Forums > General Industry > Most photogs not including compensation details

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Sorry, that's probably the best way I could try to fit what my point is going to be in the subject line.

So, when models sign up for an account, they're ask what type of work they accept as far as compensation goes.  There is a field on every model's profile that says if they accept TFP/TFCD, paid only, or any type of work.
There's not a field for that on photographer profiles and very RARELY do they include whether they want a model to pay THEM, do a TFP/TFCD shoot, or pay models.  [A very special thank you to those who do include such information!]  When I'm looking through profiles I get very discouraged because I feel bad sending messages to photographers I'd like to work with that include my rates and I don't know if I'm insulting them or not! 

Models - Have any of you noticed this and is it a problem for you?
Photographers - Why don't you just tell us?

Apr 26 06 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Offshore Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I agree photogs should state right up fornt if they are accepting TFP or expecting compensation.
Rates need not be posted but atleast mentioned ther will be a charge.

Apr 26 06 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I prefer to discuss rates privately, myself.
As for you not feeling comfortable with telling them your rates, just be honest. Tell them that you are seeking paid work. You do it each time you apply for a job, indirectly.

There will be some jerks, there will be some that are more accepting. It is just something you have to thicken your skin for and get past.

I don`t mind a model contacting me first and giving me her rates, as long as she is not pompous and egotistical about it.At worst I would say no thanks, at best I would say ok. In between I would ask if there is anything she would be open to on a TFP/TFCD basis. Especially if they are new and have a limited portfolio. Many will not pay a model who is new. But they will do TFP/TFCD to help her build her portfolio if you do modeling they would need for theirs.

Apr 26 06 02:29 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Well i noticed alot of photographers post in thier actual Bio(for those rare models who read through them) that they do TFP/CD with exceptional models and in rare cases.  -_- what sucks is they dont get any more specific then that so your forced to gamble with a message to them "am i tfp woorrthy*glittery kitten eyes*" Not ..well..writen like that but you get the idea.

Apr 26 06 02:30 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

My best guess is if a photographer wants to pay a model they will contact the model. I kinda hate it when a model approaches me for paid work. But that’s just me.

Apr 26 06 02:34 am Link

Photographer

ipsmotorsports

Yuma, Arizona, US

Good point!  As a photographer I agree, that should be a field added so the models know if it is offered by a photographer.

ipsmotorsports.com

Apr 26 06 02:34 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

JM Dean wrote:
My best guess is if a photographer wants to pay a model they will contact the model. I kinda hate it when a model approaches me for paid work. But that’s just me.

Oh no!  ...
See, it's that kind of thing that I'm trying to avoid.
If photographers who pay models would just say so in their bio, models could contact them looking for work without sounding egotistical.

Apr 26 06 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

I always felt it was silly for a photographer to get pissy over a model asking for paid work. That is like a business getting pissy for someone applying for a paid job, imo.

Apr 26 06 02:37 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

If you contact a photographer you would like to work with, it should always be for TFP/CD or for you to pay him/her, just like I as a photographer will only offer TFP/CD or paid gigs to models.
It's kind of strange to say "I love your work and want to work with you, but you'll have to pay me"...

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 26 06 02:38 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Kassandra wrote:
Well i noticed alot of photographers post in thier actual Bio(for those rare models who read through them) that they do TFP/CD with exceptional models and in rare cases.  -_- what sucks is they dont get any more specific then that so your forced to gamble with a message to them "am i tfp woorrthy*glittery kitten eyes*" Not ..well..writen like that but you get the idea.

That is because we make the exception on a case by case basis. I do not know if the model would be tfp/tfcd worthy until I see her and we discuss ideas. If I listed all the ideas I wanted to work on, my bio would never be finished .

Apr 26 06 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Kassandra wrote:

You have an open invitation to shoot with me as soon as either of us can arrange transportation. You have a look I really like in models as well as the mad wardrobe.

CT

Apr 26 06 02:41 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

Oh no!  ...
If photographers who pay models would just say so in their bio, models could contact them looking for work without sounding egotistical.

I hate it but I don't get snappy about it lol. I usually tell them I have nothing avail. No big problem smile

Apr 26 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

If you want to find out whether or not a photographer can use you for one of their paid jobs, then ask that...
I have received plenty of emails that say something along "I am available for this type of modeling and was wondering if you have any paying opportunities/projects that you can use me on"

Of course, my response is always "You do/do not have a look I need, but I always give preference with paying work ot those models who have already worked with me"

That's why TFP/CD with good photographers is always an inverstment in your future.

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Oh no!  ...

Apr 26 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Kassandra wrote:

Aww but I like cats, how can I resist!!!

Apr 26 06 02:44 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:
If you contact a photographer you would like to work with, it should always be for TFP/CD or for you to pay him/her, just like I as a photographer will only offer TFP/CD or paid gigs to models.
It's kind of strange to say "I love your work and want to work with you, but you'll have to pay me"...

Just my 2 cents.

The way you put it, it sounds bad.  But I contact photographers a lot.. I usually look for those who SAY the pay models in their profiles, but if it's someone whose work I really like, I include my rates just in case.
A lot of times it has worked out for the better with me.

Also, on my profile it says that I'm only accepting paid work and photographers still contact me for tfp/cd shoots.

Some people are hopeful and know it doesn't hurt to ask..  Myself included.

I just think it would be a lot easier if things were more clear. 

Even if you were to put "Compensation varies completely from project to projcet" or something like that, it would help.

Apr 26 06 02:47 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:
I have received plenty of emails that say something along "I am available for this type of modeling and was wondering if you have any paying opportunities/projects that you can use me on"

Those are my favorite emails. so polite and professional.

Apr 26 06 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Helmut Augustine

Palm Springs, California, US

Hmm, myself, I would say to the models that send e-mails in saying would you like to work together... and I require pay... good for you, for marketing yourself, you never know unless you ask, right!

As for getting all pissy 'bout having a model contact you... and wanting to be paid, maybe they 'assume' your a 'professional' photographer based on your folio and use 'professional' models in your shoots.

Have we become so fast in our lives that we don't have time to 'chat' anymore?

Helmut

Apr 26 06 02:48 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Those are my favorite emails. so polite and professional.

I'll have to remember that format.

Apr 26 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

The way you put it, it sounds bad.  But I contact photographers a lot.. I usually look for those who SAY the pay models in their profiles, but if it's someone whose work I really like, I include my rates just in case.

Also, on my profile it says that I'm only accepting paid work and photographers still contact me for tfp/cd shoots.

Even if you were to put "Compensation varies completely from project to projcet" or something like that, it would help.

Very well said!!! A closed mouth gets no food.

Always be closing.

Apr 26 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

I'll have to remember that format.

Just be honest and nice. Like I said, some will be jerks, some will not. If they are, forget about them, you dont wanna deal with jerks anyway.

Apr 26 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Unfortunately there are a lot of people (models and photographers) who don't read. If I don't have a paying project to offer, I would never contact a model who is looking for paid assignments only and ask her for TFP/CD. I might, however, contact her about shooting for wardrobe if I have something I would love to shoot with her and am willing to let her have it after the shoot. I will at that time let her know that the wardrobe will be the compensation and explain what exactly she will be getting...

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

Apr 26 06 02:59 am Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

that's actually a good idea.. i mean you have to get something from the shoot.. whether it'd be photos on a cd/prints, clothing, makeup, dinner, $$ or whatever..
as long as you get some photos.. be happy!

Apr 26 06 03:22 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Mindy wrote:
that's actually a good idea.. i mean you have to get something from the shoot.. whether it'd be photos on a cd/prints, clothing, makeup, dinner, $$ or whatever..
as long as you get some photos.. be happy!

You work for dinner? Cool! Micky D's is just around the block from me smile

Apr 26 06 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

JM Dean wrote:

You work for dinner? Cool! Micky D's is just around the block from me smile

pshhh IM a mile from the 7/11,,top THAT! smile
lol

Apr 26 06 03:30 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

pshhh IM a mile from the 7/11,,top THAT! smile
lol

Shit, 5 hotdogs for a dollar! Can't beat the 7/11 wink

Apr 26 06 03:32 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

JM Dean wrote:

Shit, 5 hotdogs for a dollar! Can't beat the 7/11 wink

Cmon, Mindy. Lil ol Jimmy Dean Snausage over there aint got no game, I gots 7/11 burgers and dogs baybay!
and dont forget we can weez da slu.........................rpiessss

Apr 26 06 03:35 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

I'm very pleased that this thread can lay to rest on that note.

Apr 26 06 03:53 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
I'm very pleased that this thread can lay to rest on that note.

You want it to die? -sniffle lip quiver-

Apr 26 06 03:55 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

You have to accept the fact that the life span of your average thread is, at most, a couple hours.  They will live on in our memories and in our hearts.  You just have to let go sometimes.

Apr 26 06 03:57 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

My profile states:
"I will pay reasonable rates for art-nude models. I wont pay for Glamour or Alt shots, they will be TFP.

I will accept paid assignments for models and private customers."

And my latest booking was a model that contacted me. Her look is great so I'll happily pay her. I'm also trying to set up some TFP with less experienced models.

Remember though, TFP is not free. We still have to pay for travelling, food, equipment, clothes. Its just a trade rather than cash. It doesnt make it any less valuable for those involved.

It never hurts to ask, and photographers should just send a polite, "No thank you" if they are not interested.

I also have no problem with contacting a model to ask for TFP and/or rates and if its too high for their look saying "No thanks".

Apr 26 06 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
You have to accept the fact that the life span of your average thread is, at most, a couple hours.  They will live on in our memories and in our hearts.  You just have to let go sometimes.

-sighs with back of hand on forehead-  I shall try
lol, man I kill me

Apr 26 06 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

My rates are custom, as are all of my shoots. The only exception is when I hire a model for a client based project or my own work.

I've tried in the past to set package rates, etc., and nearly went - ok, damn near -went broke. Now, when someone contacts me for a shoot and they want to hire me, we discuss their project and I give them a price quote based on that project.

And, after 20+ years of self-employment, I've implemented what I call the "Revenue=Agony Scale": whoever has hired me must generate revenue in direct proportion to the agony they create.

When I hire a model for my own projects, to update or build my port, etc., I pay hourly or daily rates that I and the model can agree to live with and gain mutual benefit - or, I shoot trade. When I hire models for client projects, I pay according to the budget provided by the client - or the client pays.

FWIW -

Bill Ballard
Blue Water Photography
Savannah, GA
[email protected]

Apr 26 06 05:49 am Link

Photographer

NC Image Zone

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I agree photogs should place this info on their pages as well, I have had several models sending me messages requesting this information and I dont think we really need to have a special spot for it, just let it be known like your credits and so on...

Apr 26 06 05:58 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

Oh no!  ...

I PAY MODELS. But when I post on the  casting call fourms I get no replies. But when I go to a model I want to shoot with I have no problems getting her to work.
So posting is a complete waste of my time.  bs

Apr 26 06 06:16 am Link