Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Looks...does it matter?

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Ok so when I go to photoshoots, lately a lot of people (photographers, hairstylist etc.) always tell me or are talking about how looks affect makeup.  Meaning, you can do amazing makeup, but if the subject is not a good canvas (if the model is not pretty), then it makes a negative impact on the photo.

Is it true?  What is your opinion towards this.  Be honest (not mean).

Apr 25 06 08:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

Here is my opinion:
Basically, if you have a model who is "so,so" and you do this amazing makeup job on her..she can look incredible.
If you have a model who is already incredible and you do this amazing makeup job on her..she can look phenominal.
If you have a model who is already incredible and you do a not so great makeup job on her...she still looks incredible.

This is why some make-up artists I think get wayyyy too much credit- for the simple fact that they did very little to produce this image..when the model is already top notch.

I guess it varies though and thats not always true, because looking at a photo as a mua I can tell if the mua is good ..or not.

Apr 25 06 09:57 am Link

Model

Eunice Pierre-Louis

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am not a stylist but I think it does matter. Because I have seen some AMAZING after shots of models who were barely plain to begin with. I think that that is a testament to the stylist/mua skill and ability. Not to mention the more you have to work with the more you can do!

Apr 25 06 10:02 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

your shot will only be as good as the weakest link on the team.   If everything is great and the model sucks, your photo will suck.  We arent magicians were artists.  We can't change bone structure, we can't take weight off someone, we can't make bumpy skin smooth, there are a lot of things we can't do.

I think the Model is certainly as important if not more so then the rest of the team.  You cant make a pit bull a poodle with a new hair-do, it is what it is.

Apr 25 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Mary wrote:
your shot will only be as good as the weakest link on the team.

agreed... the photographer could also help/hinder in this case by choosing flattering or unflattering poses.

Apr 25 06 10:32 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

the problem is that most clients dont want to see so so people in your book, they want to see models... be it commercial or fashion. And most agency girls wont be sent on jobs if they are overweight, have bad skin... etc... because it makes a bad impression on the agency.

i have wasted a lot of time early in my career testing with non models, was the makeup in the pictures good... yes... can i use them in my book... no.

even when you get hired by normal people, they want to see models or celebrity make-ups, not normal people. for the simple fact that most normal people, hire a make-up artist, so that they dont have to be normal.

Apr 25 06 12:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Liz Dungate

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I agree, I have done some very fun make-up in the past on non-models that I simply can't put in my portfolio. Although they were all pretty girls in "real life", in the magnifying glass of a portfolio, they just don't "sell" the styling. For portfolio it's so important to work with a model with decent skin for close-ups, a model with good facial features, and if we're lucky, a model who can convey some intensity in her expression.

You use the best make-up you can afford, the best photographer you can work with, why not the best palette?

Apr 27 06 12:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

AE ARTIST

Los Angeles, California, US

Synthetic Shadows wrote:

agreed... the photographer could also help/hinder in this case by choosing flattering or unflattering poses.

I agree with all the above....the only times I have had good luck with an ok model is when the photographer captured an angle of her face that makes me say "wow"....but it doesnt look anything like the face I had seen in front of me!

Just as Mary mentioned, there is only so much we can do...it is what it is.

Apr 27 06 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

I have this to say...

You can't polish a turd... that's just it.  That's what it comes down to. I know it sounds just terrible but it's true.

Apr 27 06 01:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

Thuy Anh wrote:
I have this to say...

You can't polish a turd... that's just it.  That's what it comes down to. I know it sounds just terrible but it's true.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Valley_pictures/995636.gif

Apr 27 06 03:13 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

AnnieStyle

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Pazza_x_Trucco wrote:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Valley_pictures/995636.gif

I was more amused when it said crap.

Apr 27 06 09:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Thuy Anh wrote:
I have this to say...

OMG LOL.

Apr 28 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

AnnieStyle wrote:

I was more amused when it said crap.

lol yeah i read it over and was like well that doesn't sound right... lol so i fixed it and added a little more. lol

Apr 28 06 12:34 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

We have five senses.

Make them feel good then you are winning,

Make them feel bad then you are losing,

Apr 28 06 12:36 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Katalina Daer

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Yisell  wrote:
Ok so when I go to photoshoots, lately a lot of people (photographers, hairstylist etc.) always tell me or are talking about how looks affect makeup.  Meaning, you can do amazing makeup, but if the subject is not a good canvas (if the model is not pretty), then it makes a negative impact on the photo.

Is it true?  What is your opinion towards this.  Be honest (not mean).

to tell the truth im not into heaps of colour, lately with my models ive been requesting that models have a very androgynous look, pulled back hair, thicker eyebrows and flawless complections, really, great artists do me the perfect skin.

Apr 28 06 11:28 pm Link

Model

Christina Ilise

Saint Albans, New York, US

Of course looks matter. But there are also plenty of major models who aren't really pretty in real life but then look amazing in ads. On the other hand I've also seen situations where an unskilled makeup artists actually makes a model look worse.

Apr 29 06 08:39 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

GregBrownDesigns

Atlanta, Georgia, US

But it's ALL subjective.  There are SO MANY models (especially in the European market, which is SO MUCH more open to diversity than America) that I don't find attractive at ALL....but they are making dollars (or Euros, or ice cream cones)....I remember one girl with a HORSE face, and it looked like her legs were covered in mosquito bites!!  But there she was...in these really expensive dresses...(and nude, too....UGH!)  I never saw the attraction to Esther Canada (or however you spell her name....in DKNY with Mark Vanderloo for years...) I thought she looked like she had been crying for HOURS...

Apr 29 06 08:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Candace Corey

Chicago, Illinois, US

It sounds like you were getting advice about your caliber of model for your portfolio....am I right?

When you are building your book, people in the industry can tell if you have a good model, just like they can tell if you have a good photographer.

They base your work off of all the elements.....photography, model, styling, makeup.

They don't look at a bad shot, or bad model and say....all of this sucks but your makeup looks good. They actually think....."this is not good work". So as you grow in your skill, try to keep increasing in quality....including in models.

Picking a good model is very essential. You can get a very pretty person, but if you put makeup on her and she can't "model" in front of the camera it will still turn out bad. That is why some pretty girls can never model because they don't know how to project correctly into the camera....or they just don't look very good in pictures.

So it is a combination of looks AND projection when choosing a model for your shoots.

Apr 30 06 01:50 am Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

i don't think it's about what the model 'has'.. to me.. it's about if the model is able to 'work it' or not.. many beautiful people will not be able to give many good photos since they just don't know how to act infront of the camera..and some 'not so gracious poeople'.. practice int he mirrorand obviously give more better shots..

Apr 30 06 01:53 am Link