Forums > General Industry > Can tear sheets come from a web page?

Model

Liz River

Dayton, Ohio, US

I'm still very green around the edges, I haven't been in any catalogs or magazines (yet...?) but I've been featured on a couple sites. Do those count as tear sheets?

Apr 25 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Formally, no.  But if the sites are from major fashion design houses or Fortune 500 companies, you can stretch it a bit.  If they are from the usual cheapie website, no.

Apr 25 06 07:16 pm Link

Model

Liz River

Dayton, Ohio, US

LOL, yep, regular run of the mill cheapie site.
Does that apply to cheapie catalogs and magazines, too?
Is a tear sheet really just an ad from a company we've all heard of?

Apr 25 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lizriver wrote:

There is a difference.  Let me explain.

The reason a tear sheet is so valuable is because it means an art director or editor chose you from a competitive field to put into a publication that has limited space (due to cost).  Printing paper catalogs and magazines is expensive - you can't just keep adding pages (and models); you have to be very selective.  Consequently the prestige of the tear.  Higher prestige company, and/or higher quality pictures bring with them greater prestige in the tear sheet (not all tear sheets are created equal).  But they are all real "tear sheets".

Major corporations and designers are also selective, and pay a good deal of money to be on the sites.  Getting a large spread on the GM site, or McDonalds, or DKNY, is an accomplishment in a competitive environment, and it has at least some of the flavor of a "tear sheet" even though it isn't one.  But being featured as some "hottest hunny" on a cheapie website carries with it none of that prestige, and any claim to "tear sheet" gets so thin you can see right through it.

Apr 25 06 07:25 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Lizriver wrote:
LOL, yep, regular run of the mill cheapie site.

Yup that is about all it is.
Before the internet tearsheets were from printed publications only.
so if you worked for a crappy pulp rag it didn't say much about you.
Tear sheets are just another part of your resume,
they say
"I was good enough to be hired by these people"

Now with the internet comes internet models and yes You can get exposure and say "I was good enough to be on this website"

Some old school people will tellyou that tears do not count unless they are printed.
But what is more exposure and a credit to your resume.
a paper tear from LAXXPress mag
or a web page feature on playboy.com

A paper tear in an ad for a local clothing line in a local ocweakly
or a web advertizment on gap.com

Apr 25 06 07:28 pm Link