Photographer

Anna H Photography

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

I'm not a mua(obviously) but i was wondering, does it bother any mua that i or any other photographers smooth the skin of the model in photoshop? I know that theyd complain if i changed the shape or colour but if a model has huge pores in the photo is it ok to do a little something?

thanks

Apr 23 06 11:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well it really depdends on what and where the image is going and how it looks in the end, I worked with a photographer once who relied very heavily on photo shop and when i would get the images back, i would have a non pore, no veins in the eyeball, over corrected lips and make-up changes, to say the least i dont work with that photographer any more.I was extreamly frusterated as this person wouldnt give me the original untouched images as I now have images that I cant really use or atleast dont feel comfortable using smile
but if a photog removes zits and smooths skin in a way that it look "natural" (pores are still visible) then I'm ok with that unless its going ot be entered into a competion for the make-up, alot of these competions require no photoshopping at all. So i think it depends on the make-up artist that your dealing with, I would ask him or her , and if you want send them copies of both on a cd and let them pick which one they want to use in their book.
Yes your name goes on this end product too, but usually when a make-up artist put something in their book and they are going for jobs, the people hiring them look at the make-up, or the hair, not nessisarily the lighting, the model, other than to see if what they have created works on the face they have made up.
I think its more of a personal thing, i saw one make-up artist book and it was so touched up that i wasnt sure if the make-up was done by the make-up artist or their computer. I would definatly ask your artist before spending countless hrs on the computer smile
But thats just my 2 cents.....Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Apr 23 06 03:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Anna H Photography wrote:
I'm not a mua(obviously) but i was wondering, does it bother any mua that i or any other photographers smooth the skin of the model in photoshop? I know that theyd complain if i changed the shape or colour but if a model has huge pores in the photo is it ok to do a little something?

thanks

as a photographer I would either learn a good deal about photoshop before touching the photo or send your stuff to a good photoshopper.  People underestimate the value of proper photoshop....If you can tell it's been photoshopped it wasn't done correctly but I believe every photo (just about) should be perfected in photoshop.  A lot of people I work with do nothing to the photos and when I see them as an ad in a magazine I just CRINGE....  It looks very unprofessional in my opinion to let anything out into the public until it is as good as you can get it....I'm a perfectionist smile

Apr 23 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Anna H Photography

yeah well i was just curious about how muas felt about it, of course if the images were in photoshop and my mua didnt like them then id give them something they would like (unretouched, ect) i dont think id ever attempt to "do" any makeup in photoshop personally. all i wanted to know is if it was accecptable to smooth the skin nicel. i just did a bunch of fashion shots so i figure im going to really smooth the skin out.

Apr 24 06 07:44 am Link

Makeup Artist

Face 2 face

Atlanta, Georgia, US

As an Esthetician/MUA, Of course I'd want smooth skin -but sometimes we get little flaws (LOL) that can be touched up-if it looks natural, not overdone. I don't mind if the shot will be improved.  I trust the photographer wants the best image as well as the model. Make that picture Rock! is the first thing-so test it out if it looks good roll with it-Always Face 2 face

Apr 24 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Anna H Photography

well i think any of my shots with makeup are a good example of what i do to them. so i guess now i should ask, are they any good? smile

Apr 24 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

End use is the key here.

If you get a MUA to work for trade you OWE the MUA images that don't have the look retouched. I personally would not consider correcting whitebalance and lighting in photoshop to be retouching. Removing a mole or pimple is something I often do. But I send the MUA two images from one file then. I would never adjust a detail shadow or lipstick, eye liner/shadow, cheek blush, or any other feature of the makeup for the MUA's protfolio images. I think it is just good manners to discuss the extent of post processing with each MUA you trade with on a case by case basis.

What I do with the images for my own use... a totally different issue.

Apr 24 06 10:19 am Link