Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Using a Round Brush and Aquage Straightening gel!

Model

Jodie Lyons

Ok I know this may sound stupid but I feel like an idiot cuz I just CANNOT use a round brush! Whenever I get my hair done they always blow dry it all nice and everything with a round brush but for some reason I CANNOT do it!

I am just simply asking for any tips??

Also I was recommended to try Aquage Straightning Ultragel... will that help? Does anyone use it?

Apr 21 06 10:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

OK, Jodie tell me the look you are trying to achive and maybe I can assist you easier...

Apr 21 06 10:21 pm Link

Model

Jodie Lyons

I straighten my hair a lot and dont use any product! so my hairstylist suggested using this aquage before i blow dry and straighten.. i want it to be smooth soft shiny and striaght!

Apr 21 06 10:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

CHI FLAT IRON
SEBASTIAN SMOOTHING BALM

This is my favorite, for accomplishing that.
Brushes are too much pulling and tugging and dont get that smooth sleek look. Matrix sleek smoothing balm is great also.

Charissa

Apr 21 06 10:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

well its really hard to use a round brush on your own head, mostly becasue you cant get the same angle as some one who is standing behind you straightening your hair, I know i cant do it smile so dont feel like your the only one out there who cant coordinate this "move" I have curly hair but I i have straightented it but i use  a straigtening iron and balm , gel has so much alcohol in it smile
Have fun and good luck

Apr 21 06 11:32 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Schrlau

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Some good advice here. 

I would also ask your hairstylist to schedule some time to work with you. 

You bring in your tools from home, he/ she watches how you work with your hair and gives you feedbak amd advice, while showing you how to do it.  I've found this to be very helpful for many ppl.

Apr 27 06 10:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup By Diana Marie

North Valley Stream, New York, US

It is all about the hand movements when you are blowdrying your hair. It takes practice... buy a mannequin head and practice on that... maneuver your hands so you can get the right angle with the brush... just different hand movements but the same result.... Dont bother using any of the aquage... it'll just make it sticky... I've used just about every product on the market and what I reccomend to my clients is Frederic Fekkai. You can buy it in Sephora. Get the glossing cream and the technicians glaze. Put a small amount (like a nickel) of the glossing cream... emulsify (rub it through your hands) and distribute it to your hair. comb everything through. blow your hair until it is about 50 - 75% dry just with your fingers and then section & clip and start with the round brush. It takes time but you'll get the hang of it. If you find that it gets a little poofy use a ceramic straightening iron for the pin straight look... otherwise put a dime sized amount of the technicians glaze in your hands... emulsify again and run it through. If you need anymore help just contact me. I hope this helps!!

~Diana

May 21 06 06:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up the Design

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Honestly...I dont get the round brush.  I'm not big on flippin up my hair...or down.  Personally i use a big paddle brush, with a metal  backing....this holds some of the heat and helps with the straighting.  After you shower, add some hair serum, I like the john freida one and its cheap and avail at your drug store....other wise i love the Paul Mitchel Super Skinny or Lanza Straight Line....both smell yummy!  Then use a bit of mouse for some control and blow dry in sections...for myself, i section off the bottom part, dry that first then do the left and right side.  It also helps if you use one of those attachments on your dryer that directs the heat.  For extra sleek, finish it off with a good quality hair straightner....the ones from the drug store just wont cut it....I like HairArt and Isinis (ceramic).  A quick spray of hairspray to tame down the flyaways and keep it set...and you're golden!
Hope that helps ya out.
Cheers!

V

May 21 06 10:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christle Chumney

Tampa, Florida, US

I have extremely curly hair and have been blowing it straight for over 10 years.  I only use a round brush with a ceramic core.  It's worth it to spend money on a good brush as it will last you longer and not damage your hair as much.  (I use Whirlers 204 but it is pretty big b/c I have long hair.  They do make smaller sizes.)  I second Diana's steps about letting your hair dry about 50-75% and then dry in sections.  Flat iron as needed with a good, ceramic iron.  This is the key to getting a clean look and lessening the frustration.  I LOVE Pureology products and use the Relaxing Serum.  It has silcone which calm the frizzies and it has sunscreen to boot so your color stays true.  Also, no alcohol in this product and 100% Vegan!  I also use Frederic Fekkai and they are both excellent products.   Hope this helps and good luck!

May 22 06 03:40 pm Link