Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Building hair kit - products&equipment?

Makeup Artist

Beautywithinu

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I'm noticing on more shoot photographers are expecting (would like) me to do hair as well. So far it's been "okay" but I want to be better. I'm very aware on what african american hair needs are, but honestly I just don't know a lot about Caucasian hair and what types of products/equipement is needed, and since most of my models are non-AA, I want to step up my game. This is what I have so far as I'm building my hair kit. Please let me know if there is something necessary that I'm missing. Thanks.

Suave spray gel - extra control
trendline - finish spray - strong
redken - spray starch
dove -anti frizz cream
biosilk - silk therapy
got2b - spiking glue

revlon 1600 blow dry
gold-n-hot - flat iron
1 inch curling iron

Genelle
www.beautywithinu.com

Apr 23 06 07:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beautywithinu

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I noticed no response, was this covered before, if so, I didn't see it. My apologies, I also figured that someone would have replied, based on some of the questions that I have seen other people ask before. Oh well.....

Apr 24 06 06:03 am Link

Makeup Artist

Pazza_x_Trucco

El Centro, California, US

Beautywithinu wrote:
I noticed no response, was this covered before, if so, I didn't see it. My apologies, I also figured that someone would have replied, based on some of the questions that I have seen other people ask before. Oh well.....

Give it a little time ^_^ ppl can be busy/tired & forget to come back to comment.

But I hear some TIGI & Sebastian hair products are really good...I'm interested in knowing too. ^_^

For Volumizing

Luis Santiago wrote:
Either Bumble and Bumble volumizing spray or Phyto Active volumizing spray will give you great volume while you blow dry with a natural feel.  This is done on wet hair before blow drying.  If you really want tol defy gravity, you will have no choice but to tease.  I love Sebastian Shaper spray for this.

Straight Irons

Emily Chen wrote:
p.s. check out Pul Brown irons. the thinner the better (you can get closer to your scalp with a thin one).

Blow Dryers
https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=36888

Product Advice
https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=34402

Apr 24 06 06:27 am Link

Makeup Artist

Beautywithinu

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Thanks a lot for that. I have no problem experimenting, but I feel that you can't just put any type of products on people's hair, it's not like makeup. Which, I guess is the reason why I thought I would have gotten a little more feedback, but your response has really helped. Thanks again!

Apr 24 06 05:24 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Emily Chen

Rochester, New York, US

I would stick with proffessional products. i don't know the dirt on "Got 2 Be", but i know that suave is absolutely horrible, watered down, very low quality. thier shampoos have a pH level of about an 8, which will dry out anyone's hair with regular use. finbd a line that you like. i would just make sure to include:

-light styling gel
-strong styling gel
-shine spray or serum ( i like sprays, bc they are easier to distribute.)
-light hair spray
-finishing spray
-light pomade/wax/paste
-strong pomade/wax/paste
-blowdrying lotion (or you can use your light styling gel)
-thermal setting spray

any proffessional line will carry these products (with different names of course, for ex. a light hair spray could be called "sculpting spray", a thermal setting spray may be called "hot sets", a light pomade could be called "sculpting putty", and etc..) go into a good salon and ask a stylist which is which if you're not sure.

equippment wise, i personally just carry a blow dryer, diffuser, and my beloved paul brown flat iron which replaces any curling irons as well. it is great for straightening, flipping, and curling. i would also bring an assortment of round brushes for blowdrying, a paddle brush to brush out tangly hair, and a boar bristle brush to smooth out upstyles and what-not.

other things
- bobby pins
- hair pins
- hair rubber bands
- water bottle
- hair cutting cape (so your client is not covered in hairspray when you're done)
- hand mirror

hope this helps.

~Emily Chen

Apr 24 06 06:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I have a list from a hair styling workshop...Send me your e-mail addy if you want it.

Faith B.

Apr 24 06 08:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beautywithinu

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Emily - that helps so much, thank you.

Faith - I sent you my email address as well.

Best regards,

Genelle C.

Apr 24 06 08:37 pm Link