Forums > General Industry > AgEncY---PhOtOs!

Model

Kathryn T

Miami, Florida, US

heey guys! well i had a meeting with an agency and he told me first off that i needed to get a test shoot done to make a comp card, which would cost me about $300 from their photographer. He also said i was free to find any other photographer to get shots done but after that, they can represent me. he sounds like a good agency to start off with. what do you guys think? and any ideas where else i could look for photos. i live in central orlando. and if any photographers on the site would even be a good idea????? thanks for the help! smile

-kiki-

Apr 24 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kathryn T wrote:
he told me first off that i needed to get a test shoot done to make a comp card, which would cost me about $300 from their photographer...

.. i live in central orlando.

The best idea is to check with the state of Florida to see if it's a licensed agency or of if they're committing a FELONY, and what they mean by "their photographer".

Licensed agencies in Florida are not allowed to be owned or affiliated with other companies such as photo studios, printing companies, or schools.  This is to assure that the agencies get paid for the job which they are supposed to do (obtain employment for the people they represent) and not make an income off of those people by selling un-needed services and products.

By law, Talent agencies are NOT allowed to charge a registration fee! No talent agency shall, as a condition to obtaining employment for any artist, require the artist to subscribe to, purchase, or attend any publication, postcard service, advertisement, resume service, photography service, school, acting school, workshop, acting workshop, or video or audiotapes!

By law, all advertisements, letterheads, receipts and other publications should list the talent agency name and address, license number and the words "talent agency".

For more information, please check out the following websites:
http://www.filminflorida.com/ela/tma.asp
https://www.myfloridalicense.com/licens … 1.jsp?SID=

Apr 24 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Second thing to do is never type on here the way you typed your subject header if you want to be taken seriously and do not want people to completely skip over your post because YOu TYpEd LIkE ThIS...

Apr 24 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
YOu TYpEd LIkE ThIS...

I only looked in here to see if I needed to lock or move the thread. (Moderator)

Apr 24 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Ched wrote:

I only looked in here to see if I needed to lock or move the thread. (Moderator)

Thus sorta proving my point,lol.

Apr 25 06 08:58 am Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

I have been asked that too but they said I could also choose from a list of photographers.

Apr 25 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Yeah, the test shoot by the photographer is a sign of a POSSIBLE scam. Maybe, maybe not.

If an agency is going to represent you, they will obviously need good photos of you. And it is their job to know what kind of photos are most likely to get you work.

So the question becomes how to get those photos. The worst thing you can do is go find a photographer on your own and pay a lot of money for photos the agency won't use. It is also a waste of time for you to TFP with a bunch of amateur photographers for the next year, and still end up with a bunch of photos the agency can't use. It makes sense for the agency to suggest photographers they know who will get you the type of photos you need.

That is where the conflict can arise. If they truly have your best interest at heart, they will send you to a legit photographer who will get you good photos at a reasonable price. Or give you a list of such photographers. Scams arise when the agency is basically working hand in hand with the photographer, the photographer is charging way too much money, and kicking some of it back to the agency. Or worse, if the agency is basically a front for the photographer.

SayCheeZ had some very good suggestions.

From the information you provided, there are some clues. $300 does not sound unreasonable for a photo shoot that will get you enough good photos to make a comp card. So that sounds okay to me. Their statement that you can go to ANY other photographer can be a good or bad sign. It is good that they are not forcing you to use one particular photographer. However, it would bother me if they just sent you off at random, with no direction at all. That could result in you spending lots of time and/or money on photos that they can't use. They should at least give you a list of recommended photographers, or specific instructions on the type of photos they need.

You should have a very clear idea of exactly what type of photography the agency wants, and you should have a high degree of certainty that the photographer can provide those kind of photos before agreeing to pay them any money.

Apr 25 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Apr 25 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Rich Meade

Atlanta, Georgia, US

A couple of agencies I shoot for (i'm on their photographers list), send new models to me for testing...

Its not unusal, a typical shoot for 1 look from me will run $300   

but take everyones advice to research it just in case...

you never know with some people!

Apr 25 06 11:38 am Link

Model

Shauna Carlo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Kathryn T wrote:
heey guys! well i had a meeting with an agency and he told me first off that i needed to get a test shoot done to make a comp card, which would cost me about $300 from their photographer. He also said i was free to find any other photographer to get shots done but after that, they can represent me. he sounds like a good agency to start off with. what do you guys think? and any ideas where else i could look for photos. i live in central orlando. and if any photographers on the site would even be a good idea????? thanks for the help! smile

-kiki-

It sounds fine. $300 is actually a common rate. They suggested a photographer but also told you-you could find one on your own. Ask them if they have a list of recommended photographers. Different agencies often have different clients and you need to have the photos they feel are right for you. There are many places you can check up on this agency with. You can go to the Chamber Of Commerce, your states Attorney Generals office, you can type their name up in an Internet search.

Apr 25 06 03:25 pm Link

Model

Kathryn T

Miami, Florida, US

thanks everyone for your great info and advice!! i'll be sure to look into the agecny a little more and hopefully it turns out good! thanks again...any other comments are welcome also smile

Apr 25 06 06:02 pm Link