Forums > General Industry > $20 packages at glamour shots

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

they do families and kids now...offer a 20 buck package that includes 5 8x10 units and a couple of 8x12's...will these mega giants and digital cameras be the death of many shooters???

Apr 24 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Landra Lee Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

But the photos LOOK like they cost $20 for an entire package.

Apr 24 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Yes, if you're competing with stores in the mall.  And failing.

Apr 24 06 12:31 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Someone stated long ago,  not I.

But many models would be better off starting with such a package to start off with.

We see what you look like.  More than can be said for many shots that I see.

Apr 24 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

These types of "studios" are not who I'm competing with. I don't think they're real competition, in that people who want to pay $20.00 for a bunch of crappy formula-shot images won't be looking to hire any of us. Studios like Target, Sears, ProEx, etc. have been around awhile and I don't really see them as competition as they aren't competing in our market. Still, it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on them and see what they do so you can let your clients know why they should spend a lot more to hire us instead.

-P-

Apr 24 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Yes, if you're competing with stores in the mall.  And failing.

we are all competing with the mall as the mentality of the consumer both private and commercial are being taught to expect more...pay less.

Apr 24 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

BCG wrote:
will these mega giants and digital cameras be the death of many shooters???

One can only hope...

Apr 24 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

BCG wrote:

we are all competing with the mall as the mentality of the consumer both private and commercial are being taught to expect more...pay less.

That's capitalism.  Get used to it.

Apr 24 06 12:42 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

That's capitalism.  Get used to it.

i am...but the tactic i took pisses off other local shooters.

Apr 24 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

BCG wrote:

i am...but the tactic i took pisses off other local shooters.

They should get used to it.  It's capitalism.

Apr 24 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Photos2amaze

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Heck, thats nothing.  Wal Mart has a package for about $5  LOL!  Now it looks like 5 pounds of S in a 2 pound bag, but some folks cant afford much more.  I guess it works for different markets.

Apr 24 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

They should get used to it.  It's capitalism.

enron and exxon prove that corporate terrorism is far more damaging than a bunch of goddless f*cks ramming a 757 into a building.

Apr 24 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

BCG wrote:

enron and exxon prove that corporate terrorism is far more damaging than a bunch of goddless f*cks ramming a 757 into a building.

Non sequitor much?

Is Glamour Shots doing anything illegal?

Apr 24 06 01:06 am Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Doesn't bother me a bit-keeps the mommies and time-wasters out of my way so the good work can be done.

I even tell people that say "I just want a couple of portraits..." to go to Walmart.   If they insit I charge them an abysmal price for my time and unused talent..

Apr 24 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Non sequitor much?

Is Glamour Shots doing anything illegal?

exxon and enron did...gs will force some dudes out of business, but i continue to grow.

Apr 24 06 01:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
These types of "studios" are not who I'm competing with. I don't think they're real competition, in that people who want to pay $20.00 for a bunch of crappy formula-shot images won't be looking to hire any of us. Studios like Target, Sears, ProEx, etc. have been around awhile and I don't really see them as competition as they aren't competing in our market. Still, it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on them and see what they do so you can let your clients know why they should spend a lot more to hire us instead.

-P-

Amen Pat! Even if each photographer in the city had the same people in the same clothing with the same backgrounds -- the pictures will be different because this is really art. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (the beholder of the camera)...
in cookie cutter studios, they are "canned" poses, lighting, equipment so they will never compare to a work of art. Our job would be to educate the client's eye.

Apr 24 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Picture Perfect Makeup wrote:
Amen Pat! Even if each photographer in the city had the same people in the same clothing with the same backgrounds -- the pictures will be different because this is really art. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (the beholder of the camera)...
in cookie cutter studios, they are "canned" poses, lighting, equipment so they will never compare to a work of art. Our job would be to educate the client's eye.

Not only that but seeing as my mom, sis and aunt go there yearly for shoots-the images always come back looking like someone took a house paint sprayer and tried to approximate them into looking like ho's.

Apr 24 06 01:17 am Link

Photographer

Star

Funny, it costs 249.00 at Glamour Family Photography

Apr 24 06 03:36 am Link

Photographer

Paulo Rodrigues

London, England, United Kingdom

My partner took my newborn to have her picture taken for free in a shoping centre. She really liked the pictures but I hated them, they made my baby look like she was dead. I hate them even more since her cousin had a stillborn baby and the hospital produced pictures of the dead baby with a very similar composition.

Apr 24 06 03:45 am Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

Paulo Rodrigues wrote:
My partner took my newborn to have her picture taken for free in a shoping centre. She really liked the pictures but I hated them, they made my baby look like she was dead. I hate them even more since her cousin had a stillborn baby and the hospital produced pictures of the dead baby with a very similar composition.

Several years ago there was a cashier at a local department store who wore photo buttons of her stillborn baby while she was at work.  While I can understand that maybe this was her way of grieving, but I don't understand creating memories of things that didn't actually happen (the baby was dressed up in some of them).  I also didn't feel it was appropriate to wear these images at work, but maybe I just don't understand it since I'm not a mother.

Apr 24 06 12:25 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Glamour shots only charges $20? How can they even be making any money? I definately don't think the good photographers on here should worry about it. No model is going to hit up Glamour Shots for a portfolio update. At least I would hope not!

Apr 24 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

BCG wrote:

Now if only higher education and health car would jump on this bandwagon!

Apr 24 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

As far as hurting our reputation, I would worry a lot more about adult entertainment venues that hide behind the name "modeling studio".

Mall photo studios fill a need and so do high-end and/or non-traditional photographers like us.

Apr 24 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
Glamour shots only charges $20? How can they even be making any money? I definately don't think the good photographers on here should worry about it. No model is going to hit up Glamour Shots for a portfolio update. At least I would hope not!

Upsell.  The first shot is only $20.  If you want any more it's $200.

Apr 24 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Paulo Rodrigues

London, England, United Kingdom

Narhan wrote:
Several years ago there was a cashier at a local department store who wore photo buttons of her stillborn baby while she was at work.  While I can understand that maybe this was her way of grieving, but I don't understand creating memories of things that didn't actually happen (the baby was dressed up in some of them).  I also didn't feel it was appropriate to wear these images at work, but maybe I just don't understand it since I'm not a mother.

Yeah the whole dressing the baby up in a pile of soft toys is a little weird. The babies grandmother was showing everyone 10x8s at a kids party.

Apr 24 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Sorry Glamourshots... like 'MC Hammer' says:  "Cant Touch This"... wink

Apr 25 06 04:44 am Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

Apr 25 06 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake