Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > MUA...How long does it take for ...

Makeup Artist

Margoux Le Roux

Washington, District of Columbia, US

...you to do a basic application?

Apr 24 06 12:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

women, 20 minutes on average.  Men, 5 minutes.   thats without doing hair.

Apr 24 06 01:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

15-30 mins for basic and no hair.

Apr 25 06 01:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

10-30 mintues for women, no hair.  20-1:30 with hair (depending on hair)

Apr 25 06 01:23 am Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
10-30 mintues for women, no hair.

Dang- you beat me by 5 min!

Apr 25 06 01:29 am Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Years and years of Assistant Directors banging on the trailer doors.  LOL 

Something I've learned.  When the AD is asking you how long tell them odd numbers.  Don't say 5,10,15, etc.  I say 7 minutes.  Or 11 minutes.  Or 18 minutes.   It throws them off.  wink

Apr 25 06 01:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

Crap!  It takes me like 45 minutes.  I do the full Cleanse, Tone, Moisturize then I do the make-up.  No hair (I dont do hair).  That's why we have wonderful hairstylist for =P

Apr 25 06 07:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lynn

Don't feel bad Yisell I am a molasses MUA too.   I have not timed myself lately but ususally 40 to 45 minutes too.

Apr 28 06 10:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

It really depends on the models face/neck/hand skin; condition, dryness, puffiness, uneven coloring, age, acne, scars, hair (on the face) and hands & arms [or how much skin will be uncovered] (yes we have to take care of their hands too), if the photog will do post production your job will be easier. Their bone structure, if you are doing any corrective; minimizing the nose or elongating the face, opening the eyes, etc..

The type of makeup and setup you are using; ie, airbrush or hand applied makeup. Airbrush only takes 5 min for foundation,blush, highlight, eyeshadow & moisturizer -- but not on a hairy person or person with obvious wrinkles...

If they want eyelashes... some photogs want a "clean beauty" application but also want heavy false eyelashes (which really isn't a clean beauty).

If everything is perfect and the model has flawless skin, drinks plenty of water, has bright eyes, hasn't been drinking all night or pulling an all nighter... 5 minutes... or should I say 7? (I like that idea of throwing them off!!!)

20 - 45 min for a full corrective

Also, your job is a lot harder if they are phone talkers, eaters, movers, wincers, eyelid batters, trying to polish their fingernails, AND if it is for HIGH DEF film. Post production can take care of obvious problems in print, but on film your model is being photographed while in motion -- a lot more difficult to cover and look natural. Plus, High Def is put on a 50 foot screen.

If you can see unevenous, mismatched tone, racing stripe blush, flakes, dark circles... then so can the camera!

It's better to give yourself a little more time and make the photog or DP happy because you were done quicker, than to tell them 7 minutes per person... and have someone with all of the above problems sit in your chair....

**Also, it's better to take care and minimize the post production work for the photog while in your chair -- it makes their job easier and the client happier when they get their photos sooner smile

Apr 28 06 10:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Some times you have 45 minutes per person but I do mostly commercial shoots and usually am given only 30 min for face and hair.  There have been many times I have been given only 5 or 10 minutes.  I just do what I can in the amount of time alloted.  If the model walks in and I am told "you have 7 minutes"  and thats true of most tv interviews....  I just do the necessities and leave a lot of stuff undone....They get lipstick, mascara, blush and a little cover up on the blemishes.

Apr 28 06 12:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Ashley Elizabeth wrote:
Years and years of Assistant Directors banging on the trailer doors.  LOL 

Something I've learned.  When the AD is asking you how long tell them odd numbers.  Don't say 5,10,15, etc.  I say 7 minutes.  Or 11 minutes.  Or 18 minutes.   It throws them off.  wink

thats so funny... i totally do that too. it buys more time beacuse they round up, so if you say 7 minutes they will come back in ten, 11 minutes they will come back in 15 or 20. works every time.

Apr 28 06 01:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Picture Perfect Makeup wrote:
It really depends on the models face/neck/hand skin; condition, dryness, puffiness, uneven coloring, age, acne, scars, hair (on the face) and hands & arms [or how much skin will be uncovered] (yes we have to take care of their hands too), if the photog will do post production your job will be easier. Their bone structure, if you are doing any corrective; minimizing the nose or elongating the face, opening the eyes, etc..

The type of makeup and setup you are using; ie, airbrush or hand applied makeup. Airbrush only takes 5 min for foundation,blush, highlight, eyeshadow & moisturizer -- but not on a hairy person or person with obvious wrinkles...

If they want eyelashes... some photogs want a "clean beauty" application but also want heavy false eyelashes (which really isn't a clean beauty).

If everything is perfect and the model has flawless skin, drinks plenty of water, has bright eyes, hasn't been drinking all night or pulling an all nighter... 5 minutes... or should I say 7? (I like that idea of throwing them off!!!)

20 - 45 min for a full corrective

Also, your job is a lot harder if they are phone talkers, eaters, movers, wincers, eyelid batters, trying to polish their fingernails, AND if it is for HIGH DEF film. Post production can take care of obvious problems in print, but on film your model is being photographed while in motion -- a lot more difficult to cover and look natural. Plus, High Def is put on a 50 foot screen.

If you can see unevenous, mismatched tone, racing stripe blush, flakes, dark circles... then so can the camera!

It's better to give yourself a little more time and make the photog or DP happy because you were done quicker, than to tell them 7 minutes per person... and have someone with all of the above problems sit in your chair....

**Also, it's better to take care and minimize the post production work for the photog while in your chair -- it makes their job easier and the client happier when they get their photos sooner smile

I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood my post.  I don't start off telling the AD 7 minutes.  (unless it's some male day player)  but ADs are always coming into the trailer asking how much longer.  So that's when I start throwing out the odd numbers. 

Another thing, (speaking of broadcast/film) it's always good to know which lens is going up on the camera.   That way you know whether you need to be a perfectionist or if you can just get by with the basics.  Besides knowing make-up, we also need to understand the different lenses and lighting.  Something a lot of newbies skip over.

Apr 28 06 03:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I can do a basic look in 15 min less if the skin is good. and a whole look with hair in 20-45 min. But often I dont have that much time so like Mary said you do what you can with the time your given so if they just get lips and eyes then you have atlest gotten them some where.
I just did a film where i had to apply a full face and neck and hands foam lates applances to the actor and it took just over 5 hrs, that thus far is the longest make-up application I have done to date smile

But application time depends on whats going on, if its a test or your being paied by the hr. ect. Some times people need that "extra attention" so they would be upset if you were done to quickly. Especially brides are like that.

Apr 29 06 01:42 am Link