Forums > General Industry > The MUA's stake in image and likeness rights

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Since some group events I have attended were greatly enhanced through the services of an MUA, I am curious as to their stakes in the resulting images.

We know that the photographer owns the image and the model owns their likeness, but what about the MUA?

Can makeup work be legally recognized from a copyright standpoint? Would it have to be some unique style?

If an MUA displays an image of their work, does the typical photographer's model release cover MUA usage as well?

It would seem that MUA's are somewhat more vulnerable as far as credit and recognition. Perhaps this is why fewer work for TFCD?

Apr 24 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I guess it all depends on the relationship of the MUA to the shoot.  In most of the "seminar" type shoots I have been involved in, the MUA is paid to be there.  In that case, they have no "rights" to any images.  However, the photographer can give her images if they want.  Most of the releases I have used at these shoots give the rights of use to the photographer but limit the sale of images.  When I have given images to the MUA (or the hair stylist or clothing stylist), I have asked the model if they mind and added it to the release. 

If the MUA is doing it for free, then I would assume that there would be some sharing of images with the MUA as part of the arrangement. 

And I agree with your statement that the MUA really enhances the shoot!!!

Apr 24 06 10:20 am Link