Forums > General Industry > watermark/branding - opinions needed (models too)

Photographer

EAD Productions

New York, New York, US

Watermarking is a very good question... I heard many people talking about established photographers not watermarking. They normally don't put "new" unpublished images up on the web (I was with jed root, as one of the "postees" put links for his site up....and I used to talk with my agent specifically about watermarking). Normally images are  published first, and many of them are beginning to watermark invisibly. It's a question of cost/risk. To the original "postee", it depends if you think your images are going to be claimed by someone else, or your reasons for putting all of your images out to view. Using myself as an example, I'm on MM to see if I can find a great new face before the main stream (and I'm an insomniac, and I'm temporarily addicted to the forums, now that I'm sick at home) so my images on here ARE watermarked, it might annoy some people, but that's how it goes (they aren't the ones hiring me smile. One of the most important things to do is actually to COPYRIGHT your photos. If you ever get into a lawsuit about images (which I have), you want to make sure that your images are COPYRIGHTED... that will make the biggest difference in court.

Apr 21 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I watermark so that if it ever comes down to it I will not be filed away in some corner of the copyright law that is for vagabond or homeless images. If I put a watermark on it I am saying that no, you may not have it,

Star

Apr 21 06 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

EAD Productions wrote:
Watermarking is a very good question....depends on what you are photographing, where you are in your career, and whether or not your photos have been published. I heard many people talking about established photographers not watermarking. They normally don't put "new" unpublished images up on the web (I was with jed root, as one of the "postees" put links for his site up....and I used to talk in the agency specifically about watermarking). Normally images are  published first, and many of them are beginning to watermark invisibly. It's a question of cost/risk. To the original "postee", it depends if you think your images are going to be claimed by someone else, or your reasons for putting all of your images out to view. Using myself as an example, I'm on MM to see if I can find a great new face before the main stream (and I'm an insomniac, and I'm temporarily addicted to the forums, now that I'm sick at home) so my images on here ARE watermarked, it might annoy some people, but that's how it goes (they aren't the ones hiring me smile. One of the most important things to do is actually to COPYRIGHT your photos. If you ever get into a lawsuit about images (which I have), you want to make sure that your images are COPYRIGHTED... that will make the biggest difference in court.

..=*^) - I've been laid up too for the last two weeks with a ripped ligament - fricking boring - never spent so much time on this site before..=*^)

Yes, the copyright issue is the most important one - I ALWAYS and that means ALWAYS - copyright my images BEFORE I PUBLISH THEM. Every shoot, every job - always. It's easy and cheap - and has paid me back many, many times over...

If you don't copyright your images, you probably will never be able to collect damages for unathorized use.

Apr 21 06 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Addressing the credit issue. When I started out testing, I didn't watermark or require models to give me credit. However, I was testing lots and agencies were sending me a steady stream of models - I just wanted the practice.

Pretty soon I was getting calls out of the blue. Art directors would notice the prints that they liked and asked the model, "Who took this?" Models were always happy to tell them.

I still don't like watermarks - but with cheap scanners and weirdos trying all kinds of strange scams, sometimes you have to be pro-active.

Apr 22 06 03:07 am Link

Photographer

TinkaBencz

I never wanted to put any sort of mark on my photos, I think it looks awful.  But with the internet there's no way to garuntee the safety of your images.  I recently found out that someone was taking my images and selling them.  I was so pissed off about it because I couldnt do anything about it (highschool kid in the states.  Their friend acused me of stealing thier work and wouldnt give me a name or a way to contact them) and they were charging more than I do for prints AND making money off my hard work when I'm in a dire financial state.  So I found myself putting hidious little logos on everything sad

Apr 22 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

gsvb wrote:
Douglas
You asked a question
I answered it
I think Im qualified ?
If you dont want an honest answer to your Question ..Thats fine
But...Photographers..( good ones)
and Models ( pro ones)
Dont use watermarks.

Gary, clearly you've got a great portfolio and more experience than the vast majority present in this forum, but I have to wonder if the "qualified answer" would change if someone used your image without consent and without paying you.  If a test shot image, for which you were never paid, was sold to Walmart I suspect that you would be justifiably upset.  Not only were you not compensated, but you also have to protect you brand image and business interests.

I don't think anyone on this board or in this industry disagrees with the fact that a watermark does diminish an image's quality to some degree.  In a perfect world, watermarks would be unnecessary...of course we wouldn't need to trademark, copyright, or apply for patents either because no one would even consider taking credit or economic gain from another person's hard work.  But back on planet earth it's a different story.

A key difference between the top 1% of photographers and the rest of the "good ones" in the top 10% of the craft are the amount that they have to spend on legal staff.  If they could afford a full time team to protect & defend their interests it wouldn't be necessary, but welcome to the 21st century.  And of course, if they are hired for a magazine shoot, and those images become the property of the magazine, it becomes the magazine's responsibility.  Again, they keep a few lawyers on retainer for just such occurrence.

By the way, I personally know at least one photographer with a high six-figure income (damn near seven figure) that still watermarks images that he shoots in "non-contract jobs".  And he shoots people with reputations and experience that dwarf anyone that I've seen on Mayhem yet.  No offense, but when he tells me to cover my a$$, I'm gonna listen to him intently.

Apr 22 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

EAD Productions

New York, New York, US

gsvb wrote:
Douglas
You asked a question
I answered it
I think Im qualified ?
If you dont want an honest answer to your Question ..Thats fine
But...Photographers..( good ones)
and Models ( pro ones)
Dont use watermarks.

Not true. And the ones that don't,  eventually get ripped off and sometimes impersonated (and sometimes don't even know it smile ). There are reasons both TO watermark, and NOT to watermark, and both are valid. Once you are established it's easier to recognize WHO took the photo, but if you are posting images online (say HERE on MM), it would be easy for someone to grab and use as their own, watermarking makes it more difficult, and will make people recognize the photographers work.
On the other side, there is no question that it "muddles" the photograph and causes interference. It's a cost/ benifit question.

Apr 23 06 12:51 am Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

On my site and most images I post I put my watermark right in the middle of the image- transparent enough so it can be ignored but obvious enough to make it a major PITA to remove.

Simple reason-some of my work goes into galleries and books and is sold as single pieces-it would devalue a nice piece if everyone and their momma was using it for a desktop or avatar somewhere [Yes it has happened.  Had several people tell me they took it for their desktops and to print and had at least one take an image, resize and use as an avatar on Ebay]

I give out images as desktops when requested and everything I do that is sold has my watermark inconspiciously plpaced and transparent so many never notice.

I've had several models actually request I put my watermark on their images because they think it's sweet, even have one that wants it for a tattoo.

Now you get some nasty-assed watermarks and logos out there that totally ruin an image but I try to keep away from that and fit the mark to the image according to size, color and placement.

Apr 23 06 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

WhiteBears Visions wrote:
I've had several models actually request I put my watermark on their images because they think it's sweet, even have one that wants it for a tattoo.

I give you credit WhiteBear...that is a great watermark.  Nobody likes them, but if you have to use them it's worth taking the time to do them right.  You've inpired me to put in more effort and come up with something that I really like.

Thank you!

Apr 23 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

blacquejack

Charles Town, West Virginia, US

watermarks are very annoying, everytime I have tried it, i feel it kills the image

Apr 23 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

blacquejack wrote:
watermarks are very annoying, everytime I have tried it, i feel it kills the image

Watermarks are annoying and may kill a single image, but trying to recover damages from stolen images kills the passion to make future images.  Use them when you must, and realize that when you sell an image it's no longer necessary and therefore won't kill the image.

I think we would all prefer a world without watermarks, but quite frankly I don't care if a hundred million people on the internet (who see it for free) feel that it damages the image.  If they can't see past it, they likely are not sophisticated enough to be able to purchase the image anyway.  For those that do purchase the image, for whatever us, I will gladly provide a watermark free image.

Apr 23 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

All watermarks and branding can be defeated.

All watermarks and branding are distracting.

Therefore Brand your Models body on her Watermark.

E L

Apr 23 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Douglas Rosen

Orlando, Florida, US

First, thank you all for everything. I have learned a lot and although I still have mixed feelings I have decided I am going to start putting something on my images. I just made an initial "test" logo and I would like to hear opinions from people. Not only about how it looks but about the size and color vs. transparent. here are
three tests, with the logo being the exact same in all three.

https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/Doug968/NEW_6141-sized550-logo.jpg

https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/Doug968/NEW_6159-sized550-logo.jpg

https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c256/Doug968/NEW_6178-sized550-logo.jpg

I think it may pay to make the snail a little smaller and text a little larger so they fit together better. But I also keep thinking about the placement and size in proportion to the image itself.

Apr 23 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Douglas Rosen

Orlando, Florida, US

Apr 24 06 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Douglas Rosen

Orlando, Florida, US

just bringing this up on the main page again since no one looked at my last post yet. It's funny, this was so active and just when I add those pics to get some opinions, no one looks anymore LOL...

Apr 24 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Douglas Rosen

Orlando, Florida, US

Although my web site is not yet functioning, I am going to use my web site and not my name in my watermark...see above and please give some comments on what you think about my first attempt at watermarking and making a logo.

Apr 26 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Burgos Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I just recently switched my watermark from my name to a website I bought that I can be reached through...that way if someone sees the photo posted somewhere, they can type in the URL (jnbphoto.com) and get in touch with me.

I figured if Monet and Van Gogh signed their work, an unknown like me should too....though I try to keep it in an unobtrusive corner.

Apr 26 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Glad to see this thread- I recently saw some of my nudes on a high quality,high profile site- totally without any credit. Sent me through the roof. Started watermarking images that same day with digital watermarks as well.
   The editor easily agreed to replace my images with watermarked ones- I said either that or pull the images entirely. (They were submitted by the model)  But never again will I release web images without a logo/copyright. I've been laserprinting contact info on the back of every print I give models for some time now.
   Don't really like using watermarks, but it's advertising I can't afford to pass up, done in as discreet a manner as possible.

Apr 26 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

Douglas Rosen

Orlando, Florida, US

Henri3 wrote:
Glad to see this thread- I recently saw some of my nudes on a high quality,high profile site- totally without any credit. Sent me through the roof. Started watermarking images that same day with digital watermarks as well.
   The editor easily agreed to replace my images with watermarked ones- I said either that or pull the images entirely. (They were submitted by the model)  But never again will I release web images without a logo/copyright. I've been laserprinting contact info on the back of every print I give models for some time now.
   Don't really like using watermarks, but it's advertising I can't afford to pass up, done in as discreet a manner as possible.

Glad that worked out so well for you in the end, the webmaster could have given you a hard time, esspecially if they were posted by the model (well, I guess a lot depends on the release you used but still, you are lucky it went so smoothly).

thanks for the reply.

Apr 27 06 12:44 am Link