Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How much should I tip?

Photographer

Brewer35MM

Biddeford, Maine, US

I just came home from having my daughter shot.(CLICK!) not (BANG!)
The photographer that was shooting her got a hair and makeup artist on a TFCD bases.
I would have to say that it was one of the best shoots she has done.
I will now be doing the same, which is bringing in a makeup artist and getting them to do TFCD. The way I look at it is, it dosen't cost me or the models anything for the shoot.(That I would consider a lost)
The artists uses their own makeup and I know it's not cheep.
I'd like to know what you think is a fair "tip" on a TFCD shoot?

Apr 22 06 08:51 pm Link

Model

CassandraLorien

Brooklyn, New York, US

Depends on how many models it is. What you're talking about is called a "Kit fee" which is money to replace the expendables in his/her kit.

Like I said it really depends on the amount of work their going to be doing, In a tfp setting for 1 model 1-3 looks i would say 15-25$ or provide lunch. There’s no harm in asking them what they would like as a kit fee.

I know for me I use all professional quality sponges and sometimes very expensive lashes/embelishments, and it can cost me anywhere from 2-30$ PER LOOK but when you're getting the photographs sometimes that’s what costs to build your port.

hope this helps.

-cass

Apr 23 06 10:05 am Link

Model

MarleneM aka Mimi

Jamaica, New York, US

Definately offer a kit fee as the previous respondent suggested. I usually charge $25-35 for exceptional photographers & models with shoot in the same city. Tips are always welcome in addition to the fee.

MarleneM
~Studio 7 MUA~

Apr 23 06 10:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I do TFCD on selected projects and depending on the look and what were creating I charge any where from the  minimal charge of $25 up to $60 for a look, I have has some people complain about this fee but like you said, it dosent cost as much for the model and photog for a tfcd ( I can refer people to a perviouse thread called "is a kit fee so much to ask" this forum has covered the individual costs and "fights" on this subject) and alot of time the project is what the photog or model wants to shoot, I dont charge my fee if the concept is mine and its something that i want to do for my book.
But i think coveing the costs is always appreciated especially if the mua is just starting out, these products get expesive fast and at the end of the year you need to replace almost everything sad
....smile Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Apr 23 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Brewer35MM

Biddeford, Maine, US

Thank you all for the input... smile
I was and plan on a "kit fee" of about $50.

-Chris

Apr 24 06 09:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cool Artist2005

Dumont, New Jersey, US

Brewer35MM wrote:
Thank you all for the input... smile
I was and plan on a "kit fee" of about $50.

-Chris

50 is very fair

Apr 25 06 02:31 pm Link