Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Worth the hype?

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Is it just me, or do these new high end "designer" hair products, not work so well.

Brands like Johnathan Product have just dissapointed me, I get samples from Sephora or Bath and Body works to try on shoots, because I will be damned if I am going to spend $26 on pomade only to have it not be the "miracle" product it claims to be. I really wanted to like some of these brands like Fekkai and Johnathan, but I find at most one product in the whole line that offers something different (I like Fekkai's Glossing Cream, but the Cristal Pomade leaves something to be desired... and dont even get me started on Johnathan's "Dirt").

So my question is, is there something that I am missing or are these products worth the hype?

Does anybody have any good recommendations that I might want to put in my hair kit?

I have been on a couple shoots where the Hair stylist was using Rene Furtierer (sp?) and that seems to be very good. But for the most part I have a lot of Redken, Bumble an Bumble, Sexy Hair and some Tigi, with a few other brands mixed in.

Apr 21 06 01:10 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Also many products for males are just as good as products for females but so much cheaper.

Apr 21 06 03:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Jessica Steele

To be honest- I don't use any high end hair products. I have the old standby AquaNet (super hold in pink) that I see tons of hairstylists use because it works. I also use a glossing product, anti frizz cream, and thickening talc that are all drugstore and an old fashion mens pomade (royal crown). I would love to find some miracle product (even for myself), but I just won't spend mad money on fancy packaging for hair products.

Apr 21 06 04:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Some products aren't worth it.  But then again, some are.  I love Bumble and Bumble and a lot of TiGi products.  Especially their new S factor line.  Redken also has great stuff as does Big Sexy Hair.  But then again, I still use Aqua net as well.  smile

Apr 21 06 07:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Another drug store line that I really like is John Frieda.  The Secret Weapon is great.

Apr 21 06 07:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I uses hight end shampoos and conditionser but thats where I draw the line smile hair spray is hair spay, just perchase what you want it to do. if you want super hold thats what you should buy smile I love the GOT 2 Be line its great, inexpesive and is also made by Shwatskoff smile

Apr 21 06 08:17 pm Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I really wanted Johnathan product (especially dirt because I love the concept) to be the shit.
I like Bed Head products... other than that, I'm a cheapo... Pantene it is!

Apr 21 06 08:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

I major in make-up and minor in hairstyling, but I have tried tons of stuff and here is what works for me:

TIGI anything..I love just about all the styling products..AFTER PARTY is a must have

AQUA NET HAIRSPRAY

LA LOOKS ALC-FREE HAIRGEL

DAX POMADE

FRUCTIS SMOOTHING MILK

SEXY SHORT HAIR TEASE IN A BOTTLE

SEBASTIAN POTION #9

PROCLAIM OIL SHEEN

and a few others but mainly these are my #1's and they are all usually under $5 bucks!

Apr 21 06 08:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

I agree Jonathans products suck....Here are the products I use in my hair kit that I love:

Hair Sprays: Soft Hold: Aveda Air Control or Brilliant Hairspray
                 Full Hold: Aqua Net, Redken Quickdry

Curling Products: Aveda Be Curly (great for a more natural wave)
                        Redken Spray Starch (great for use with rollers and curing irons)

Glossing/Shine Products: Aveda Elements Shine Serum
                                  Rusk Shine Spray
                                  Alterna Glossing creme
                                  Sebastian Laminates products

Waxes/Pomades: Slicked back look: Aveda Brilliant Humectant
                        Lighter hold: Aveda Control Paste
                        Hard Hold: Redken Rough Paste

May 11 06 11:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

digressing a tad, but...pls elaborate on what specifically disappoints re: j's 'Dirt'.

-you'd think he'd want to know -??
-drive by either salon all the time...
-and REALLY digressing
*did anyone catch the last / one of the last episodes wherein his stylist michael solis justified keeping his client waiting / not caring about how he represents the salon "because I do fantastic hair."  what an AHOLE.  re: j's keeping him on staff...what a chump.

May 12 06 12:07 am Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

susan,

i agree its ridiculous...i have been into the beverly hills salon, and there obnoxiously snobish... I dont have time for that...but some people are willing to pay for a name, even if the quality doesnt match the ego. Reminds me a bit of the hype surrounding mac...

May 12 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

rachelrose wrote:
Is it just me, or do these new high end "designer" hair products, not work so well.

Sorry, wouldn't know.  Too little hair left to worry about it.  wink

May 12 06 12:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sonya Tisdel-McNeil

Chicago, Illinois, US

Try the Ken PAVES 'Flawless' line. (especially the 'convertible-proof' hairspray)
Also, the Dove line of styling products is great.
And I keep Johnson's 'No More Tangles' in my hair kit for those times when I've teased the hell out of someone's hair.

May 12 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Star

I know I'm not a stylist, BUT, the cheepo weird product I like is the Curling Shampoo. It really does make longer hair hold a curl better,

Star

May 12 06 12:39 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Susan Verdugo wrote:
digressing a tad, but...pls elaborate on what specifically disappoints re: j's 'Dirt'.

-you'd think he'd want to know -??
-drive by either salon all the time...
-and REALLY digressing

When I lived in LA I used to drive by the salons, but if I don't like a product, I just won't use it. I would rather pay $15 (or less) bucks for a molding mud/wax/pomade that works, than tell him how to make his $30 product better. I prefer Bumble and Bumblie Brillaintine if I am going to shell out something for the "out of bed" sexy look.

May 12 06 12:44 am Link

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This site http://www.cosmeticscop.com/ has been quite helpful in determining if a product will work or if it's just overpriced garbage with an eye-catching label.

May 12 06 06:56 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Kuree

Glossing- I have Fekkai's but instead I do Pure Coconut Oil. Olive Oil just seemed too heavy, one of my clients was raving about Coconut Oil and how it's so cheap but so great. Problem with it solidifying in the bottle though, so have to warm it up with my hands. Yes, solidify like Nars Body Glow does.

Hairspray- Sebastian Shaper, always. And always get free full-sized cans of it from makeup artist friends. And Shaper Root Raise Lifting Spray.

There is a company named Arielle or Ariella, they make a creme hairspray that I like a lot. Can't find it anymore. I like creams to get my hair working for me.

Dirt is suppose to make the hair more workable and easier to style. As if hair is easier to work with when a little dirty. Have had no problems with it. I don't know much more about it, but I don't use it as a pomade, just something to run through my hair so style it easier. I use very little.

Big Sexy Hair, for sure.

KMS Turnstyle products.

May 15 06 10:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

Picture Perfect Makeup

Hesperia, California, US

My favs:
White Sands... incredible hold, but they seem to have changed the formula and you can't get it over the counter!

KMS is great, their hair paste and wax work wonders for adding body and hold.

Sebastian, especially for weddings & it smells good! -- but mega hold is too heavy.

Tigi.

And, yes, AquaNet for the 40's pinup or hard styling hold -- pure shellac -- works on big hairstyles and for wigs too. But advise your models to wash and condition it out of the hair, don't try to brush it out.

May 15 06 01:48 pm Link