Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > If a model does not show for TFCD.....

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

As an MUA and or stylist, what do you do when thw model does not show.....
Many people are telling me if they don't show then I have the right to send them a bill for my kit fee because I was promised pictures for my work.....I mean the last time I tarveled to queens and I lost  a lo of money in transportation because this chick did not show.....i mena Gas is not cheap anymore.....I was wondering what does everybody thinka bout this?

Apr 25 06 02:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

I guess you could charge for the gas you spent...But only if you agree before about if someone doesn't show this will be charged etc.etc.

Apr 25 06 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Do you have a signed contract saying what you get if a no-show takes place? If not....move on.....even if you have a contract.......move on. That is why it pays to pay.

Apr 25 06 02:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

I did not know you can contract a TFCD.....thank you

Apr 25 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Kit fee?  On TFCD?   Guess I'll have to start charging a "studio fee" and a "camera fee".  smile When a model is a no show it's best to just move on.  I feel it's their loss.

Apr 25 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Cool Artist2005 wrote:
I did not know you can contract a TFCD.....thank you

You should have a cotract for all professional work including tfcd.

Apr 25 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Terrence Blount

Chicago, Illinois, US

Cool Artist2005 wrote:
As an MUA and or stylist, what do you do when thw model does not show.....
Many people are telling me if they don't show then I have the right to send them a bill for my kit fee because I was promised pictures for my work.....I mean the last time I tarveled to queens and I lost  a lo of money in transportation because this chick did not show.....i mena Gas is not cheap anymore.....I was wondering what does everybody thinka bout this?

Was Gas ever cheap?

Apr 25 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Terrence Blount wrote:

Was Gas ever cheap?

Yes, but I made the choice to quite the 40 mile commute when it looked like it was going to hit $1/gallon.
I can't imagine that commute at $3/gallon.

Apr 25 06 03:37 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

well I dont know MUA wise on what you should do but, There is a photographer that charges his models $50 dollars before the shoot...and unless they call and cancel, they get the money back...if they dont show up at all not even a call, thats fifty in his pocket

Apr 25 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Here is what I do. Read what the eople have to say - pretty good responses.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=31613

Apr 25 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Mark Anderson wrote:
Kit fee?  On TFCD?   Guess I'll have to start charging a "studio fee" and a "camera fee".  smile When a model is a no show it's best to just move on.  I feel it's their loss.

Couldn't have said it better myself...=*^)

Apr 25 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Kandi Carol

San Francisco, California, US

ChristerArt wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself...=*^)

I am going to have to second that, or was it thirds?

Apr 25 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

I, as a photographer, make the model sign a release stating that if he/she is a no show to the TFCD shoot than her money down ($100) goes to both the MUA and I. And yes.... it is TFCD...until they stand me up, once they do that their security deposit is evenly distributed between us. I have found this to work EXTREMELY well despite what others on here might think. I havent had a no call/ no show in quiet sometime, and when they dont show I still get some expenses covered.

Apr 25 06 04:48 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

DigitalSwede wrote:
I, as a photographer, make the model sign a release stating that if he/she is a no show to the TFCD shoot than her money down ($100) goes to both the MUA and I. And yes.... it is TFCD...until they stand me up, once they do that their security deposit is evenly distributed between us. I have found this to work EXTREMELY well despite what others on here might think. I havent had a no call/ no show in quiet sometime, and when they dont show I still get some expenses covered.

smart guy and this is what I would ask the photographer to do....Hold the money and give it back if you like when she shows.  NEVER NEVER NEVER trust a model to show up on a free shoot....NEVER NEVER NEVER.   She will no-show if shes having a bad hair day, if she feels bloated, if she stayed out late etc....the excuses go on and on and you really shouldnt be doing TFCD without some sort of deposit.

When I was doing model testing I would charge $250.00 to $300.00 for 5 hours work, the model paid and in fact I have agreed to do one of these in a few weeks because the photographer is a friend and he asked me to do it.  I will not show up unless all the money is in my paypal account 2 weeks prior the shoot.  I did let the model know that if the money wasnt there on this date (2 weeks prior) she would be off my calander and I would take the next job that comes by that day.

I even told her the reason and she laughed, she said she understood the bad hair feeling fat days and she could totally understand how that could happen.    I like to be real, be honest...people do understand when you give it to them straight.  The bottom line is, I am going to turn down a real job for this partial paying job and I will not lose out on a full day job that may have presented itself because some model doesnt feel like shooting.

If it were a TFCD situation I would be even more stingy with my time.  I would sure get some insurance that this model was going to show up.  If she doesnt have the money for a deposit then I don't want to work with her, shes probably a real flake

Apr 25 06 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Pete Flanagan

Chicago, Illinois, US

Deposits are the cure for no shows.  If a model refuses to pay a deposit, then it means they were not serious about the shoot in the first place.  A responsible model will understand that photogs and MUAs incur expenses prior to the shoot.  A resonable model will be willing to post a deposit as a sign of good faith.

Apr 25 06 07:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

This is why I test with agency models.  They tend not to be as flakey.

Apr 25 06 07:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
This is why I test with agency models.  They tend not to be as flakey.

'

exactly.   I wouldnt test with a non-agency model anyway, if the agency doesnt want them, they probably wont do my book much good.

Apr 25 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Christine Hill

West Bloomfield Township, Michigan, US

I have also in the past charged a deposit of $50 for TFCD shoot, it works quite well. smile

Apr 25 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Arobeck

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Yes, just move on, It is their loss and unprofessionality.
However, I have a black book and do speak with other people in the industry, if the model cannot have the common (not so common these days!) courtesey to cancel etc I spread  the word of warning- no tfp for that model in my city, only fee charged shoots by photographers.
It is a shame, because I have learnt that so many people really do not appriciate the exchange you are giving them, verses $400 plus for a paid portfolio.
Some learn hard, some learn and some dont. This is the learning curve to success.

Apr 25 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

I have a photographer friend that actually requires a model sign a pre-commitment agreement before shooting because of this very issue; the model agrees to bear all unrecoverable costs attributable to the model's no-show.  Personally, I view it as unavoidable and a cost of doing business, but then again I have been blessed (or lucky), that I have had this issue crop up only once, and that was when a model demanded additional compensation hours before the scheduled start of a shoot that took a month to set up and involved two other models, two MUAs, and a location that cost money...  (btw, I passed on her and was, thankfully, able to get a fill in model that was just outstanding, this on virtually no notice...  Lesson learned, keep the number of potential models on your cell phone...  LOL).

Apr 25 06 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Josh Separzadeh

Venice, California, US

Yeah, i had a model come in after we affirmed everything... i had bought all supplies, props and make-up and lighting girls were there. Once she came in, she decided the shoot wasn't for her and left. I thought at that moment... who's responsible for all this money being lost?

Apr 25 06 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

well there are several things you could do

only shoot with photographers who you know who have tfp models who always show up

make an arrangement with the photog that he/she will cover any expenses in the case of a no show

or be a prick, spend $5 and file a small claims against the model (provided you know her name/address) and go to night court and try to collect $50-$75 from her

Apr 25 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Pete Flanagan

Chicago, Illinois, US

Chili wrote:
well there are several things you could do

only shoot with photographers who you know who have tfp models who always show up

make an arrangement with the photog that he/she will cover any expenses in the case of a no show

or be a prick, spend $5 and file a small claims against the model (provided you know her name/address) and go to night court and try to collect $50-$75 from her

It's still easier to get the $50 or $75 deposit up front.

Apr 25 06 09:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I have had models flake and not care about $50.00 so I honestly would make it $100.00 at least....I know I don't want to drive out to a non-shoot for $50.00, make it $100.00, that will make it worth loading, unloading my car and spending a small fortune on gas to get there and back.

Apr 25 06 10:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

Thank you so much for all ur help......I will take this into consideration

Apr 26 06 02:16 am Link

Photographer

1972 Productions

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

I did a TFCD yesterday - booked 4 models from MM that had expressed an interest in working with me and a MUA that I liked the look of.

The MUA was there 15 mins prior to kick off to make sure she was all set up (and she did a superb job)

And yep you guessed it only 2 of the 4 actually showed.  One cancelled 11pm the night before the other at 10am when we're getting started at 2pm.

Diddn't worry me at all I only needed two!! That's why I booked 4!! The two that did show were fantastic.

As for what to do with the two that didn't show?  Simple move on I won't be taking their calls again - they obviously can't do me the courtsey of a decent ammount of notice - they've proved unreliable once and once is enough - Theres plenty more models looking for a shoot out there -

Apr 26 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

WZ Photography

Squamish, British Columbia, Canada

If they don't show (and I don't care who it is), call in the hit man/woman.

They'll take care of the rest.

Apr 26 06 08:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Mark Anderson wrote:

actually if you have an artist waiting, its the artists loss because a lot of work goes into packing your stuff, driving to the studio, unpacking, waiting, pack up again and drive home.  Some artists have kids, they call in babysitters, some give up other paid jobs because they committed to a test.   

I can not imagine any professional photographer or artist working without a deposit in these testing situations.  You dont put much value on yourself or your skills if you don't take a deposit on your time, and I wouldnt want to work with anyone that values themselves so little..... I would think a little self examination would be in order.

Apr 26 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Pete Flanagan wrote:
Deposits are the cure for no shows.

When I see a model profile that requests a deposit I'm like, whatever, and click to go to the next one. I think most good, experienced models would do the same to a photographer requesting a deposit. For me it's a case-by-case thing. Asking for a deposit from an agency model is an insult to her.

Apr 26 06 10:28 am Link

Model

Miss Aimee

Sacramento, California, US

Mary wrote:
If it were a TFCD situation I would be even more stingy with my time.  I would sure get some insurance that this model was going to show up.  If she doesnt have the money for a deposit then I don't want to work with her, shes probably a real flake

That is a little unfair dont  you think.... I'm sorry but I am a 21 year old college student.... I don't ever have 200$ just sitting around with nothing better to do than to put down on a TFCD shoot............. I have never shot anything but TFP\TFCD and I have only cxld 1 shoot due to the death of my father.... Are you telling me that if I would have put 200$ down on that shoot and would have heard that my father passed away that the photographer would get to keep that 200$. I think not. That's insensitive and cruel. I've been flaked on by photographers AND makeup artists soo please don't make the models out to be the only can-be-fishy ones.

Apr 26 06 10:38 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Gregory Garecki wrote:

When I see a model profile that requests a deposit I'm like, whatever, and click to go to the next one. I think most good, experienced models would do the same to a photographer requesting a deposit. For me it's a case-by-case thing. Asking for a deposit from an agency model is an insult to her.

The distinction has already been made in this thread....we are talking about webmodels, not agency models.   Most of us know better then to charge a Ford or Elite model a deposit, unfortunately most testing type photographers (99% of the MM photographers) cant get a Ford or Elite model, thats why we're having this conversation.

Apr 26 06 10:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Miss Aimee wrote:

That is a little unfair dont  you think.... I'm sorry but I am a 21 year old college student.... I don't ever have 200$ just sitting around with nothing better to do than to put down on a TFCD shoot............. I have never shot anything but TFP\TFCD and I have only cxld 1 shoot due to the death of my father.... Are you telling me that if I would have put 200$ down on that shoot and would have heard that my father passed away that the photographer would get to keep that 200$. I think not. That's insensitive and cruel. I've been flaked on by photographers AND makeup artists soo please don't make the models out to be the only can-be-fishy ones.

I dont test and wouldnt test with a non agency model so its a moot point smile

Apr 26 06 10:49 am Link

Model

Miss Aimee

Mary wrote:
I dont test and wouldnt test with a non agency model so its a moot point smile

But don't you see the opportunity you leave yourself closed off too?
Agency models are obviously well trained and taught, etc. but what about us little amateurs? People didn't pay you the first time you picked up a bruch and said let me do your makeup. It is the same with models. No one is going to pay us. The only way for us to get anywhere, (us being: models, photographers and makeup artist) when we are just starting off is TFP. Saying you don't do TFP is like saying you are too good for the beginners..... and trust me someone had to have taken a chance on you when you were a beginner.....

Apr 26 06 10:55 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Miss Aimee wrote:

But don't you see the opportunity you leave yourself closed off too?
Agency models are obviously well trained and taught, etc. but what about us little amateurs? People didn't pay you the first time you picked up a bruch and said let me do your makeup. It is the same with models. No one is going to pay us. The only way for us to get anywhere, (us being: models, photographers and makeup artist) when we are just starting off is TFP. Saying you don't do TFP is like saying you are too good for the beginners..... and trust me someone had to have taken a chance on you when you were a beginner.....

I dont believe any artist should be working with non-agency models free, if the agency doesnt see potential in a model, the model probably doesnt belong in an artists book.  I do understand that a brand new artist may have to start with a non-agency model....those are the models they need to get a deposit from.  If a model can't come up with $100.00 for a deposit move on to one who can...non-agency models are a dime a dozen

Apr 26 06 11:07 am Link

Model

Miss Aimee

Mary wrote:
I dont believe any artist should be working with non-agency models free, if the agency doesnt see potential in a model, the model probably doesnt belong in an artists book.  I do understand that a brand new artist may have to start with a non-agency model....those are the models they need to get a deposit from.  If a model can't come up with $100.00 for a deposit move on to one who can...non-agency models are a dime a dozen

hmm. Yo intiendo.
Thank You smile

Apr 26 06 11:10 am Link

Model

sylvia

Tucson, Arizona, US

I think something else to remember about a deposit, is that I think in the sense its being talked about here anyway, is that its refundable. I wouldn't have any problem at all paying a $100 to a photographer (or MUA, stylist, or anyone else involved in a shoot) for a TFP shoot if it gave them more security in knowing I'd be there. I'd only be out the money for a short amount of time anyway.

Apr 26 06 12:21 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

T.Alexander

Norcross, Georgia, US

Bottom line... any and all "Professionals" should have a contract. This simple piece of paper will protect you from the uncaring individuals within the industry. Along with this contract should be a deposit for atleast 30-50% of the total amount quoted. All deposits for me are non-refundable. Time is money, and if you want to spend your time waiting on a model not to show up, do as you please. But why wait for that time to happen when you can simply protect youself now?

The Creative Artist have a lot of expenses to cover so if a kit fee is to be charged on a tfp/cd so be it. There is a difference between testing and tfp/cd. Just because a kit fee is charged for a trade for services shoot, doesn't turn it into a test. You test with agency models and you tfp/cd with lesser experienced ones. After a certain point in an artists career we have no use for lesser experienced models, and believe me I'm not trying to sound like an ass here. Its very important to have high quality book worthy models. Personally all of the tfp/cd work I did a year ago was "practice" for me, and none of it is in my book. Now I can only move forward and the lesser experienced models cannot provide what I need.

Apr 26 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Pete Flanagan

Chicago, Illinois, US

Gregory Garecki wrote:

Good, experienced models understand the business and they know that deposits are standard business practice.  Are you suggesting that, if an "agency" model calls wanting work done, she shouldn't be asked to put up a deposit because she is and "agency model?"  Frankly, I don't give a hoot if a model is insulted because she is asked to put up earnest money.

Apr 26 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Pete Flanagan

Chicago, Illinois, US

Miss Aimee wrote:

Hey, sorry to hear about your dad.  If I was holding your deposit, and you sent me a copy of the obituary, you'd get your deposit back.  I don't want to sound insensitive but, when discussing a particular Chicago area model with several other photogs, I learned that her "favorite granny" died at least 7 times in a 6 month period.

As far as not having the money for a deposit, I find it interesting that so many "models" have money to go clubbing, buying CDs, adorning themselves with plenty of bling bling, money for tattoos, money for lotsa anytime minutes and textmessages - but they cry broke when photogs give them a quote.

There are plenty of places where aspiring models can get money for photoshoots.  They can save it up.  They can borrow it from friends or relatives.  They can have mom and dad spring for a photoshoot as an "early" birthday or Christmas gift.  Some salons will even sponsor models.  One model I shot years ago scraped up her sitting fee by baking cookies and going to the fire stations to put the beg on the firemen.  She managed to scrape up the money...and she showed.

Apr 26 06 08:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Miss Aimee wrote:
I've been flaked on by photographers AND makeup artists soo please don't make the models out to be the only can-be-fishy ones.

I'm definitely sorry to hear about your father.  It's not that models are the only flaky ones, they're just the flakiest when it comes to unpaid shoots.

Apr 26 06 08:36 pm Link