Forums > General Industry > Just say no to....

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

Okay - I don't want to seem rude, but there are several themes in photos that just seem over done, or in bad taste. HEre is my small list of "just say no to..."

What are yours?

1)  Just say no to - SWORDS IN PHOTOS
2)  Just say no to - GRAVEYARD PHOTOS
3)  Just say no to - WEBCAM PHOTOS
4)  Just say no to - 'The Crow' STYLE MAKEUP
5)  Just say no to - "laying in rose pedals" PHOTOS
6)  Just say no to - CHICK WITH GUNS (very few full this off, power to those who do)
7)  Just say no to -  BAD DAMSEL IN DISTRESS
8)  Just say no to - SHOOTING IN YOUR BEDROOM/APARTMENT/LIVINGROOM (certainly when it is not well designed)

Sorry if this offends anyone...it's just kind of a small rant and peeve I have. Theres just some photos / props / locations that seem to be used in very inneffective ways or over used.

Apr 22 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

fetish without a point!

Apr 22 06 12:30 am Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
fetish without a point!

lol - Ive seen some of that...it kind of confuses me

at least they are trying

Apr 22 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Girls in nothing but firemans pants,big wide red suspenders and a firemans helmet holding an axe/extinguisher....

Apr 22 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

And no mattah WHUT y`all say, I LIKE my hand bra shot,lol.

Apr 22 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Lady Atropos wrote:
Okay - I don't want to seem rude, but there are several themes in photos that just seem over done, or in bad taste. HEre is my small list of "just say no to..."

What are yours?

1)  Just say no to - SWORDS IN PHOTOS
2)  Just say no to - GRAVEYARD PHOTOS
3)  Just say no to - WEBCAM PHOTOS
5)  Just say no to - "laying in rose pedals" PHOTOS
6)  Just say no to - CHICK WITH GUNS (very few full this off, power to those who do)
7)  Just say no to -  BAD DAMSEL IN DISTRESS
8)  Just say no to - SHOOTING IN YOUR BEDROOM/APARTMENT/LIVINGROOM (certainly when it is not well designed)

Sorry if this offends anyone...it's just kind of a small rant and peeve I have. Theres just some photos / props / locations that seem to be used in very inneffective ways or over used.

Is it ok with bougainvilla petals/flowers - have no idea what the real term is..=*^)

https://modelmayhem.com/pics.php?id=33062

last image on the page

As for #7 - a ton of my images are shot on locations, homes, bathrooms, living rooms, whatever - and no one has ever complained that the image didn't work because it was shot is such a location - as a matter of fact - sometimes an image WILL work just because it WAS shot like that.

A decent artist can make ANY location - or prop - work...

Apr 22 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
fetish without a point!

like "The Point" with Harry Nilsson?....

Apr 22 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

leather ballerinas..  Sorry, but.... No..

And tying them up doesn't help..

Probably just my aversion to thigh high boots..  Those are just cruel to those of us with calf fetishes..  (Moo)

Apr 22 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Say no to that lousy hand bra with the shit eating smile crapola.

99% of the time it just looks like some GWC just talked you into showing him your boobs.

Apr 22 06 01:17 am Link

Model

The Matthew Ross

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

just say NO to too much retro, I don't get the whole going back thing sometimes.

Apr 22 06 01:17 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

John Jebbia wrote:
Say no to that lousy hand bra with the shit eating smile crapola.

99% of the time it just looks like some GWC just talked you into showing him your boobs.

Hey!

Apr 22 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Matthew918 wrote:
just say NO to too much retro, I don't get the whole going back thing sometimes.

If you like a certain style from the past in photography and have shot something in the same style because you liked it so,,,,,,then yes, you understand.

Apr 22 06 01:28 am Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

Just say no to....crappy motel room photos that are suppose to be high class glamour

Apr 22 06 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Lady Atropos wrote:
Just say no to....crappy motel room photos that are suppose to be high class glamour

It`s a living room, dammit!..I mean......uh,,,um,yea, sorry,,,,,,,,,,heh smile

Apr 22 06 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Hey!

No, that one is good. I think you know the style I'm talking about.

Apr 22 06 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

John Jebbia wrote:

No, that one is good. I think you know the style I'm talking about.

-Unrolls shirt sleeves- Thanks smile

Apr 22 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Lady Atropos wrote:

Motel room shots can be done well. I've seen a couple shots on here where it was obviously done in a hotel, but they were awesome shot. Using the scene to enhance the image.

In fact, I am currently working on a motel room project. I have been casting models for it, and I know they are thinking I'm an idiot when I tell them we're shooting in a motel. But oh well, it's all about the results, huh?

Apr 22 06 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

To photographs with TOO much baby oil. Baby oil is supposed to mimmick the wet with water/sweat look,imo. If you apply TOO much oil it kills the look. In reality only so much water would stick to the skin.And say no to putting so much on her that it gets into her eyes. There are easier ways to get the sexy glare without burning her eyes with baby oil,lol.

Apr 22 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
To photographs with TOO much baby oil. Baby oil is supposed to mimmick the wet with water/sweat look,imo. If you apply TOO much oil it kills the look. In reality only so much water would stick to the skin.And say no to putting so much on her that it gets into her eyes. There are easier ways to get the sexy glare without burning her eyes with baby oil,lol.

Hey!

Apr 22 06 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

John Jebbia wrote:
Hey!

Yours are fine, but um, hows it FEEL?!Turn the tables on your arse,lol.Yours look pretty realistic.Hell, I could see people buyin that image.

Apr 22 06 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

Lady Atropos wrote:

Whew!  Thank GOD mine are supposed to look like trashy hotel room smut.

Apr 22 06 02:03 am Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Motel room shots can be done well. I've seen a couple shots on here where it was obviously done in a hotel, but they were awesome shot. Using the scene to enhance the image.

In fact, I am currently working on a motel room project. I have been casting models for it, and I know they are thinking I'm an idiot when I tell them we're shooting in a motel. But oh well, it's all about the results, huh?

I'm a chick and I still felt weird asking for hotel room shoots.  Call it a stigma.  I dunno. LOL

Apr 22 06 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Jeanette Thompson wrote:

Whew!  Thank GOD mine are supposed to look like trashy hotel room smut.

Monica is such a doll.The erie thing is she looks EXACTLY like and is built EXACTLY like a Sous Chef I used to work with here in California.

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Ive seen GREAT ones as well - but there are some blantly bad ones

Ive never said ALL of the photos in them are bad

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Monica is such a doll.The erie thing is she looks EXACTLY like and is built EXACTLY like a Sous Chef I used to work with here in California.

They say everyone has a twin.  Unfortunately mine is Benny Hill, LOL.  In high school my friends used to say we had the same smile.  Scary huh?  I don't think I'm that ugly.

Monica is a doll and so easy to work with.  I only got to shoot an hour with her that day but we got a ton of great shots in because she was such a natural in front of the camera. I didn't have to give her much direction at all.

Apr 22 06 02:07 am Link

Model

Rachel Dashae

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Here Here.

Apr 22 06 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Jeanette Thompson wrote:

They say everyone has a twin.  Unfortunately mine is Benny Hill, LOL.  In high school my friends used to say we had the same smile.  Scary huh?  I don't think I'm that ugly.

Monica is a doll and so easy to work with.  I only got to shoot an hour with her that day but we got a ton of great shots in because she was such a natural in front of the camera. I didn't have to give her much direction at all.

I actually thought it was her.Funny thing is the first time I saw Monica is the day I first mentioned to the Sous Chef that I was a photographer,lol. I thought oh that little brat, shes a model and didnt tell me,lol.

Apr 22 06 02:10 am Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Just say NO to shots with fake dread hair
Just say NO to shots with bad hair extentions

Apr 22 06 07:57 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I am totally in agreement with #3, especially on sites like this one.

Apr 22 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

WG Rowland wrote:
leather ballerinas..  Sorry, but.... No..

And tying them up doesn't help..

Probably just my aversion to thigh high boots..  Those are just cruel to those of us with calf fetishes..  (Moo)

amen brother!!!

Apr 22 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Just Say No to anything by Ravens Laughter... that guy doesn't have one creative bione in his body! All his shots are so over done it's crazy!!

And for the record, all of my work is shot in my livingroom, or in hotel rooms.. with swords and guns, and hand bras~!!!

Just say no to Fake Bath Tub o' Blood: just saying that because I will be shooting my own version in June: any volunteers to be liz bathory.... or the 5 maidens hanging over head?

Apr 23 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Hey, you forgot "train track" shots! smile I did one yesterday! smile

Apr 23 06 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

nrvphotography wrote:
Hey, you forgot "train track" shots! smile I did one yesterday! smile

Hee hee... I may be doing one in upstate Maryland over Memorial Day with Layla Mercedes...  Bwa hah hah...

Apr 23 06 10:35 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Fake blood in bathtub, girl lying across train tracks, angel wings, and everything mentioned in the original post.

Apr 23 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Just say no to:

"Hand-bras" that don't involve my hands.

Brick paneling. We've all tried them. Now stop. They all look the same: fake.

Clothes trunks full of tangled crap that the model expects me to dig through.

Glitter makeup.

MySpace "models".

Fingers in the model's mouths (again, unless it's my finger).

Bad wigs and the girls who wear them. Bad rugs don't only look bad on men.

I could go on and on......

Apr 23 06 10:48 am Link