Forums > General Industry > How to decide on a selling price?

Photographer

Christopher b Smyth

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

I have someone interested in purcahsing one of my photos for a wall mural. they require high resolution image. My original image is 3000X2008 straight out of the camera. is it possible to increase the resolution if required?
What price should I charge? I was thinking of asking how many times it would be used and the size and base my price on that. Anybody give me any input?
Thanks Christopher

Apr 21 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Well, I sell 8x10 prints for 250, 13x19 for 450, and so on. I suggest that you first find someone who can make a mural size print from your image. I assume they want to hang the image? Or do they want to have a painting on the wall made from it?

Apr 21 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

I also suggest a program such as Genuine Pixels which enables you to make much much larger prints than you normally would.

And don`t worry about paying me for my advice. Just send Kimberly smile

Apr 21 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I also suggest a program such as Genuine Pixels which enables you to make much much larger prints than you normally would.

And don`t worry about paying me for my advice. Just send Kimberly smile

Genuine Fractals Pro
Available through:
http://www.ononesoftware.com/

Apr 21 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher b Smyth

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

I will have to ask them some questions i would think either they want it like wallpaper or perhaps a painting. thanks for info will let you know how it goes? This the first request for an image of mine I not sold an image before.

As for Kimberley well you have to deal with her BF first lol

Apr 21 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Yuriy wrote:

Genuine Fractals Pro
Available through:
http://www.ononesoftware.com/

Lovely program. I am lucky to have a fiance who works at a place where we get all that stuff for free.

Apr 22 06 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Maximum Impact

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Printing: A & I Photo or EBLUCE.com both are great.

The pricing issue takes us back to business 101. As you know you need to consider what you have invested. Plus ask yourself will this image be resold if so how many times do you project? (In business jargon this is your recovery period)

Determine your break-even point. If the image is unique enough or they just plain want it you can fetch a decent penny for it. If you want a hard number but want to do the math drop me a line. I would be more than glad to help.

Christopher b Smyth wrote:
I have someone interested in purcahsing one of my photos for a wall mural. they require high resolution image. My original image is 3000X2008 straight out of the camera. is it possible to increase the resolution if required?
What price should I charge? I was thinking of asking how many times it would be used and the size and base my price on that. Anybody give me any input?
Thanks Christopher

Apr 22 06 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Christopher b Smyth wrote:
Thanks Christopher

In deciding on a price, consider how many eyes will see your work on any given day. This can be like , in fact it will be like a billboard along the highway. I say be fair, seek to make some money on the work you created, but also remember you could benefit many returns from others wanting "what that person has on their wall".

https://www.tonyculture.com/GIF/head.GIF

Apr 22 06 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Well, I sell 8x10 prints for 250, 13x19 for 450, and so on. I suggest that you first find someone who can make a mural size print from your image. I assume they want to hang the image? Or do they want to have a painting on the wall made from it?

Do you sell a lot of 13x19's at the $450.00 price???

Apr 22 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

KaoS GRaFFiX

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

I use a program called Pixle Smart Scale, it's a photoshop plugin.

Apr 22 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Christopher b Smyth

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Thanks all I have confered with the prospective buyer and they have a company that does the enlargements. Apparently what they want is worth a large amount however one other seller drastically dropped their price so it would be hard to ask a higher price tha what they did. most likely the buyer would say it is too high. it is too bad they went so low but also it all depends on the buyers budget. many eyes will see it and looks like it wil be 300-400 dollars which I don't mind. I could easily ask more but as mentioned they would say "this person only asked for this much so we are prepared to only pay that much" If my image works for their project my hope is that some people will ask where it came from and who took it. for me it is mostly right now about exposure. If I can make a little money that is cool too although as i said I would love to make more for this project but many factors to consider.
Have a great day everyone winter has returned here.
cya

Apr 22 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher b Smyth

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

is that just a print or is it framed?
Do you sell alot?

Apr 22 06 12:02 pm Link