Forums > General Industry > Avatar usage

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

I am one of the few photographers that use my own image in my avatar. I am wondering if model are bothered by photographers who use the models image and then make outrageous or insulting posts in the forums. Is not the model's image too easily associated with the post of which they have nothing to do with? One more reason for photographers to use their own image. I mean, how would some of the photographers feel about their image being used with something they did not write and even disagree with?

Henry

Apr 24 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

That's why I switched to the puppy..  I figured someone who shits in my living room doesn't really care what I have to say.

Apr 24 06 02:11 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Hello Henry,
I personally like it when a photographer uses their own image. It makes me feel really comfortable with them knowing what they look like from the start. I admire you more if you've got your own image posted in addition simply sharing your work.

Your point makes a lot of sense, too!

Apr 24 06 02:13 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Wow, this is a good topic, Henry.  As for me, I would be flattered if a photographer decided to use one of my pics in his avatar.  smile 

The only thing is that if he happens to get into a real ugly fight in one of the forums on here, some immature person might actually respond by insulting him AND the model in his avatar (which would be me)...maybe by calling me an ugly b***h or something.  Some people are just cruel like that.

Apr 25 06 03:42 am Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

I use my image as my avatr, It may be helpful if the avatar didnt need to be 1 of the 20 port images like in facebook, your avatar is just a small avatar.

Martin IV

Apr 25 06 03:44 am Link

Model

N K

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I would say a photographer that has one of his "work" pictures for avatar will make me want to click it more because if I like the work I'll probably want to see more. That being said, I think all photographer should have at least one picture of them on their page. It makes it less impersonal and creepy to communicate with them. Not that those who don't are creepy, I just like to see who I'm speaking with.

Apr 25 06 03:50 am Link

Photographer

Michael J

Rustburg, Virginia, US

WG Rowland wrote:
That's why I switched to the puppy..  I figured someone who shits in my living room doesn't really care what I have to say.

That is simply perfect!  LMAO

But seriously, I never thought of it that way.  Guess I have to get an image of me now. . .

Apr 25 06 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Why would I want to waste one of my MM portfolio slots on a picture of me? In my  opinion, the images I have on MM are a portfolio of my work. And generally, I'm assuming that most people want to know what my work is like, not what I look like. And probably 90%+ of photographers on MM use a portfolio shot for their avatar, so I doubt that any comments I make are going to be mistakenly attributed to the model on my avatar.

Having said that, I do understand that some potential models might be curious about what I look like, and some may be more comfortable talking to me or working with me if they know what I look like. So for the curious, I do have a couple of self portraits on my bio page on my own website, which anyone can get to from MM.

For those who want to know what I look like, I provide a way to find that without too much trouble. But I'm not putting my own photo on my avatar. I want people's first impression of me to be a sample of my best work, not my own mugshot.

Apr 25 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Scott Aitken wrote:
Why would I want to waste one of my MM portfolio slots on a picture of me? In my  opinion, the images I have on MM are a portfolio of my work. And generally, I'm assuming that most people want to know what my work is like, not what I look like. And probably 90%+ of photographers on MM use a portfolio shot for their avatar, so I doubt that any comments I make are going to be mistakenly attributed to the model on my avatar.

Having said that, I do understand that some potential models might be curious about what I look like, and some may be more comfortable talking to me or working with me if they know what I look like. So for the curious, I do have a couple of self portraits on my bio page on my own website, which anyone can get to from MM.

For those who want to know what I look like, I provide a way to find that without too much trouble. But I'm not putting my own photo on my avatar. I want people's first impression of me to be a sample of my best work, not my own mugshot.

yeah i'm always curious as to how my looks affect my work...

Apr 25 06 11:01 am Link