Forums > General Industry > The Wrong Coast...

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

Is it me or does everybody whom I want to work with seem to be on the other side of the country sad

Is anybody else having these problems?

Apr 20 06 08:42 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

At least you're on a coast.  I'm in Kansas.

Apr 20 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

I'm stuck down in the deep middle.... Models that I'd love to work with are on either side of me... 1500+ miles away...... Oh, and don't forget a few located over in England as well (dern big pond inbetween us.....)

Trust me... I feel your pain...

Apr 20 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

Hmmm ... I seem to recall some old saying about the grass always being greener somewhere else.

Heck I'm in Utah and here the grass is pretty much brown. So sometimes you just have to make do with what you have.

May not be work safe ... if someone at work is really up tight
http://www.pbase.com/slowpokebill/image … 7/original

Bill

Apr 20 06 08:56 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i think i speak for all the east coast photogs, when i suggest that the west coast photogs..  "aint all that"

Apr 20 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

StaciF wrote:
Is it me or does everybody whom I want to work with seem to be on the other side of the country sad

Yep.. I might not actually be on the coast.. but the models I really want to shoot are too far away to walk to.. or are on the atlantic seaboard. or in England, or New york... or in chicago.. etc.. never here in the phoenix area.

Apr 20 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
At least you're on a coast.  I'm in Kansas.

Yes, but in your case, you can go both ways.

Apr 20 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Bill Bates wrote:
Hmmm ... I seem to recall some old saying about the grass always being greener somewhere else.

Heck I'm in Utah and here the grass is pretty much brown. So sometimes you just have to make do with what you have.

May not be work safe ... if someone at work is really up tight
http://www.pbase.com/slowpokebill/image … 7/original

Bill

oh, and before I forget.. I love the work you do with your georgous wife.

Andrew

(From GG or now G1)

Apr 20 06 09:27 am Link

Model

Brooke Brite

Manhattan, Kansas, US

I'm with Melissa. I'm a Kansas girl as well and there are about 2 options. Kansas City or Wichita, both are 2+ hours away and being a full time grad student makes traveling hard sometimes! Can't wait to get out of this state and find some opportunity!

Apr 20 06 09:34 am Link

Model

Ashlee Dane

Denver, Colorado, US

Ya Im in CO...I would travel anywhere but it takes this stuff...its green and worth a lot!!! Money silly!!

Apr 20 06 09:34 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
i think i speak for all the east coast photogs, when i suggest that the west coast photogs..  "aint all that"

Jealousy runs ramped amongst infidels.

I on the other hand find a plethora of talent on both coasts.

Apples and Oranges!

Apr 20 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Constantly.  Not a day goes by when I don't wonder where my art would be if I were on the west coast...It seems to be where it's "at" for fetish/bondage art.

Apr 20 06 09:44 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

StaciF wrote:

At least you're near NY.  If you can't get find photos around there then you need to look in different places. smile  The rest of the country is pretty spread out compared to the photog density in Manhattan.  There might be less participation in MM per capita by photogs in NY because they may not need to network as much to find models.  You just need to find different ways to contact them.

Apr 20 06 09:51 am Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Yes, yes I do.  I want to work with quite a few photographers out east.  Granted, there are some on this coast too, but when I compile my wish list, most are back east.

Apr 20 06 09:53 am Link

Model

Ashlee Dane

Denver, Colorado, US

I definetly agree Melvin...Cali is where its "at" for pin up/retro...mostly....there actually is a large group in PA though!! Hmmm...but yes west coast for the "freaks" i guess...lol smile

Apr 20 06 09:54 am Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

There's some groovy photographers here in NY. But yeah, alot of people that I'd give my left leg to work with are in Cali.

...Or Detroit. What's up with Detroit?

Apr 20 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

--- DING! ---

c'mon, .......you know, ..........that airline commercial.

geeze, .... tuff crowd.

::: shuffles off :::

Apr 21 06 02:52 am Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

I have lived in the NW, the Midwest and some other wests too.....I am never where I want to be sad

Apr 21 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

I must have missed the little yellow bus again, when did florida become " east coast " ??  I must tell you I was born and raised in Alabama and I never, never heard of Florida being referred to as east coast.

Apr 21 06 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:

I must have missed the little yellow bus again, when did florida become " east coast " ??  I must tell you I was born and raised in Alabama and I never, never heard of Florida being referred to as east coast.

...It's on the coast, right?  And it's certianly not in the west...

Apr 21 06 03:11 am Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Its got an east and a west coast, florida is a country unto itsself.....invade!

Apr 21 06 03:15 am Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

haha........  I understand that part but as a southerner I always (and still do) refer to myself as such. I would be insulted if some said I was from the east coast.

Apr 21 06 03:15 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Beach Boys said it best..."East coast girls are Hip I really dig the Clothes they Wear..And The SOUTHERN girls with the way they talk they keep their boyfriends warm at night...etc etc... Wish they ALL could be California Girls!"

And FL is SOUTHERN not Eastern.

Apr 21 06 03:17 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

hahahahah dammmm Doug that`s mean hmm

What I have to say only deals with "my" style of photography which is Retro I can`t speak for the others, just my opinion about what I do

Well, I`m a Florida Transplant......originally from Pennsylvania, which is part of the east coast (back east whatever they call it blah blah)  but now I mingle with all the Southern gals (2/3`s of ALL the models I work with here are`nt Floridians anyway, but transplants like myself)  *NY models rock btw!*

As for coast for coast, each has it`s better parts......while I miss San Francisco`s charm and nice people, I dislike LA and the whole scene there
I`d still never trade it all for the comfortable and reasonable living I have here, there`s great people to work with here

California has been WEAK in the whole Retro field for a few years now, with only 2 or 3 top photographer`s out there without enough models who have the "look" to go around...blame it on boob jobs and the modern looks
But the vintage car collections out there make up for the lack of good models, though Florida`s vintage car and racing scene is pretty close to what`s happenin out west

Texas HAS by far the BEST Retro models in the USA......if I would ever move it would be to Austin.......but, I would have to come back here 3 times a year for my beloved Sebring smile

*What`s Texas "the middle coast?"* wink

Apr 21 06 05:16 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Staci, if you come West, I call dibs!

Apr 21 06 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Man, this is gonna start the photographers version of the rap industry west side east side crap. Which are you? Tupoc or Biggie Smalls?

Apr 21 06 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Stu

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Talent is making do with what you have and still coming out on top.

Atlanta, Georgia here

Beach photos irk me but I plan to hit one this year.

Apr 21 06 05:28 am Link

Photographer

northern clicker

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Wherever you go There you are.

Apr 21 06 05:29 am Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

I'm close (enough..) to Chicago. (2 hours away!) I might get to go to LA in about a year.

Apr 21 06 10:46 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Yes...that's how it defiently works for me! If not on the other coast, still so far away. It's most annoying.

Apr 21 06 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Craig Huey Photography

Houston, Texas, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Please Mr. Swinskey, do NOT speak for all east coast shooters.  In fact there are many quality image-makers on both coasts, North and South as well.  Some of us also know when to put away the arrogance and not "think" or "speak" ; since either action can undoubtedly get us in trouble smile

Apr 21 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

StaciF wrote:

I've lived in upstate NY, I've lived in the Midwest, and I've lived in California.

Life is good in California. No end of models.

Apr 21 06 11:51 am Link

Model

Grey C

San Francisco, California, US

yep yep...wish i could go to NY..hmm

Apr 22 06 02:55 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

StaciF wrote:

There are models all over the planet that I'd like to work with, but since we can't, I'm happy to work with who ever is close to me now.
It's all in what you do with what you have.

Apr 22 06 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Craig Huey wrote:
Please Mr. Swinskey, do NOT speak for all east coast shooters.  In fact there are many quality image-makers on both coasts, North and South as well.  Some of us also know when to put away the arrogance and not "think" or "speak" ; since either action can undoubtedly get us in trouble smile

Well said as well as the others that chimed in. Thank you Mr. Huey.

Apr 22 06 03:13 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Craig Huey wrote:

Where's the north coast?

Apr 22 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Where's the north coast?

Ain`t that like in Hawaii or somethin? wink

Apr 22 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Hey--I'm on your coast!

smile

About two months ago, I was burned out of my apartment of 15 years and am now just starting to confront relocation and a more permanent housing solution.  L.A.'s not too far, but there's an awful lot of charm and wealth here in the Mid-Atlantic and up and down the coast.  My attitude, somewhat battered but persevering, is you can't wait for the cultural and media climates to magically change: it's really up to those who are in the neighborhood to turn up the heat and get more out of the resources that are here.

Apr 22 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Paulo Rodrigues

London, England, United Kingdom

Imagine how I feel. All these great models are on a different tectonic plate from me, with the atlantic ocean in between us. smile

Apr 22 06 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

I agree with everything everyone said. There's a boatload of models I'd love to shoot sitting in N.Y, FL, Chicago, Denver, all of freakin Texas!!

but then I wonder, is it "the grass is always greener...." thought????

A writer once told me that best sentence he'll ever write is the one he hasn't written yet..

maybe the best shoot we'll ever have is the one that's percolating forever in our dreams

Apr 22 06 07:37 pm Link