Forums > General Industry > Traveling for TFP/CD

Model

Eric J Erk

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Yet another TFP question....

How far should I be willing to travel for TFP, considering that getting great pics is a crapshoot?  I want to venture out of my town to work with a different variety of photographers.  Would semi-regular visits to NY, Phila, etc be worth my time or should I just continue to seek TFP in MD?

Apr 21 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

It depends, really.  You have to evaluate the quality of the portfolios you see and make a determination if you think the gas price is worth the travel.  It's a totally subjective thing.  If it's a beginning photographer - and it's obvious that their skills need work - I wouldn't travel too far.

Apr 21 06 10:59 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

I agree with the above. If the photographer will add substanially to your portfolio, then yes. Also, do tfcd in places you already visit ( if you have a vacation planned, set aside a day or two for a tfcd).

Apr 21 06 11:16 pm Link

Model

Eric J Erk

Baltimore, Maryland, US

William Kious wrote:
It depends, really.  You have to evaluate the quality of the portfolios you see and make a determination if you think the gas price is worth the travel.  It's a totally subjective thing.  If it's a beginning photographer - and it's obvious that their skills need work - I wouldn't travel too far.

You bring up good points.  I do think I'd have success in other cities, though.  My city isn't the biggest hotspot for 'togs doing work with males.  Maybe, I'll be patient for a while and see what arises in the summer.

Apr 21 06 11:19 pm Link

Model

synesthetic

Seattle, Washington, US

like the others have said, it depends...

i do work with some san fran photographers, and go to oregon fairly often to do unpaid shoots. but they are with photographers who i KNOW i will get amazing images with, and 99% of the time are photographers i have previously worked with.

...and often they offer to help a little with travel, lodging, food, etc.

Apr 21 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

EricJ wrote:
How far should I be willing to travel for TFP, considering that getting great pics is a crapshoot?

That depends on whether you shoot with a crap shooter, doesn't it? smile

Seriously, if you find a photographer's book/portfolio/images particularly strong, it may well be worth traveling a fair distance, especially if the local photographers' images aren't what you or your agency are looking for. If there are locals of that quality, though, you may find it more effective to work with them first.

Apr 21 06 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

It depends on if the photographers feel the same way as you do.

I get several emails a week asking to shoot or would I if we were closer and depending on what I feel the model can bring to the shoot will determine my reply to them.

A plain Jane model will not get the attention one with tattoos, piercing or cute feet will get.
Another large factor is if they can supply their own wardrobe and are capable of doing more then one look with their makeup.

I’ve got the set and equipment covered, let them bring the attitude.

I’ve traveled 240 miles round trip on several occasions to work with one model and I’ve taken two other local photographers with me to shoot her and a few of her friends. One photographer went with me twice and we plan on going again if we can time it right.

Make it worth your time, take charge of what you want to happen, do what you can to shoot with the photographers you feel will give you what you want.

Good luck,
Craig

Apr 21 06 11:35 pm Link

Model

Eric J Erk

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Kevin Connery wrote:

That depends on whether you shoot with a crap shooter, doesn't it? smile

Seriously, if you find a photographer's book/portfolio/images particularly strong, it may well be worth traveling a fair distance, especially if the local photographers' images aren't what you or your agency are looking for. If there are locals of that quality, though, you may find it more effective to work with them first.

thanks for the replies, everyone!!

I may be being impatient, but it seems like worthwhile TFP isn't readily available where I'm located.  Funny thing is that a most of 'togs in other cities that seemingly do regular TFP are on par with 'togs in my city that exclusively charge for sessions.

Apr 21 06 11:36 pm Link

Model

Eric J Erk

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
It depends on if the photographers feel the same way as you do.

I get several emails a week asking to shoot or would I if we were closer and depending on what I feel the model can bring to the shoot will determine my reply to them.

A plain Jane model will not get the attention one with tattoos, piercing or cute feet will get.
Another large factor is if they can supply their own wardrobe and are capable of doing more then one look with their makeup.

I’ve got the set and equipment covered, let them bring the attitude.

I’ve traveled 240 miles round trip on several occasions to work with one model and I’ve taken two other local photographers with me to shoot her and a few of her friends. One photographer went with me twice and we plan on going again if we can time it right.

Make it worth your time, take charge of what you want to happen, do what you can to shoot with the photographers you feel will give you what you want.

Good luck,
Craig

Great point....I'm looking forward to stepping my game up during my next shoots.  i've been on a couple of shoots, so I'm grasping what I need to do to improve on my end.  I have a lot of different looks in mind for the upcoming months.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get more useable images just from improving my modeling

Apr 21 06 11:43 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I fly all over for TFP once every very months.  Depends on who I want to shoot with, and how badly. smile

Apr 22 06 05:42 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I've flown cross country just for a tfp shoot.  If it's someone I really want to work with, I'll make it happen.

Apr 22 06 09:28 pm Link