Forums > General Industry > Models: shooting with the same photog for TFCD?

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

As a model, how often you do multiple shoots with the same photographer on a TFCD basis? Are TFCDs a one shoot stand or a serial affair?   

There's a benefit to shooting with multiple photographers to get more exposure, but maybe it's easier to use the same photographer that you trust for creative shoots. How often does that happen?

As my portfolio improves, I'm getting a higher percentage "yes" responses when I request models, but there are only so many models who will look at any particular post for models.

Developing a reputation seems difficult. Few people here even look at the photos in my port based on the counts. So... I'm thinking about asking some of the previous models if they want to shoot again.

What do you think?

Apr 26 06 11:37 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

For my nude work I avoid TFP/TFCD. However, there is a photographer on here whom I adore and I have shot TFCD with him 3 times in the past month alone! I know his work is great, I know he will get me quality images, and I trust him. I don't mind skipping the pay for someone with those kind of traits. Not to mention that his work got me showcased on omp. So I would say definately work with people more than once.

Apr 26 06 11:45 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

It depends on the quality of the work and the level of the photographer.
If I have to drive over an hour to shoot with you and all I get is a cd of usless images because you shot at noon on a sunny day, and didn't bother to edit anything then no I don't see why I should shoot with you again for another cd.

But If you are super close by*wink* and I get some great edited images that I can use and you are fun to work with, then sure I may work with you again in the future.

I also have a tendancy to work more with photographers and artist who are taking a part in the photography and art scene. ie they don't just put pretty pictures in there portfolio and then hide it under the bed.

Apr 26 06 12:01 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I prefer to shoot more than once with a photographer since there is an opportunity to discuss improvements as well as expanding on ideas.  I want to develop a diversified port, but also like to work with people that I can improve with.  For me, it's more about quality than quantity anyway.  Chances are better that your going to get great shots with someone you have some work experience with because you already know how to work together.  I have no problem working with a photog more than once on a TFP basis.  The last photos I uploaded were with a photog that I had three successive TFP shoots with.

Apr 26 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

There are a few models I work with repeatedly. I don't see anything wrong with it. Usually we work faster because comfort level and workflow are already established.

Apr 26 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Shooting with someone more than once is great if you get along,
but a headache if you don't.

But its always nice to have a productive partnership with like minded people.

Apr 26 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

The Suburban Hippie Pho

Hampstead, Maryland, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I prefer to shoot more than once with a photographer since there is an opportunity to discuss improvements as well as expanding on ideas.  I want to develop a diversified port, but also like to work with people that I can improve with.  For me, it's more about quality than quantity anyway.  Chances are better that your going to get great shots with someone you have some work experience with because you already know how to work together.  I have no problem working with a photog more than once on a TFP basis.  The last photos I uploaded were with a photog that I had three successive TFP shoots with.

Very sensible.

Mark smile

Apr 26 06 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Strahd SA

Pontefract, England, United Kingdom

I often shoot tfcd with the same models multiple times. Although we have some beautiful girls out here in South Africa the pool of models is quite limited.

The first shoot I do with someone is usually for their benefit and to check how comfortable we are together.

There is one model that I have at least 10 shoots with and the work gets better and better each time. However if we don't click I will be happy to try again if the model would like but since I have limited time for shooting I would rather spend it with someone new that I can help or someone that I have chemistry with.

I rarely have girls that don't want to shoot with me more than once.

Apr 26 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
I also have a tendancy to work more with photographers and artist who are taking a part in the photography and art scene. ie they don't just put pretty pictures in there portfolio and then hide it under the bed.

I hide under the bed - but not for the reasons you think :-)

Apr 26 06 05:05 pm Link

Model

Samantha Smead

Clive, Iowa, US

Rue 99 wrote:
As a model, how often you do multiple shoots with the same photographer on a TFCD basis? Are TFCDs a one shoot stand or a serial affair?   

There's a benefit to shooting with multiple photographers to get more exposure, but maybe it's easier to use the same photographer that you trust for creative shoots. How often does that happen?

As my portfolio improves, I'm getting a higher percentage "yes" responses when I request models, but there are only so many models who will look at any particular post for models.

Developing a reputation seems difficult. Few people here even look at the photos in my port based on the counts. So... I'm thinking about asking some of the previous models if they want to shoot again.

What do you think?

I shoot many TFCD.  I've only gotten paid maybe like three or four times now.  It varies from serial to one time for me usually depends on the photographer and the project.

When I know specific images for a important thing like submiting to a magazine I always have used the same photog thus far.  BTW Kelly Ealy is the best!

I think its a great idea to shoot with the same models if what you produced previously pleased everyone involved.  Then you form working friendships that contnue to produce wonderful work.

Apr 26 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Lawson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Well what I call repeated TFP with the same model on a regular basis is a MUSE !  Every photographer should have one and every model should be one to somebody.  That is who I use to create and experiment with.  It is like a long standing mutual agreement.  When I need something new she does it and when she needs something new I do it.  that is how you can really take out all of the confusion of should I ask them again.

Apr 26 06 05:14 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have a few photographers that I've done tfp with more than once...and I'd fly across the country to tfp with them again.  Of course those people are few and far between for all of us!  I think repeat work with a like minded artist can create amazing collaborations.

Apr 26 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Chris Ambler wrote:

I hide under the bed - but not for the reasons you think :-)

Lower doses, man, lower doses!

Apr 26 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Paul Lawson wrote:
Well what I call repeated TFP with the same model on a regular basis is a MUSE

Ah the muse. You have to love a good muse,huh.
I have a couple of models who were definitely  muses.. The girl on the truck in my portfolio shot with me 6 times TFP/TFCD. Then there is the one that I worked with 3 times, 2 of which were 2 consecutive days and resulted in what I consider my best art nudes to this day, some of which are being exhibited soon.And then there is my most recent most recent potential muse, who I have only been able to work with once so far and who happens to be involved in this thread -ahem- that is an absolute joy to work with and who I have discussed many of my ideas with and hopefully will have many shoots with to come. It is models like these who really get my creative juices flowing and it is models like these that I truly feel like I can express all of my off the wall photography theme ideas to without them sayin my god man, what the hell are you on?!

Apr 26 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I sort of have ADD when it comes to models.  There are so many wonderful people to photograph, and never enough time.  It's not that I don't want to collaborate again with the people I've already shot.  It's more that my attention is continually captivated by new shiny people.  I'm like a monkey that way.

Apr 26 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Susi wrote:
I have a few photographers that I've done tfp with more than once...and I'd fly across the country to tfp with them again.

Now that is dedication to the love of the craft right there. I have contacted some who bitched about having to go more than 20 minutes away from their home to do shoots.

Apr 26 06 05:59 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

To be honest..I shoot with who ever gets me good photos. In the end, quality photos speak the best - it doesnt matter if its from a selection of folks....a good group of photos will get you better and better shoots.

Apr 26 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Lady Atropos wrote:
To be honest..I shoot with who ever gets me good photos. In the end, quality photos speak the best - it doesnt matter if its from a selection of folks....a good group of photos will get you better and better shoots.

Every time I see that new avi of yours I think "Animal crackers in my soup..."
lol
I love that shot.

Apr 26 06 07:24 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Every time I see that new avi of yours I think "Animal crackers in my soup..."
lol
I love that shot.

LOL

~sings~
Animal Crackers in my soup...
Tomorrow they will be floating in my poop...
When I flush them, they go loopy-loop
Animal Crackers in my soup!

SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO! Have I no shame?!

Apr 26 06 07:27 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I've shot more than once with one photographer and plan to shoot with him again with him in the future.  I worked with another photographer in the past month and plan to work with him sometime soon.  I think it can be beneficial to work with someone more than once, especially if you got good images the first time and/or if you were nervous the first time.  I find that the first time you may be a little nervous and shooting again can be better, especially if you're more used to the photographer smile

Apr 26 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Lady Atropos wrote:

LOL

~sings~
Animal Crackers in my soup...
Tomorrow they will be floating in my poop...
When I flush them, they go loopy-loop
Animal Crackers in my soup!

SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO! Have I no shame?!

Ok, that is a new version,lol. You so obviously have kids smile

Apr 26 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

A Muse sounds nice. I had my chance, maybe I'll get another. I've shot a few models a couple of times, but maybe it will be easier to try more creative shots now that I have a studio.

Apr 26 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Yep- I love doing repeat tfp shoots when we click.  First shoots are like first dates. The magic happens after you're both really comfortable together, and are ready to try out new ideas, and collaborate.
A few gals were dynamite from the get-go, with little preparation. Quite rare though.

I would love ,love to have a muse. But such gals are generally SO creative - it'd be a crime for them not to circulate.

Apr 27 06 12:19 am Link