Forums > General Industry > Getting Models to Respond?

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

Pismo Beach, California, US

I'm curious if i'm alone or if others experience the same thing.

I've recently joined 3 of the more well known online modeling sites and in all three i've contacted models in my local area who were requesting TFP work to see if they would be interested in shooting with me. I have never once received a repsonse back from a model saying thanks for your interest etc... nothing, nada.
I'll be the first to admit i'm not the greatest fashion photog in the world but I don't think my work is so bad not to even get a response back either positive or negative.

I don't mis represent myself in my profile, I state that i'm mainly a landscape and product shooter looking for some more time behind the lens shooting people and that at this point I'm only doing TFP or TFCD to gain some knowledge and get some practice.

So what is it? Are you models so inundated by photographers willing to work with you on a TFP basis that it is just overwhelming? Do my photo's really suck? I'm looking for some answers here ;-) And most importantly am I alone in this or are other photogs having a hard time getting models to respond back as well?

Ok enough of my pity party :0( If there are any models on the Central Coast of California that would like to give a poor guy a break let me know.

Thanks for listening.

Cris...

Apr 25 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Its not you.  Many of the models here are rude and won't respond no matter
what.  Try getting a pretty friend to get her make-up done and dressed
up in a nice dress, etc.  Post that as your lead shot.  Cool you know Marc Hauser
from Chicago.

Apr 25 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I think your work is just fine. The TFP/CD world sucks. That is the best way to explain it. It's not over once you start getting people to respond.......then you have to deal with the whole no show thing. My suggestion is to pay for your shoots until you build a portfolio that you are happy with. Most internet models charge a lot even if they have no experience so I suggest putting an ad up at the local college. you will be able to find people willing to work for $10-$20 an hour which is a fine price for a photographer just looking to experiment with a new style of photography.

Apr 25 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

Hey Tony, thanks for the reassurance ;-) I actually just took a week long workshop with Marc, he's great and is a wealth of information.

Thomas, yeh i'm quickly starting to think the same thing. I had thought about the idea of posting something down at the local college maybe i'll try that route as well.

thanks for responding guys.

Cris...

Apr 25 06 08:28 pm Link

Model

Ellie_K

Denver, Colorado, US

If I lived in California, I'd sure shoot with you!

Apr 25 06 08:29 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I took a peek at both your website and portfolio.
Your home page has great images but doesn't go anywhere?
did you take those photos? if you did I know mm is all about models but I'd show a few of those to prove what you CAN do with your camera.

and yes many models are flakey and never email back and then don't bother to show up.

Hireing a profesional is sometimes a good idea.

or just help out with travel expense I have done shoots for travel and they are fun and I get to see a new place.

Apr 25 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Its not you.  Many of the models here are rude and won't respond no matter
what.  Try getting a pretty friend to get her make-up done and dressed
up in a nice dress, etc.  Post that as your lead shot.  Cool you know Marc Hauser
from Chicago.

Ditto!

Be forwarned of the one's that do finaly contact you, only a small percentage will actualy not flake out or cancell on you last minute. These types of sites generaly have two extremes of models the savy professionals who will not give you the time of day or amateurs who are irresponsible and unprofessional. Ocassionaly you will find a gem in the rough, but it takes some digging. Try friends and networking.

Best of luck!

Apr 25 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I’m a brand new photographer and in the year and a half that I’ve been shooting, I’ve had the best luck shooting models under TFCD agreements.

I’ve shot some 75 models I’d guess and the offers just keep coming in. I don’t really seek a model to shoot with me, but rather they come to me.

What are you sending them in the way of an invitation or offer to shoot them?

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

I would just like to say that I am neither flakey nor rude and  I always respond when anyone sends me messages.  There are a lot of photographers on MM that I would love to work with, but time, distance, and travel expenses keeps me from being able to shoot with them.

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

Ellie, thanks that's sweet. If you ever make it out west feel free to contact me i'd be happy to shoot you.

Iona, Yeh the website is just a splash page right now i'm in the midst of a re-development of my website. That's actually what i do to make a living. Yes all those photos are mine, i'm all over the map when it comes to photography, i really do enjoy photographing anything and everything. Where in California are you? Message me privately, i might be interested in taking you up on the offer.

Thanks again.

Cris...

Apr 25 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Cris Mitchell wrote:
Hey Tony, thanks for the reassurance ;-) I actually just took a week long workshop with Marc, he's great and is a wealth of information.

Thomas, yeh i'm quickly starting to think the same thing. I had thought about the idea of posting something down at the local college maybe i'll try that route as well.

thanks for responding guys.

Cris...

If you are near the ocean hit the beach.  Carry a few images with you.  Its
funny I'd shoot a model and women would walk up and ask would I'd like to
shoot them too.  Maybe it was my good looks  MM is fun but
sooo many of the models flakes.  The school thing is cool.  Try taking a
few classes.  Trust me on this if your single its a great place to meet smart
and beautifull women and they would love to shoot you FOR free.

Apr 25 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

Dean, thanks i'm gonna keep looking for that diamond, i know their out there somewhere ;-)

Craig, Your work is solid, it's no wonder you are getting a steady stream of models.
as far as the message i send them it's very cordial I just say that i saw their post and that they were looking for some TFP or TFCD work and i'd be happy to work with them if they were interested after looking at my portfolio. Definitely nothing over the top.

Kizzy, I definitely don't want this thread to deteriorate into a model bashing session,definitely not what was intended.

Thanks again all the input and insight is valuable.

Cris...

Apr 25 06 08:43 pm Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Dean Solo wrote:
Ditto!

Be forwarned of the one's that do finaly contact you, only a small percentage will actualy not flake out or cancell on you last minute. These types of sites generaly have two extremes of models the savy professionals who will not give you the time of day or amateurs who are irresponsible and unprofessional. Ocassionaly you will find a gem in the rough, but it takes some digging. Try friends and networking.

Best of luck!

Ok, it's obvious I don't know how to work this quote thing (I'm a blonde though, so go figure!), but I just wondered if most of the models on here are really that bad?  I drive 4-5 hours each way for shoots which means sometimes I leave at 4 a.m. and don't get home until 2 a.m. the next morning, but I would never dream of just not showing up.  Am I weird or what?

Apr 25 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

Tony, that's funny... I do live across the street from the beach and never thought about carrying a small port of images with me, thanks for the idea.

Cris...

Apr 25 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Kizzy wrote:
I would just like to say that I am neither flakey nor rude and  I always respond when anyone sends me messages.  There are a lot of photographers on MM that I would love to work with, but time, distance, and travel expenses keeps me from being able to shoot with them.

Your such a doll Kizzy, it's no wonder your portfolio is bulging with great images.

I'll even vouch for you're character since we've talked a bit. You’re all that and a bag of chips!

CT

Apr 25 06 08:47 pm Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Crack me up!  Craig, please don't tell them we met at an AA meeting!  LOL

Apr 25 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
I took a peek at both your website and portfolio.
Your home page has great images but doesn't go anywhere?
did you take those photos? if you did I know mm is all about models but I'd show a few of those to prove what you CAN do with your camera.

and yes many models are flakey and never email back and then don't bother to show up.

Hireing a profesional is sometimes a good idea.

or just help out with travel expense I have done shoots for travel and they are fun and I get to see a new place.

Another solid model on this site. I hope to meet you in a few months...if things work out.

Apr 25 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

HerbP

Winter Springs, Florida, US

There is nothing wrong with your photography. Maybe all that banging on a trash can lid scares them off! You have only been in the game on MM for a little over a week. It all takes time and the willingness to withstand a lot of silence. Most models who say they will do TFP/TFCD are really fishing for a name photographer that has big reputation in the industry that they feel can quickly advance their careers by association, if nothing else. They immediately spot you as a neophyte in the field and not worthy of an answer. Your referral is quickly deleted. As far as Internet modeling sites are concerned, try starting by querying relatively new models who are more fashion oriented than glamour/nude oriented.

Actually, at this stage of the game, your best bet may be to go to the local modeling schools, show the owner your work, explain what you want to do as far as TFP/TFCD are concerned. You will probably be dealing mostly with the 16-17 year-old group but many of them are very pretty. Tell the owner that you insist that a parent be present for anyone under 18 (there is no alternative anyway, but it makes you sound more ligitimate to bring it up yourself) and that you will need the parent to sign a release.

Another alternative is to go to some of the dance schools in the area and inquire if one or more of the instructors could pose in their dance outfits. There are some good pictures in that realm to build a portfolio.

Apr 25 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Kizzy wrote:
Crack me up!  Craig, please don't tell them we met at an AA meeting!  LOL

hehehe, I'm not saying anything. We're old friends for all anyone needs to know. 
Oh, and your just so damn cute...

Apr 25 06 08:56 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I have gotten to the point where it is invaluable for me to try to arrange TFP/CD shoots. I need the money too bad, and can find the paying work, so unless the photographer has something exceptional to offer, I simply don't have the time to devote. If I did, I would be shooting a lot more for nothing.

I am not flakey, and will always write back to a photographer that expresses interest in me. Heck, I usually write back to someone when they leave me a complimentary tag or comment! I just think its polite and kind.

As for the central coast, where are you located? I have good friends in the SLO/Paso Robles area. If I could find enough paid shoots I'd be able to afford to travel to see them! LOL. I miss them dearly. I hope to move there someday, who knows...

Keep searching, don't get discouraged. There are good prospects out there!

Apr 25 06 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Kizzy wrote:

Ok, it's obvious I don't know how to work this quote thing (I'm a blonde though, so go figure!), but I just wondered if most of the models on here are really that bad?  I drive 4-5 hours each way for shoots which means sometimes I leave at 4 a.m. and don't get home until 2 a.m. the next morning, but I would never dream of just not showing up.  Am I weird or what?

Stunning......I just looked at your port. You seem down to earth and very level headed. I would say you are that gem in the rough (though a bit more polished).
God bless you and long may you run!

Apr 25 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Kizzy wrote:

Stunning......I just looked at your port. You seem down to earth and very level headed. I would say you are that gem in the rough (though a bit more polished).

Apr 25 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Kizzy wrote:

Apr 25 06 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

One more time Dean and I'd say thats called stalking...
Kidding....I wish you were bidding on one of my ebay auctions with that heavy finger!

Apr 25 06 09:04 pm Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Craig, awwww, thank you very much, you're so sweet! 

But back to the original question...I browse on MM a lot and if I see a photographer's work that I admire and feel it would add to my port, I contact him/her.  Even if they live in another state, I never know when they might travel to my area. If they want to work with me, great, we try to keep up with each other.  If not, oh well.  I feel I have been very fortunate to work with all of the photographers that I have and it has all been tfp/cd except for the stock photography work that I do. So, I say, just keep trying, there are some of us out here that are friendly, punctual, work hard, AND have a sense of humor also!  Of course, I am not saying I am professional model material, YET, but everyone has to start somewhere whether they are models or photographers.  I would be glad to help you out if I ever come to Cali again or you come to the Oklahoma/Texas area.

Apr 25 06 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

HerbP wrote:
There is nothing wrong with your photography. Maybe all that banging on a trash can lid scares them off! You have only been in the game on MM for a little over a week. It all takes time and the willingness to withstand a lot of silence. Most models who say they will do TFP/TFCD are really fishing for a name photographer that has big reputation in the industry that they feel can quickly advance their careers by association, if nothing else. They immediately spot you as a neophyte in the field and not worthy of an answer. Your referral is quickly deleted. As far as Internet modeling sites are concerned, try starting by querying relatively new models who are more fashion oriented than glamour/nude oriented.

Actually, at this stage of the game, your best bet may be to go to the local modeling schools, show the owner your work, explain what you want to do as far as TFP/TFCD are concerned. You will probably be dealing mostly with the 16-17 year-old group but many of them are very pretty. Tell the owner that you insist that a parent be present for anyone under 18 (there is no alternative anyway, but it makes you sound more ligitimate to bring it up yourself) and that you will need the parent to sign a release.

Another alternative is to go to some of the dance schools in the area and inquire if one or more of the instructors could pose in their dance outfits. There are some good pictures in that realm to build a portfolio.

Thanks Herb, yeh that garbage can shot is pretty intimidating don't ya think ;-)
Good idea about the modeling schools, i've also got a 16 year old daughter who has lots of girlfriends that would probably like to be shot as well. I thought about the dance school thing but at a recent workshop they brought some girls in from the local ballet school and i have to say it bored me to tears, but hey i'll try anything twice.

Thanks again for your time and comments

Apr 25 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

HerbP wrote:

Thanks Herb, yeh that garbage can shot is pretty intimidating don't ya think ;-)
Good idea about the modeling schools, i've also got a 16 year old daughter who has lots of girlfriends that would probably like to be shot as well. I thought about the dance school thing but at a recent workshop they brought some girls in from the local ballet school and i have to say it bored me to tears, but hey i'll try anything twice.

Thanks again for your time and comments

Apr 25 06 09:13 pm Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Dean, you are sweet too!  I've been trying to model for a little over a year, but let's face it, not much going on in Oklahoma!  I have had photographers on MM tell me I am too fat and ugly to model, but I just told them thank you for their input and keep on trying!  I will say in my defense that all of the photographers I have worked with are willing to work with me again.

But, Cris, there are models that will work with you, just keep on trying and be patient.  It could take months to get the kind of tfp shots you need.

Apr 25 06 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

Kizzy wrote:
Craig, awwww, thank you very much, you're so sweet! 

But back to the original question...I browse on MM a lot and if I see a photographer's work that I admire and feel it would add to my port, I contact him/her.  Even if they live in another state, I never know when they might travel to my area. If they want to work with me, great, we try to keep up with each other.  If not, oh well.  I feel I have been very fortunate to work with all of the photographers that I have and it has all been tfp/cd except for the stock photography work that I do. So, I say, just keep trying, there are some of us out here that are friendly, punctual, work hard, AND have a sense of humor also!  Of course, I am not saying I am professional model material, YET, but everyone has to start somewhere whether they are models or photographers.  I would be glad to help you out if I ever come to Cali again or you come to the Oklahoma/Texas area.

Kizzy, thanks, by the looks of your portfolio it seems like you are better off than you give yourself credit for, there are some beautiful pictures in there.
Absolutely keep me in mind if you ever come to California, i'd be honered to work with you. I was almost in El Paso this last week, don't know when i'll have the chance to get out there but will keep your profile bookmarked for sure.

Thanks agian.

Cris...

Apr 25 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Sorry guy's my connection is slow and sometimes I double and triple click not realizing each time it's re-sending the same message. Kizzy as far as you being too heavy or ugly, tell em they can kiss my grits. I think your perfectly proportioned. Rejection sucks, but to be a photographer (model) you have to learn to have tough skin. Wich brings us back to the original topic of this thread....perseverance as much as talent and luck is necessary to succeed.

Apr 25 06 09:29 pm Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Oh, I totally agree about perserverance (did I spell that right?) and tough skin.  I am not a skinny runway model and never will be, nor do I want to be, I am just normal, but what's wrong with that?  Cris, keep up the good work, keep in mind that rejection is common in this business, and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Your work is great and you will continue to improve if you keep after it.  I don't know if I would get your daughter's friends to model for you...that might lead to problems.

Apr 25 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

Kizzy wrote:
Dean, you are sweet too!  I've been trying to model for a little over a year, but let's face it, not much going on in Oklahoma!  I have had photographers tell me I am too fat and ugly to model, but I just told them thank you for their input and keep on trying!

But, Cris, there are models that will work with you, just keep on trying and be patient.  It could take months to get the kind of tfp shots you need.

First of all i can't believe any photographer would tell YOU that your fat and ugly
and secondly i can't believe that any photographer would say that to any one period.

Unreal...

Cris...

Apr 25 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

Kizzy wrote:
Oh, I totally agree about perserverance (did I spell that right?) and tough skin.  I am not a skinny runway model and never will be, nor do I want to be, I am just normal, but what's wrong with that?  Cris, keep up the good work, keep in mind that rejection is common in this business, and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Your work is great and you will continue to improve if you keep after it.  I don't know if I would get your daughter's friends to model for you...that might lead to problems.

Good point on my daughter's friends, I was actually thinking more along the lines of capitalizing on the whole senior portrait thing that is coming next year more than I was thinking doing fashion oriented stuff. But I see where your going with that comment. ;-)

Apr 25 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Cris Mitchell

NC17 wrote:
I have gotten to the point where it is invaluable for me to try to arrange TFP/CD shoots. I need the money too bad, and can find the paying work, so unless the photographer has something exceptional to offer, I simply don't have the time to devote. If I did, I would be shooting a lot more for nothing.

I am not flakey, and will always write back to a photographer that expresses interest in me. Heck, I usually write back to someone when they leave me a complimentary tag or comment! I just think its polite and kind.

As for the central coast, where are you located? I have good friends in the SLO/Paso Robles area. If I could find enough paid shoots I'd be able to afford to travel to see them! LOL. I miss them dearly. I hope to move there someday, who knows...

Keep searching, don't get discouraged. There are good prospects out there!

I live 10 minutes south of San Luis Obispo, if you ever come to visit drop me a note.

Thanks for the kind words.

Cris...

Apr 25 06 09:45 pm Link

Model

Jacinta Cobb

Columbia, South Carolina, US

Kizzy wrote:

Same here Kizzy! I was thinkin "damn I wish I even got APPROACHED with messages to work with photogs" I mean I get one maybe once every green moon--yes, green--but I usually can't even afford to make it to wherever it is, and I don't have a car so that sucks too! But hey I've been making some phone calls and have some true friends that are trying to help me get started with this!

Apr 25 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

James B

Waynesboro, Georgia, US

No your not alone, I  had the same problem at first. but as I finally got responses things went good. But  I still sometimes get no responce from models. Give it time you will get a reply from someone.

Apr 25 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kizzy wrote:
Dean, you are sweet too!  I've been trying to model for a little over a year, but let's face it, not much going on in Oklahoma!  I have had photographers on MM tell me I am too fat and ugly to model, but I just told them thank you for their input and keep on trying!  I will say in my defense that all of the photographers I have worked with are willing to work with me again.

Hmmm if you are going to add to a thread, please be honest.  I don't believe
ANY photographer here called you fat or ugly.  There are some clowns here but
that I don't think they said that.  You are a rare model.  I get the impression you
actually show up for shoots and are dependable.  In addition to being pretty.
The OP has brought out a real problem.  How do you improve if you can't shoot
models or at least attractive people willing to pose.  Sadly places like MM have lots of people but very few serious models.

Apr 25 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

give it time...but one key is ask models that you see have the same style that you shoot in, I get asked eveyday for a shoot, but only a few have the look I would work with...so I don't answer..

Apr 25 06 10:06 pm Link

Model

_Kimberly

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Well, I sometimes don't reply to messages if they don't have any details and I have no idea what the person is looking for. Whenever I ask, I usually get back "whatever you want" as a reply, so I just give up...

Apr 25 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

natasha cuevas

Fort Myers, Florida, US

cris your pics are great - don't let it dissappoint you!

Apr 25 06 10:20 pm Link