Forums > General Industry > How do you get "Strong" Pictures from a photographer?

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

Hello everyone. I went to an interview with an agency in Scottsdale, AZ and they said that my pictures needed to be "stronger", now on a photographers point of view, what exactly did they mean by "stronger"?

I need to know so I can do some more TFPs and also pay photographers to get stronger photos for my portfolios.

I am also looking to do some tear sheets to put into my portfolio. Anyone wanna help me on that one?

Thanks,
Mindy

Apr 18 05 11:18 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

It's all you dear..give it your all hun

Apr 18 05 11:25 pm Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

I have. What they said was it was the photographer that needed to take better pictures...and to get a hair stylist and a makeupartist to make yourself have different looks. Something that would come out of a magazine is what the kind of pictures that they are looking for.

Apr 18 05 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Posted by Mindy: 
Hello everyone. I went to an interview with an agency in Scottsdale, AZ and they said that my pictures needed to be "stronger", now on a photographers point of view, what exactly did they mean by "stronger"?

I need to know so I can do some more TFPs and also pay photographers to get stronger photos for my portfolios.

I am also looking to do some tear sheets to put into my portfolio. Anyone wanna help me on that one?

Thanks,
Mindy

First I just want to say that you are in the right mindset in that you are willing to pay for good photos. Too many models make the mistake of only doing TFP and working with poor photographers. My advice would be to find a photographer in your area that you like by searching on here and maybe on www.onemodelplace.com.  Meet with them and look at their book to see the quality and also to see if you would feel comfortable working with them. If they don't offer TFP then ask what their rate would be for what you need. Headshots, stylized photos etc.
Also, if any of the agencies ask you for money, go to a different agency.

Apr 18 05 11:28 pm Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

They wanted a $80 a year membership fee. Plus compcards plus the photoshoot with the stylists.

Apr 18 05 11:30 pm Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 

Posted by Mindy: 

Thanks,
Mindy

First I just want to say that you are in the right mindset in that you are willing to pay for good photos. Too many models make the mistake of only doing TFP and working with poor photographers. My advice would be to find a photographer in your area that you like by searching on here and maybe on www.onemodelplace.com.  Meet with them and look at their book to see the quality and also to see if you would feel comfortable working with them. If they don't offer TFP then ask what their rate would be for what you need. Headshots, stylized photos etc.
Also, if any of the agencies ask you for money, go to a different agency. 

I need to be able to get a job first so that I could pay for the photographers to get me great pictures. And in a rural area like Prescott, it's very hard to find makeup/hair stylists that would go to your location. Unless you know someone, then it's hard you know what I mean?

And thanks for the reply..

Apr 18 05 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Posted by Mindy: 
They wanted a $80 a year membership fee. Plus compcards plus the photoshoot with the stylists.

Give your good money to a good photographer to get good photos

You will get them

Apr 18 05 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin P.

Houston, Texas, US

Posted by Mindy: 
I need to be able to get a job first so that I could pay for the photographers to get me great pictures. And in a rural area like Prescott, it's very hard to find makeup/hair stylists that would go to your location. Unless you know someone, then it's hard you know what I mean?
And thanks for the reply..

A lot of photographers can arrange to get stylists. I do.  But any agency asking for money is the wrong agency. If there aren't any other agencies in your town then drive to another town. If there aren't any there and you are serious about modeling then work on getting some photos and send them to an agency in NYC or LA. Don't waste your time on any agency asking for money.

Apr 18 05 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Lift weights

Apr 19 05 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Hansen

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Agreed with said comments. TFP can be okay but if your trying to put a book together I highly recomend finding a photographer who employs a style you like and want to convey and as the old saying goes... You get what you pay for. Good luck.

Apr 19 05 11:51 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by Mindy: 

There has to be something behind the images a photographer should do for you. Just posing you behind a seamless paper or on location for the sake of being  outside just shouldn't be the only reason. It's team work at coming up with ideas and working them through before you shoot anything. You'll know when soeone is creative in telling a story with the shots. It has to be more than just taking your money and having you contact sheets-CD or whatever is being done in this day & age! Work with people that can see beyond just taking a pretty picture.

Thanks,
Mindy

Apr 19 05 12:09 pm Link

Model

Chaotika

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
Lift weights

rofl!

Apr 19 05 01:30 pm Link

Model

Chill Factor

New York, New York, US

Posted by Mindy: 

Thanks,
Mindy [/quote

Look into finding a photographer that you have or can establish creative chemistry with?

Apr 19 05 01:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

Posted by Kevin Palmer: 

A lot of photographers can arrange to get stylists. I do.  But any agency asking for money is the wrong agency. If there aren't any other agencies in your town then drive to another town. If there aren't any there and you are serious about modeling then work on getting some photos and send them to an agency in NYC or LA. Don't waste your time on any agency asking for money.

I completely agree with you, any agency that asks for money should be avoided. But the good ones, and there are ones even in the smaller markets (aka mother agencies). Usually have affiliations with really good experienced photographers, and makeup artists. So my advice to you would be to, find a good agency, and then ask them to reccomend you to a photographer that they have worked with before.Otherwise find a photographer through any of the various sites including this one (this one may not have photographers in your area signed up yet, so in that case check out omp,solomodels,musecube ect.) Anyway good luck, i think you have some potential and i cant wait to see your pics once you have them done with a really good photographer and mua.
PS- I think by strong they mean pics where you are projecting emotion and feeling through the pics, look great, and with a photographer that knows about lighting and setting you up to bring out the best in your features and body...something that says..wow

Apr 19 05 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Blackmon

Los Angeles, California, US

Bummer, I just went through Prescott 2 days ago. I'm pretty strong too.

Apr 19 05 04:38 pm Link

Model

Jeri Lynn Astra

Pleasantville, New York, US

They may want editorial images, as opposed to something more porttrait oriented. Did they have pictures up around the office? Those may give you some direction regarding what they're seeking.

Apr 24 05 12:29 am Link

Model

kiana's place

Citrus Heights, California, US

Mindy,

A lot of the comments are so true. I would ask the agency which photographer they recommend. If they are a legit and real agency, they will have a list of photographers to shoot with who know what agencies want and can take you from blah blah to MODEL. Also top model is a great site. They give some great critiques. They tell you the difference with a MODEL and just a PRETTY girl in the industry.

I would shoot and then get good images together and resubmit.

Paying for a photographer or using  a pro shooter is the way to go. Find one that you can work with that brings you out....

Apr 24 05 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Southern Stars

Chatan, Okinawa, Japan

Generally by "stronger" agencies mean more "Commercial" - photos more like what you'd see in fashion or glamour magazines. They like photos "clean" which means keep out any graphic elements that don't contribute to the image's line, form, story, feeling, etc. Additionally, the photographs must be technically appropriate. Ask a different photographer, or agent to help you edit your portfolio. Better 6 strong pictures than a dozen or two mediocre ones. TFP with amateur photographers for portfolio submission generally isn't a good idea. Yes, there are exceptions. TFP is good for practice and getting comfortable in front of the camera.

Apr 24 05 01:19 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

Find a REAL photographer who will work with you.

Apr 24 05 01:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Posted by ActresM10~Maria: 
It's all you dear..give it your all hun

No.  "Strong" photographs come from "strong" photographers.  It is common sense.  To aquire time from these wonderful photographers, you will want to show them Cash, Check or Charge.  No way of getting around it unless one happens to take a liking to you and offers a test shoot.

Do not insult the "strong" photographers by having the balls to ask for TFP/CD...  That is such ill-form...

Also do not kidnap their first born... Bad idea... It is not cool to kidnap family members.

Apr 26 05 02:44 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by Chaotika: 

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 
Lift weights

rofl!

Hey... that IS a good one!  ha ha ha...

Apr 26 05 02:47 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Posted by Mindy: 
I have. What they said was it was the photographer that needed to take better pictures...and to get a hair stylist and a makeupartist to make yourself have different looks. Something that would come out of a magazine is what the kind of pictures that they are looking for.

I have to be "real," no sugar coating here, and this is going to sound a little cruel... Your photos make you look unkempt and frumpy. The agency told you straight out what you need to do...  Why are you asking "How" if they made it VERY CLEAR already?

Don't take this posting the wrong way... You are very pretty naturally - but you do not exude confidence in your images nor do your photos advertise your best qualities.

Apr 26 05 02:57 pm Link