Forums > General Industry > let's play n°2!!pick your favorite headshot!!!!

Photographer

Alli BBBBBBBBB

Syracuse, New York, US

kevin thanks for the input, much appreciated.....now the funny thing is that the bottom photo was shot before the one you like....and i was startin out then, and then of course some of these girls i shoot like that smooth plastic feel to em, so i know where you are coming from.....lately ive been shooing away from that and going more natural without airbrushing as you see in the first pic......heres another one of my faves...this shot is of a guy i work with smile

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/allibgraphx/Photography/andre_14W.jpg

Apr 28 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Alli BBBBBBBBB

Syracuse, New York, US

bump

Apr 28 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

BUGS HALLER

Omaha, Arkansas, US

not that there are not a lot of great pictures, technically and creatively, but most of the examples in this thread are "bad" headshots. Great portraits...but bad headshots that would probably get tossed in the garbage by a casting director...and especially an agent.

I'm assuming when you say headshot you mean an acting headshot right? There is a very big difference between headshots and portraits. While there are no hard and fast rules a few things must be in a great headshot.

-big expressive eyes
-the entire face as the focal point (unobstructed by anything that takes the focus away from the face)
- it has to look like you on any given day
- a marketable look, stereotype, or character "What are you selling?"

Headshots are a very dicey proposition. They must be very specific and they are actually very hard for actors and photographers to do well. Many people view them as being boring especially when you compare them against fashon or nude... but they are technically demanding and you don't have all of the leeway as you do in other types of photography. If I shoot a portrait I have a ton of leeway with shadows and framing but not with a Headshot.
I would like to hear some comments about this. Anyone.

Apr 28 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

Pho-etic wrote:
Headshots are a very dicey proposition. They must be very specific and they are actually very hard for actors and photographers to do well. Many people view them as being boring especially when you compare them against fashon or nude... but they are technically demanding and you don't have all of the leeway as you do in other types of photography. If I shoot a portrait I have a ton of leeway with shadows and framing but not with a Headshot.
I would like to hear some comments about this. Anyone.

From that description, my guess is there are very few images on the site that qualify, which would make it hard to play the game.  Does that mean that only those with true headshots in their port can play?  Or should the rules be modified to include portraits?  I recently pulled the closest image I had in my port, so I don't have anything further to offer.

Apr 28 06 11:45 pm Link

Model

el_chulo

London, England, United Kingdom

thanks for the comments who are completly true!!!That's the reason I started this thread... as I noticed that people usually don't have a "real" headshot. Maybe more people will try to have it, now?!I hope so, as it was often told me that we need a clear headshot in a portfolio. I don't want to change the rules now the game already started but I will propose to put your "best" headshot. If  there is no "headshot", then put a portrait!Is it ok for everybody???
If yes,

LET'S PLAY AGAIN.....

this one as the only headshot you have...lol
https://img3.modelmayhem.com/060321/15/ … 4c2e72.jpg

Apr 29 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

el_chulo wrote:
this one as the only headshot you have...lol
https://img3.modelmayhem.com/060321/15/ … 4c2e72.jpg

lol indeed...which one?
I'm guessing the upper right side in colour?  I played a day too late, as I had a portrait that was fairly close to the definition (well, closer than the ones in that collage).

Apr 29 06 12:33 pm Link

Model

el_chulo

London, England, United Kingdom

let s play...

May 08 06 05:39 am Link