Forums > General Industry > One Reason For Lack of Success (Models)

Photographer

Indochine

Los Angeles, California, US

One thing I've come to notice a lot at Model Mayhem is that many models (and MUAs) here play against their strengths, rather than to them. I think this is one of the main reasons there aren't more success stories in the profession.

As an example, you'll look at a MUA's port and she'll have all these bizzarro, avante garde jobs she did, and then there will be one clean commercial picture that she (or he) did really well. The commercial picture is the one that really looks the best, shows off their chops, and has the most comments, but the MUA is endeavoring (futilely) to be "cutting edge."

Same with models. They'll have the most symmetric, beautiful commercial face and perfect body and you see all these pics of them with crazy make-up and styling and exaggerated poses. And again, the one picture with straight ahead styling and lighting is the one that makes them look the best and gets the most notice.

This is why the world needs good agents and managers (and good photographers). Because people often have the wrong idea of what looks best on them. Curvy short girls want to be runway models; thin, commercial looking girls want to be Grace Jones, etc.

I think one problem is that neophytes in the biz often associate "weird" with cutting edge and miss the mark.

Apr 20 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I know what you're saying and I agree for the most part.  But what gets noticed online is not what will get commercial jobs.  One really has to understand the difference between the online world and the land-based world.

Apr 20 06 02:09 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Not everyone desires to compete in mainstream markets nor does everyone want to use MM as a digital comp card.  MM is a great place to get feed back on experimental looks and style concepts in development.  I don't think it is a very good resource for getting paid work. - at least for me.  It's all about how you want to use the site.

Apr 20 06 02:15 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Hey wait a minute; I'm known for my bizarre poses and my mad contortionist skills.
I got a great complement yesterday of “you do a really great job of doing what I tell you to do even though it should be impossibleâ€?
wink

Apr 20 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Indochine

Iona Lynn wrote:
Hey wait a minute; I'm known for my bizarre poses and my mad contortionist skills.
I got a great complement yesterday of “you do a really great job of doing what I tell you to do even though it should be impossibleâ€?
wink

Yeah, but you're good at it. You're playing to your strengths and your port benefits from it.

Apr 20 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Brian Diaz wrote:
I know what you're saying and I agree for the most part.  But what gets noticed online is not what will get commercial jobs.  One really has to understand the difference between the online world and the land-based world.

Words of wisdom here....

Apr 20 06 06:37 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Scaramanga wrote:
As an example, you'll look at a MUA's port and she'll have all these bizzarro, avante garde jobs she did, and then there will be one clean commercial picture that she (or he) did really well. The commercial picture is the one that really looks the best, shows off their chops, and has the most comments, but the MUA is endeavoring (futilely) to be "cutting edge."

Same with models. They'll have the most symmetric, beautiful commercial face and perfect body and you see all these pics of them with crazy make-up and styling and exaggerated poses. And again, the one picture with straight ahead styling and lighting is the one that makes them look the best and gets the most notice.

This is why the world needs good agents and managers (and good photographers). Because people often have the wrong idea of what looks best on them. Curvy short girls want to be runway models; thin, commercial looking girls want to be Grace Jones, etc.

So true my friend! I'm cormercial. I've got the girl next door look down pat. I'm not afraid to smile in a pic and its what has gotten me most jobs thus far. But there's always that itch to want to sex myself up a bit. Get all exotic and high fashion looking..but at the end of the day I know I sholdn't try to fix what aint broken.

Apr 20 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

TREVOR GODINHO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i think ur right and wrong at the same time ... cus these abstract images are wat is need for high fashion editiorals and the commerical is good to but i find it kind of boring but still needs to be done .. models, photographer and muas should have a good blend of both .. thats wat i think

Apr 20 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Indochine

TG Photography wrote:
i think ur right and wrong at the same time ... cus these abstract images are wat is need for high fashion editiorals and the commerical is good to but i find it kind of boring but still needs to be done .. models, photographer and muas should have a good blend of both .. thats wat i think

I'm not arguing for the banishment of the bizarre or that one (e.g., commercial) is better than the other (avant garde). I'm just saying, know what works best for you (what's going to get you paid work as a model or MUA) and play to it. Stop trying to fit a square peg into a circle.

I'm tempted to post the MM'er who got me to thinking about this today, but I think it would be in poor taste. Besides, there's plenty of examples of it around here.

Apr 20 06 07:19 pm Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

Internet and the "real " world are planets apart.

Apr 20 06 07:29 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Unless it's just art for art's sake... in which case, none of that really matters anyway. smile

Apr 21 06 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Blackmirror Photogenics

New York, New York, US

gsvb wrote:

True, MM is a hangout spot that you go to after work.

Apr 21 06 08:36 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Scaramanga wrote:

Agreed. It's hard for some of us, like myself, who don't know what's best sometimes.

Apr 21 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

TinkaBencz

I think that a lot of models are just looking to have a large variety so that they can get more oportunities for work.  One of the models I've worked with on various occasions is naturally beautiful, but I would love to do some "wacky" stuff with her makeup.  I think if a model can pull it off, they should do it.  Especially if it gives them a better variety and broader span of experiance.

Apr 22 06 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Storm Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I agree with Josie

Apr 22 06 09:46 am Link

Model

A.Fox

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

gsvb wrote:

Actually they're closely intertwined... and that's what gets some people in trouble.

But agreed on the topic. Took me forever to realize, 'Hey that looks dumb, maybe I should stop doing that.' or 'OOOO, that's why everyone likes when I do that, it looks good.'

Apr 22 06 09:51 am Link

Model

Shaunal

Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada

gsvb wrote:

I agree with you !

Apr 22 06 09:57 am Link