Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Anyone ever used Tempera paint as body paint? I know the good stuff is the liquid makeup but I don’t have time to purchase that online. Will be going for just one solid look and no mixtures on the entire body. Is it washable and tub safe?

Apr 24 06 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

imagine studios

Chicago, Illinois, US

I wouldn't do it ! A friend used it to color his face like a clown for a halloween party. It looked good -but when it came time to remove it the white(cheeks) and red(ears) stained his skin. He tried every type of remover known to man. He then took to severe scrubbing with abrasive hand cleaner only to find that it soaked into his skin very deep. Needless to say that he got plenty of laughs where ever he was. It took 4 days to even fade,but his ears were red for a long time. I still laugh just remembering it!

Apr 24 06 11:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

JM Dean wrote:
Anyone ever used Tempera paint as body paint? I know the good stuff is the liquid makeup but I don’t have time to purchase that online. Will be going for just one solid look and no mixtures on the entire body. Is it washable and tub safe?

Tempra is usually non toxic as little ones often paint on paer with it, PAPER being my key word here, the pigments in these paints are more like a stain than a pait, becasue skin obsorbs the stain, often it will stay on the skin for more than the length inteded as its made to go on paper.
Its probably better to purchase the correct paints, if you dont have time , then rebook the shoot.
or if your stuck check out sex shops they often have an array of body paints, i has to pop into one of these stores when an extra model showed up to a shoot and we were shooting at 10 pm, so i poped down to the 24 hr shop and found something that worked, just test it out on the models skin first, as my model has a reaction to the yellow body paint, it wasnt horrible but she did get a little rash, I think it has something to do with the "edible" and "sent" of these kinds of paints. smile

Apr 25 06 12:04 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Thanks for the replies. I’ll stay away from the tempera smile Sex shop, hummm, never thought of that. May have to visit one tomorrow. Need some new supplies anyway wink

Thanks again,

Mark

Apr 25 06 12:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

JM Dean wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I’ll stay away from the tempera smile Sex shop, hummm, never thought of that. May have to visit one tomorrow. Need some new supplies anyway wink

Thanks again,

Mark

it might be tricky but if you do go the the sex shop see if you can get ones that are either unsented or no flavor smile these can irritate the skin if left on for a length of time.

Apr 25 06 12:12 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:

it might be tricky but if you do go the the sex shop see if you can get ones that are either unsented or no flavor smile these can irritate the skin if left on for a length of time.

Thanks for the tip. Not sure if any shops around here will even have stuff like that. They mainly deal in mags I believe. But I’ll give it a shot. Funny, I would have never thought of a place like that but it makes sense.

Apr 25 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Jason Fassnacht

Sacramento, California, US

Hello smile.....

Tempra Paint for the body ???.....WAY NOT COOL !!!.....The colours ???....COBALT blue, TITANIUM white, ALIZERINE crimmson, etc are all heavy metals & are WAY toxic......the binding medium may be non-toxic but the minerals & chemicals used for the colours themselves are most definitely not designed for the use of human skin.......

Plus Tempra is very akin to watercolour paints so you'll be using water to mix & paint on your Muse - (the bodies on average 70% water) - which only increases the toxicity levels that the bodies gonna be able to absorb.....

Cultivate a little patience & order some body paint for your Muse.

J.   

p.s. Good luck to your vision though - I do alot of body painting myself & it's always one of my absolute favorite Art sessions !!!

peace ~

Apr 25 06 12:36 am Link