don't look kindly on that.

I realize this probably will never come to that point as most here are not pros,but as a photographer, I myself would never do this - it's basically stealing someone else's work - and I won't do that - and I have to much pride to copy the work of others..

Neither do I condone him not answering your emails - I presume as you say, they were nicely worded.

This email illustrates the problem with handing someone a CD with all the raw images. Just one of the reasons I never do this - as the photographer/creator of the images I make sure I have full control of them - and only give finished images as part of whatever compensation is agreed upon - never a raw cd of the whole shoot.

And I copyright all my images - after every shoot - and I defend my work - in other words - if someone steals my work - or copy it to the extent that it's clearly using one of my images as a "master" for a copy - I will certainly take appropriate action - or rather, my attorney will - and have.

As for territorial "egos" - only those who know they are deficient as a photographer are insecure enough to be that way - pros don't care a flying hoot whoever else you shoot with - as long as you produce what they want or look for when you work with them. None of us shoot like the other so we simply don't care. My best friend is a photographer - we share everything we learn and we both are better off because of it.

But we don't copy each others images - even if we decide to do a project where we both shoot the same thing/model - the images still come out totally different - so we don't copy.

Still, what *you* did was wrong - whatever *you* think - *you* have no right to either copy/recreate or change the images this guy shot and gave you - and that you have no qualms about doing this tells is very telling - and it is sad to read that "photographers" here on this site think it is ok. Not much pride in their own images, I think if they think it's ok for another photographer to redo/reshoot *their* work so as to make it *better*..

Well Stated "CHristerArt"... you should have just did a new and BETTER shoot, never duplicating (on purpous)

Apr 27 06 02:48 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Copy.  Plagiarise.  Recreate.  I do it shamelessly.

Actually, the result will probably not be that close to the original, for a variety of reasons, especially if, once you think you've got your copy shot in the bag, you try for a number of variations on the shot.  Slightly different poses, lighting, etc., as well as working up the pics afterwards, can make a huge difference to the finished work, and you could well end up with something even better.

Apr 27 06 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Paulo Rodrigues

London, England, United Kingdom

If he is a friend of yours, I would be up-front about it, there is more chance of a happy outcome than if you try and keep it from him. He may be flattered, or pleased to see his ideas from a different perspective. If he is upset about it, he will be more likely to get over it if he doesnt think you have been sneaky about it.

Apr 27 06 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

My question is why does ANTM always do this? I mean they have all those people to set up new ideas but instead it is something Tyra did before. I guess it could be a comparison to her image but I have a feeling she likes to show photos as much as possible lol.

Apr 27 06 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Go for it. Nobody owns a copyright on a look. How many of the photographers on MM have you heard say that they keep mags around to show models how to pose for their shots? What you are doing is the same thing except you are using images of yourself.

Apr 27 06 07:30 am Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Lens N Light wrote:
Go for it. Nobody owns a copyright on a look. How many of the photographers on MM have you heard say that they keep mags around to show models how to pose for their shots? What you are doing is the same thing except you are using images of yourself.

No, but they own the copyright on that IMAGE - and copying that image is copyright infringement - if YOU as a PHOTOGRAPHER doesn't know that or don't care - oh boy...

Apr 27 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

ChristerArt wrote:
No, but they own the copyright on that IMAGE - and copying that image is copyright infringement - if YOU as a PHOTOGRAPHER doesn't know that or don't care - oh boy...

Oh dear.  Physically copying an image might be a copyright infringement, but copying a pose, lighting set-up, etc., isn't.  Which is what the guy said.

Apr 27 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Belle OHara wrote:
simply because they look almost exactly like the ones he took.  I have finished a couple of them and would love to put them up, but again, I am not sure what to do.  Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Few things. First, this is my opinion and how I do things.
The photographer has every right to be territorial over his/her work (not the models, but the work).

Put the shoe on the other foot. Let's say he shot you. Then he turns around and does almost the same exact thing with a model that looks almost exactly like you, but she's a different girl. Think about it before you burn a bridge with your "friend".

Apr 27 06 04:33 pm Link