Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Best school for makeup artists

Model

Jalene Grace

New Holland, Pennsylvania, US

Hi! I'm interested to be a makeup artist. I've been experimenting with makeup for the past 13 years and I think i'm ready to be a professional. What is the most prestigious cosmetology school in New York? I've heard that Aveda is the best one. Any suggestions?

Apr 25 06 09:55 pm Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

Currently enrolled in Mud  www.makeupschool.com and i have to say i love it. its pricey (although you *can* get a loan)

You can also check out the powder groups seminars i've heard good things about them aswell, one of the members lectured at my school last month an i loved it.

-cass

Apr 25 06 10:07 pm Link

Model

Enola

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Heya, I am a fully trained make up artist, now turned model!
I don't precisely know how it works over there, but be very wary of schools with expensive fees, as in everything. It's true that to some extent you get what you pay for, and a lot of the time what you are paying for is the contacts within the industry. You'd get the same training at a local college (or you would here), and so really it depends how BIG you want to make it.
Of course if you have the money to invest and want this really badly as a career, go for it!
If it's less than that, or you're not wanting to invest all of your money into it, maybe either take a part time course, an intro course (to make sure you really want to do it) or one of the local style courses whilst perhaps working on a beauty counter as well to gain experience and confidence. Also working on a beauty counter is great for finding potential models for your portfolio.
Good luck to you anyway, I really hope that you achieve your dreams :-)
Hey and if you are ever over my way you can practise on me anytime!

Take care,
- Enola

Apr 27 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Diane Estrella wrote:
Hi! I'm interested to be a makeup artist. I've been experimenting with makeup for the past 13 years and I think i'm ready to be a professional. What is the most prestigious cosmetology school in New York? I've heard that Aveda is the best one. Any suggestions?

Prestigious schools for things of the artistic nature rarely produces the best at the craft. Being in the field, staying hungry, and taking your own work seriously genrates the best results.

Apr 27 06 09:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia Rose

New York, New York, US

I went to MUD in Soho and I loved it. But I learned a lot of movie special effects type of makeup as well as gaining a better understanding certain things makeup artists need to know. It's kinda like paying someone who's been in the business, to devote themselves to you (and about 11 other girls/boys) completely.
If you want to do makeup for photography and want to skip the ton of money school takes...become an assistant to a kick-ass makeup artist, build a kit and test like crazy.
But...I believe this takes money too. Not just for the kit, but time is money and assisting and testing do not bring in money and they take up time.
Either way, it's a tough line of work. MUD does offer certain things like a job guidance person (who kicks ass).
In the end it really is all about how hungry and motivated you are and how much you're willing to sacrifice for doing your art, whether or not you choose to go to school for it.
Good luck!!
-Cyn

May 11 06 06:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cynthia Rose

New York, New York, US

Sorry I accidentally posted twice smile

May 11 06 06:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

If you are set on going to a school, I defiantely feel that MUD, and Tobi Brittons classes are the best www.themakeupshop.com. I personally went to MUD (la), and loved it in many ways but also in reflection feel it may have been better to have saved my money and assisted an established artist and taken a few workshops instead (Powder Group are defiantely good). I think weather or not you go to a school should solely depend on where you are as an artist and if realistically you can afford it. Because in truth the piece of paper you get for your certification really means absolutely nothing in the real world of makeup. I to date have still never had anyone ask to see it. What matters more is your portfolio, and your skill level. Check out these sites:

www.makeupmentors.com

www.makeupartistchat.com  (please read the FAQs on this site before posting)

www.themakeupartist.com  (read this artists information sections, very insightful for those determining weather or not to go to a school)

And read "The Makeup, Hair, and Styling Career Guide" by Crystal Wright
It pretty much should answer almost any question you have on how to start a career in makeup. www.makeuphairandstyling.com

Hope this helps,

~Andrea Duchesneau

May 11 06 10:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Just assist people.

If you can afford to go to school, it is a good time to practice in a classroom setting. but you will learn more on your from 3 jobs than you will in make-up school- at least for beauty. Mud was good for character and fx, but I was pretty proficient in beauty before I went.

I recommend assisting, you get to learn, get experience and build connections.

May 12 06 12:54 am Link

Photographer

chelphoto

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Your initial feelings on an Aveda College were very good  - stick with a good thing. Aveda is one of the leading International Makeup and Skin care manufacturers and have an astounding instructional team. There is an advanced acedemy right in New York, though you may have to check into the regular programs as they may have to be taken in Minneapolis (their home town).
I work with Aveda now and have for almost 10 years - the best education and systems developed in the industry.
It is also easy to check into, as they do have a website at www.aveda.com that will give you more insight.

May 12 06 01:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

I agree with the posts about MUD, Tobi Britton, and The Powder Group.

Whatever you do, do NOT.... I repeat... do NOT go to Dawn til Dusk.  Check out the feedback on that school at my forum at www.makeupartistchat.com.

Stay away from that school.

May 12 06 09:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Brooke

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm an Aveda girl, and have nothing but good things to say about Aveda.  They have taught me alot since I've been out of school.  I'm trying to take full advantage of their classes.  Their schooling is expensive, but it's the kind of training that pays off in the long run.  I've taken so many classes I think I owe my salon my first born(they collect their money over time) but it's all worth it.  Aveda has even taught me photography makeup, false eyelashes, and other key skills that are helping me now.  No matter what happens in my freelance career, I'm staying with an Aveda salon for access to the education.

May 15 06 08:07 am Link