Forums > General Industry > Vintage Equipment Vs. Digital...

Photographer

artphotodude

Cathedral City, California, US

I am pretty lucky, in that I have access to both the latest digital equipment (Sinar Braun 54H digital back, Canon 1Ds Mark II etc), but what I have learned, especially with the subject matter that I shoot is that many of my old, vintage cameras actually drastically outperform the new gear. 

The old gear includes:

*A Minolta Autocord - Just as sharp as our Hassys (at f8 or beyond), much less maintenance, and lighter/quieter/more convenient.

*A Graflex Graphic View with Ektar 203mm Dyalite lens and 100mm Wide Field Ektar lens.  Rather than the modern lens that attempts to perform sharply at all f-stops, these two are perfect compliments.  One is long, one is short.  One is sharp-wide open, the other is sharp stopped-down.  One one has practically no depth of field, the other has nearly limitless depth of field.  One produces no flare at all and perfect bokeh, the other flares very vividly and creates a tense, hectic bokeh.  So basically between the two, almost any 'mood' and images handling is possible.

*Lastly, I occasionally shoot with a very old Bentzin Primar folding plate camera.  This one fits double-extension bellows, ground glass viewing, and a great Carl Zeiss Jena lens into a folding camera that is 4"x5"x1/2".  It was designed to take glass plates but adapted to cut-film very well and produces a very unique, "gentle focus" to every subject, with the best bokeh in the known universe.  The models also tend to transform a bit in front of this crazy-looking old timer.  Like they know that this thing means business. 

For special effects shots (especially in low light) I have had to use the modern equipment, but in 90% of the work, the old film gear is kicking butt.  Also, it never hurts to be able to make a 40"+ print.

Anyone else like to the old gear?

Apr 24 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

this should be no surprise - digital is in its infancy. 

many of my cameras are older than me, and far outperform digital (or even many newer film cameras!).

check out the thread in the photo forum about mamiya shutting down.  lots of good rants and examples in there.

Apr 24 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Thos Damn Yankees

I love my Linhofs and lenses and I have all the latest-greatest digital crap, too.   I scan 4x5 negs for 500MB files and they are stunning. Only the H2 could rival it, but not beat it.

Apr 24 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Assuming that one is producing anything other than darkroom prints, the final quality of a vintage equipment images is limited by the capability of the film scanner, which is perhaps in toddlerhood vs. infancy.

A "so-so" old camera with a high-end drum scanner will normally result in better images that a high-end Hasselblad / Zeiss optics rig with an 'Office Max special" flatbed scanner.

Apr 24 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

rp_photo wrote:
'Office Max special" flatbed scanner.

those don't count smile

Apr 24 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

SimonL

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

It's horses for courses..

I've tried digital, it didn't suit me or the results I'm after. The prints at 20x16 lacked quality and punch, and a real lack of tonality in the darks and blacks..

Therefore, I'll stay with a brace of F3's and Bronicas, whilst currently upgrading to Mamiya RB67's.. because it suits ME to do that..

When I see a perceptible change in the quality of digital that I like, I'll reconsider changing..

But as stated earlier, digital is in it's infancy.. the 100+ years of film technology we use and enjoy will be with us for a long time to come yet..

So for me.. 'vintage'..

Apr 24 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Christopher Bush wrote:
those don't count smile

About two years ago, when I first felt a yearning to share my images with others, all I had was a $100 HP 3970 flatbed and decades-old film images. I then moved to the present by scanning new film with it, then getting a "real" K-M Dual IV scanner, and finally a Nikon D50 DSLR.

Here is an image from a 126 film negative taken in early 70's and scanned with the 3970:

https://www.richardsfault.com/photography/01-early/017.jpg

Apr 24 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

Just bought a Mamiya RB67 this morning.  I sure I'm gonna love it.  Of course, my co-worker who shoots with a large format camera still thinks I just starting to take baby steps in the right direction. lol.

Apr 24 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

rp_photo wrote:
Assuming that one is producing anything other than darkroom prints, the final quality of a vintage equipment images is limited by the capability of the film scanner.

Actually, I print only in the darkroom.  I shoot in 4x5 and 5x7 with a Sinar Norma and a selection of lenses, the oldest of which is an 1860's-vintage Hermagis portrait lens.  For snapshots I shoot roll film with a Rolleiflex or a folder.

I used to print digitally but no matter how much I squinted it never looked like a photograph.  So I cannibalized a big closet for a darkroom.  Really, who needs a lot of clothes? 

The good news is that you can assemble a first-class camera and darkroom for much less than the cost of a digicam -- and the camera and enlarger will outlive you.  I can speak only for myself, but I've yet to see digital output that can match a fiber print from a 4x5 negative. 

Nor can I imagine feeling the emotional attachment to a digital camera that I feel for my film camera.  Working in film, I feel myself to be a part of a 150-year-old tradition.  I look through my lenses and wonder who else used them before me, and what did they see through them? 

Somebody smarter than me once pointed out that online forums like this are digital mdia that attract the digital converts, so my guess is that this thread will be thinly populated. 

Sanders McNew

Apr 24 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

artphotodude

Cathedral City, California, US

Mark Wangerin wrote:
I love my Linhofs and lenses and I have all the latest-greatest digital crap, too.   I scan 4x5 negs for 500MB files and they are stunning. Only the H2 could rival it, but not beat it.

Actually, the H2 is pretty crappy.  Check-out the bench tests on their new "non-Zeiss" lenses.  Good contrast but very poor sharpness.  What good is a 500mb digital file with only 60mb of information?

Apr 24 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'd say it depends on the final destination of your images. 

If you want to hang your photos on the wall, there's no substitute using a good film camera, good materials (film, paper, & chemicals), and good exposure, developing, & printing techniques.  Digital doesn't come close -- not at all.

If you want to post your images on the web or if you want "typical" magazine quality, film is still best, but digital comes close, and sometimes it is difficult to distinguish whether an image started life digitally or film-aly. 

Apr 24 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Sanders McNew wrote:
I used to print digitally but no matter how much I squinted it never looked like a photograph.  So I cannibalized a big closet for a darkroom.  Really, who needs a lot of clothes?

i'm moving to a bigger apt this weekend, and just might have room to set up my 6x7 omega that's been sitting in corner...

i popped for a nikon ls9000 and epson r1800, and the results are pretty good.  for the kind of stuff i shoot, i don't need much photoshop, but i have to retain the option of minor retouching.  the catch is that i cannot shoot for both - neg film does not work well in the scanner, and chromes don't work well in the kitchen (i hate rotary processing).  so i guess...personal work on negs, fashion stuff on chrome.  maybe i should just shoot everything black and white so i don't have to worry about it.

Apr 24 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Christopher Bush wrote:
i popped for a nikon ls9000 and epson r1800, and the results are pretty good.  for the kind of stuff i shoot, i don't need much photoshop, but i have to retain the option of minor retouching.  the catch is that i cannot shoot for both - neg film does not work well in the scanner, and chromes don't work well in the kitchen (i hate rotary processing).  so i guess...personal work on negs, fashion stuff on chrome.  maybe i should just shoot everything black and white so i don't have to worry about it.

I feel your pain.  I've got an Omega D-2 in the closet, which works for my 4x5s but not my 5x7s.  I just bought an old Eastman Model E enlarger for the 5x7 negatives, but the column is over five feet tall and the baseboard is -- well, it's not fitting inside the closet, that's for sure.

If I were working in color, I might move to digital -- as you note, color chemistry is a lot more fuss than B+W.  But I'm a B+W photographer and quite content to stick with film and paper.

Sanders.

Apr 24 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Sanders McNew wrote:
If I were working in color, I might move to digital -- as you note, color chemistry is a lot more fuss than B+W.

two words: tetenal mono

room temp ra-4 that works great in trays.  i hope it's still around! smile

Apr 24 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm a bigamist.  I use both quite happily.

Apr 24 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Sanders McNew wrote:

I feel your pain.  I've got an Omega D-2 in the closet, which works for my 4x5s but not my 5x7s.  I just bought an old Eastman Model E enlarger for the 5x7 negatives, but the column is over five feet tall and the baseboard is -- well, it's not fitting inside the closet, that's for sure.

If I were working in color, I might move to digital -- as you note, color chemistry is a lot more fuss than B+W.  But I'm a B+W photographer and quite content to stick with film and paper.

Sanders.

Sanders,

I have been enlarger printing color since 1966, and find it to be easier to print and finish, than B&W. I can have a 16x20 print processed, washed, and ready to dry in seven minutes. My Ilford fiber prints would just be going into the second fixer bath, in seven minutes. Then there is the long wash time, soaking in pakosol to soften the prints, and over night air drying.

My darkroom is an apartment kitchen, with light tight black panels placed over the windows.

There is some great work being done with digital today, and I like shooting both digital and film. It's all just stuff for getting to the finished prints. I am finding that with the new one pictoliter printers, I have smaller ink droplets, than the grain size from some of the films, like the older Tri X. About half of my 120 film negatives are now scanned to make digital prints.

Apr 24 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Can it be said that if one doesn't need prints, digital is better, but if top-quality prints are vital, then use film?

Apr 24 06 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

It doesn't seem accurate to compare vintage film equipment to current digital equipment~ more accurately you should be comparing film stock to digital capture since other than the recording method, cameras are cameras.  Or, you could compare old cameras to new cameras in general, silver or pixel.

Personally, I've been shooting work digitally for a little over a year, and I think the results feel MORE organic and intuitive than any film based work I've shot for the previous 13 years...with the possible exception of black and white.

Do I have an attachment to the history and art of photography, sure, I'm a b+w fine printer by day...do I also embrace the future?  Yes, with open arms.

Apr 24 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

I use both...........

Digital is for quick stuff and shows and at the races, if I need it all in a hurry.....

And when I have time to enjoy what I do then the M6 comes out and I can really take my time and relax (these shoots are enjoyable and it really does`nt feel like work at all)

If I could have my choice (AND BE PAID FOR EVERYTHING!) I`d just use my Leica and my trusty Canon F-1 while no matter what digital camera it is......NO DIGITAL comes close to the sharpness and contast and look that real colour and black and white film give you........not for any $$$$ or any megapixels and all that yada yada....

Apr 24 06 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

I have that 203 Ektar and the older Anistigmat version as well as some assorted Optars I use  on a Graphic View II and various Pacemaker Speeds.

Been looking for a Wide Field Ektar to replace my 90mm W.A. Raptar that is only so so.

The single coated, uncoated glass can give you some real nice color work as well as stellar B&W performance.

I do most of my model work on a DSLR though as it seems to fit my way of working.

We can enjoy the best of both worlds.

Apr 24 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Sanders McNew wrote:
If I were working in color, I might move to digital.

Sanders.

I should have added that, being partly color-blind, no one should be expecting me to move to color (or digital) any time soon.  :-)

Sanders.

Apr 24 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Apr 24 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Justin N Lane wrote:
Personally, I've been shooting work digitally for a little over a year, and I think the results feel MORE organic and intuitive than any film based work I've shot for the previous 13 years...with the possible exception of black and white.

Justin, greetings.  Can you elaborate?  Both the main idea, and the exception?  Sanders.

Apr 24 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:
My darkroom is an apartment kitchen, with light tight black panels placed over the windows.

Marvin, greetings.  I might be going in the same direction with my 5x7 enlarger.  How did you make your panels?  Sanders.

Apr 24 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Drumscanners are old and quite mature technology. They use photometric tubes. Yes, tubes. Which are far more sensitive to a much broader range of light than any silicon-based chip (CCD/CMOS, etc). The original video technology.

They're a little bulky to put in a camcorder, though.

Apr 24 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Sanders McNew wrote:

Justin, greetings.  Can you elaborate?  Both the main idea, and the exception?  Sanders.

Hey Sanders,

since it's kind of divergent from the post here, I'll message you with some thoughts...

btw, our worlds are colliding through models more and more...

J

Apr 24 06 10:13 pm Link