Forums > General Industry > Studio Alt Backdrop

Photographer

Fluffytek

I'm planning my first studio shots with Alt models and I'm trying to think of the most versatile backdrop arrangement to use and wondered if any alt models could give some feedback on my ideas.

I currently have a black backdrop, and a very large purple one.

I was thinking of adding draped net and maybe some red velvet drapes.

Do you think props are a good idea?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 20 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Hi,

I'm not a model, but a safe bet is to shoot in the room with black and white alternating tiles. Works especially well with girls clad in red (be it latex costume or just underwear). The downside is that everyone knows that so it's been dona gazillion times - hence cliche. A safe bet though.

In my old house I have an old basement with ugly walls and floor. Works perfect for any type of alt shoot.

Another safe bet (though cliche) is to use a military camouflage fabric as a backdrop. Works awesome with most alt models.

Good luck,

Mark

Apr 20 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

MarkMarek wrote:
Hi,

I'm not a model, but a safe bet is to shoot in the room with black and white alternating tiles. Works especially well with girls clad in red (be it latex costume or just underwear). The downside is that everyone knows that so it's been dona gazillion times - hence cliche. A safe bet though.

In my old house I have an old basement with ugly walls and floor. Works perfect for any type of alt shoot.

Another safe bet (though cliche) is to use a military camouflage fabric as a backdrop. Works awesome with most alt models.

Good luck,

Mark

Thanks Mark

Apr 20 06 12:12 pm Link

Model

The Thorny Rose

Chicago, Illinois, US

Anything that is different is usually good... be it a weird combo of colors or fabrics... just please, no all-black....

Um, depending on where your studio is, perhaps some shots in a basement area with pipes or anywhere that isn't perfect looking... brick walls can be fun too if they're kind of old...

Apr 20 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

The Thorny Rose wrote:
Anything that is different is usually good... be it a weird combo of colors or fabrics... just please, no all-black....

Um, depending on where your studio is, perhaps some shots in a basement area with pipes or anywhere that isn't perfect looking... brick walls can be fun too if they're kind of old...

I have a barn/shed thats full of junk. Its grimey with cobwebs and grim is the word that comes to mind. We usually try to avoid going in there. Would that be the sort of thing?

Apr 20 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Bangerman wrote:
I have a barn/shed thats full of junk. Its grimey with cobwebs and grim is the word that comes to mind. We usually try to avoid going in there. Would that be the sort of thing?

Oh man, that could be used for some many awesome things. I would definitely take alt girls in there for pictures.

Apr 20 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

MarkMarek wrote:
Oh man, that could be used for some many awesome things. I would definitely take alt girls in there for pictures.

I'm glad I didnt get round to fixing the broken glass in the windows then. Just have to figure out how to get the flash units in there with all the junk smile

Apr 20 06 01:52 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Depends on what the lighting will be like.  I personally really like all-black or heavy velvet for shots with really dramatic spot lighting (for deep shadows, etc).

Pretty much anything other than distracting patterns (paisley, Sears blue mottled, etc) should be fine.

Apr 21 06 04:18 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

go to a fabric store...and buy up victorial furniture fabric for backdrops....go with dark rich colors like gold, crimson, plum, and navy blue

they have some great furniture fabrics that put many backgrounds to shame

Apr 22 06 12:31 am Link