Forums > General Industry > Posing comments on images

Photographer

Storm Photography

San Francisco, California, US

How much honesty do people want when getting an image comment?

eg. Wow what a great shot, but you have an airplane growing out of your head.

Oops, I meant POSTING

Apr 20 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

I very seldom leave comments, but when I do, it's because something really grabbed me.

Apr 20 06 09:02 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I want brutal honesty.  I want to know what works and what doesn't and why.  Useless comments are things like "great pic" or "this is not my favorite".  I usually will look at the port of the commentator to understand the basis for the comments too.  More than anything, I want to know how to improve.

Apr 20 06 10:49 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
More than anything, I want to know how to improve.

Take your clothes off!!! Kidding, kidding, kidding lol.

Apr 20 06 10:54 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Take your clothes off!!! Kidding, kidding, kidding lol.

LOL.  I've done that.  It's funny how those images seem to get the most comment.  I think clothes are overrated anyway.  smile

Apr 20 06 10:58 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

LOL.  I've done that.  It's funny how those images seem to get the most comment.  I think clothes are overrated anyway.  smile

LOVIN the way this one thinks.

Apr 20 06 11:00 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Honesty is good but then again my mother did say that if you cant say anothing nice keep your fat gob shut.
I comment on pics from time to time if I am really taken with them but I see no reason to critique a Port unless they are specifically asking for that.

Apr 20 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:

Good one! I agree... It's just clothes aren't over-rated on me wink!

When I look at a portfolio I only comment of the photos that really get my attention. So, my comments are always positive because I liked the photo in the first place. But I do try to tell people what I like dabout them and be at least somewhat encouraging. I've seen some work here that just blows me away... In those cases I don't have much to say as my words fail me. It's interesting how the work here runs the gamut from GWC, beginner photographer and all the way up to some stunning images. I really like the variety; I'd comment more if I had the time.

-P-

Apr 20 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

I hate commenting because almost every time the comment is met with excuses or attitude. It's just a huge emotional drain to sit there are try to come up with productive suggestions and still get "Yeah but...." - and then it inevitably degenerates to "well, your portfolio s*cks, too, so who are you to talk?"

I've started to feel that the only way to get productive behaviors in a photographic learning experience is to set up an unconscious authority structure (which I HATE doing) - i.e.: a teacher/student relationship or a finanancial relationship. Have you ever noticed that a beginner will pay rapt attention to a workshop leader if they paid the workshop leader $500 to be there, but they'll respond "F* U!" to someone with just as much experience, who took the time to post a response on a forum?

mjr.

Apr 20 06 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Another demoralizing aspect of posting comments on images is when you go to a photo and you see a mediocre photo of a model that probably shouldn't quit her day job. Underneath it are 5 comments, "Fabulous!"  "you are so beautiful!"  "A special image of a special model!" etc.

So I think, "wow, I'll look like a real a**hole if I comment, 'This composition is mediocre, the exposure is off, and the model's butt-cellulite is just calling for an appointment with healing brush! And just because you own a camera and a rope, not all bondage photography is fine art.'"

Someone who posts stuff like that isn't interested in feedback - even if they ask for it - because they obviously have their critical faculties offline to be able to post it in the first place.

That means you're limited to commenting on the stuff that's very good - which is also pointless. What am I supposed to do, tell Jeffrey Scott he's awesome? He doesn't need me to tell him that! Am I supposed to offer LithiumPicnic useful advice? That's not going to happen - all I can do is post "wow."

So I think commenting on images in a forum like MM is basically pointless. All the good critiquing sessions in my photographic career happened over beer and pizza someplace among equals, or at a workshop where everyone is interested in what the teacher has to say.

mjr.

Apr 20 06 12:28 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I try to leave an honest critique when I think it should be needed but most of the time I am scared to do so cause some people just can't take honest criticism.

Hey by the way...I can! Take a look!

Apr 20 06 12:55 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think an honest critique should be appreciated, such as "Nice photo, but the blurring is a little over done." Not to be confused with bashing "This photo sucks ass." Some people think they're so great though, they just don't want to hear anything except "OMG you are so awesome, wonderful- you can do no wrong." Even when it's a load of bull.
On the other hand, I don't appreciate negative comments on my work dealing with the photographer's technique, skill, or photoshopping. I think those should be taken to the photog's page and give me a comment that actually applies to me.

Apr 20 06 02:40 pm Link

Model

Jakki Browne

Los Angeles, California, US

I think all the constructive criticism should be sent to person via email and not posted on the page.  The objective should be to help the person improve without pointing out their flaws to everyone.  I had someone email me and I was very greatful to receive the feedback.  But not everyone appreciates the feedback so don't be offended if they tell you to mind your own business!

Apr 20 06 02:51 pm Link