Forums > General Industry > Model Using copyrighted images of another model

Photographer

dKeos1

Allgood, Alabama, US

I need some advice.

I was advised today that a new model on MM was using 2 of my images of another model in her portfolio ..... they do not even look alike. Two photographers I know even made comments on them. It was / is  a direct violation of my copyright ... the images had the copyright removed - placing a her copyright notice in the post.

I have made every attempt to contact the model but she has refused to respond to any of my inquiries. She has removed the 2 images in question from her portfolio.
I am not a big fan of making these type of issues public but have informed her I will do so unless an explanation - at the minimum - is provided.

Any suggestions on what I should do. I have sent numerous emails to her but no response...... dK

Jul 07 05 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Hey Dennis...

Rich D. pointed out the images in question to me.  First, I'd contact  Tammy, advise her of what's goin on, and then, since you were the photographer, I put a request into Tyler to take action.  There is a small simularity between the two models, but I'll bet Nichole never figured on getting busted for this.  It's amazing the kind of shit people try to pull... time to blow the whistle dude.  If you and Rich are ever out here on the west coast, definitely look me up... seeya!

Gary / Select Models

Jul 07 05 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Abdon

Erlanger, Kentucky, US

Need to point fingers and name names.

Jul 07 05 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

dKeos1

Allgood, Alabama, US

I have talked with Tyler and have sent numerous emails to the model in hopes that she would respond. How long should I wait before I publicly out her ... I would like to give her the benefit of the doubt.
Whats worse is .... a few of her "friends" are aware of the misuse but have chosen to leave their friend tag .... Is it so much ... that it is a non-issue to those involved and that are aware!?!!?!?

Jul 07 05 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

dKeos1

Allgood, Alabama, US

Gary I will be out in SanDiego in August / September
dK

Jul 07 05 05:30 pm Link

Model

BrandonR

New York, New York, US

Posted by dKeos1: 
Whats worse is .... a few of her "friends" are aware of the misuse but have chosen to leave their friend tag .... Is it so much ... that it is a non-issue to those involved and that are aware!?!!?!?

She did a very wrong thing and I'd be going after her with all of my powers if I were you, but expecting people to drop her as a friend is a little bit above and beyond expectations until you publicly out her.   So do it!   Publicly out her!

Jul 07 05 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Posted by dKeos1: 
I need some advice.

I was advised today that a new model on MM was using 2 of my images of another model in her portfolio ..... they do not even look alike. Two photographers I know even made comments on them. It was / is  a direct violation of my copyright ... the images had the copyright removed - placing a her copyright notice in the post.

I have made every attempt to contact the model but she has refused to respond to any of my inquiries. She has removed the 2 images in question from her portfolio.
I am not a big fan of making these type of issues public but have informed her I will do so unless an explanation - at the minimum - is provided.

Any suggestions on what I should do. I have sent numerous emails to her but no response...... dK

Stealing images  and using them to create a portfolio is very common. That is a big disadvantage of any site that offers free membership to models. That aside, it may sound odd but how do we know any of the images are really her ? This is just speculation on my part, but many times a phony port is actually that of a guy. I've seen several times where a "phony" model loads a port just so that person can communicate with other people, for whatever reason. Think about it, if you were some loser and wanted to meet attractive people, not photographers of course but models, then a modeling site would be the place. In the future I would not even waste a moment of time, I would contact the administrators of the site immediately. For someone to steal images and use them as their own says alot about their character. Too many weirdos out there. Now that being said, you have one of the nicest ports I've seen.

Robert

Jul 07 05 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

dKeos1

Allgood, Alabama, US

TammyJean - Tampa model
Her whole web site is full of other photographer and model images - portrayed of be of her. The whole site is a scam!
Http://www.tammyjean.com

Jul 07 05 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Posted by dKeos1: 
TammyJean - Tampa model

I live in the Tampa area and I've never heard of her. Not that I heard of everyone, but usually most.

Robert

Jul 07 05 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

dKeos1

Allgood, Alabama, US

Robert if you look at her / his / whatever portfolio you will know why.
Some of the best shooters and models ... none of which is the model claiming them
dK

Jul 07 05 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

dKeos1

Allgood, Alabama, US

bpruck - shes out!!!

Jul 07 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Sclesky

Kansas City, Missouri, US

A bit off topic... I had a photographer off of MM steal one of my images. He was using the image as an online business card and had it on his profile here. Another model told me about it. I called him and told him to remove the image immediately...which he did. What are these people thinking? Idiots!

BTW...great work as always dK

Jul 07 05 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I shoot with a Canon and the new Canon 20D has an option with software to embed an image with a watermark. I'm thinking there are other brands and more software for this copyright protection but am unaware of all of them.

I has a studio owner using my work after I shared some images with him last year.
I asked the studio owner to remove my images from his websites and stop using my work with no response from him.
I contacted Geocities and the other site only to fight the proof of ownership was mine. I sent them both a notarized letter in the mail with te signature of myself and a model that was with me at the time I took the photos and they still said I needed more proof that I took the photos.

Grrrrr

Craig

Jul 07 05 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by dKeos1: 
I have talked with Tyler and have sent numerous emails to the model in hopes that she would respond. How long should I wait before I publicly out her ... I would like to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I just found out myself and compared what I saw and have deleted her friend status.  That's just about as bad as it gets in this community.  That blows.  Go get her / him / it DK!

Jul 07 05 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Timeless Photos

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by dKeos1: 
TammyJean - Tampa model
Her whole web site is full of other photographer and model images - portrayed of be of her. The whole site is a scam!
Http://www.tammyjean.com

Man, ain't that the truth.  I recoginze shots of Pamela Anderson and Martina Warren just to name a few and lots of other shots of very different females.  Totally weak on her / his /it's part!

Jul 07 05 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Posted by CThomson: 
I shoot with a Canon and the new Canon 20D has an option with software to embed an image with a watermark. I'm thinking there are other brands and more software for this copyright protection but am unaware of all of them.

I has a studio owner using my work after I shared some images with him last year.
I asked the studio owner to remove my images from his websites and stop using my work with no response from him.
I contacted Geocities and the other site only to fight the proof of ownership was mine. I sent them both a notarized letter in the mail with te signature of myself and a model that was with me at the time I took the photos and they still said I needed more proof that I took the photos.

Grrrrr

Craig

How frustrating, but all too common. Sites like Yahoo/Geocities are can be very difficult to deal with. Recently a lady sued Yahoo for not removing nude photos that her boyfriend posted. Read more about it here 

http://www.searchnewz.com/searchnewz-12 … mages.html

hopefully they will actually get a more responsive customer service.  I think your best bet would be to get a lawyer in this case.

Robert

Jul 07 05 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

no one ever steals my images...
and I make it so easy, no watermark, large image sizes...
aww come on guys what's wrong with me?

Jul 07 05 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What a crock of shit that web site is...The only suggestion that I can think of is to grab one of the images that you know is yours and see if any of the EXIF information is still in tact...If so, then you have it...

Jul 07 05 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

ILLIXIT

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Theres about 5 of jessica simpson  ....  & just about every other photo has a different model.

Jul 07 05 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Arturo J

Fremont, California, US

I was talking to DK earlier about this whole thing...then I notice
a new profile with wildly different shots in it. One of them was
a famous Helmut Newton shot. Hard to believe folks think they
can pull it off. Problems with Yahoo/Geocites/Ebay to remove
copyrighted images are well-known and frustrating.

Jul 07 05 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

Man I wish I realized that before I put a tag. I didn't do a close commparison, I just thought she was good at coming up with different looks. I feel like a jackass.

Jul 07 05 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Arturo J

Fremont, California, US

Don't feel bad, after looking at those boobs(who ever it was, bless her!)
I did too...and emailed her. We are not alone in JackassLand, lol.

Jul 08 05 12:36 am Link

Photographer

dKeos1

Allgood, Alabama, US

The "big boob ... got to email right away" syndrome ....very common in the south, east , west and north!!!!! Usually followed by drull from the mouth and eyes spinning around in your head!
dK
Btw - all I can say is after looking at the group of images and the photographers he/she/they stole them from .... I was sitting in some pretty good company!!!!

Jul 08 05 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Tat Leong

New York, New York, US

That website is totally bogus, did a check on the domain name (www.tammyjean.com) and it's registered to a Tammy Jean Webber with a fake address in Tampa (123 Any street). The Web site is hosted by Powweb.com. According to their policy:

Client agrees that webpages and files uploaded to our servers will not violate any state, federal or foreign laws or regulations; infringe on any intellectual property rights of PowWeb or any third party;

Send an email to Powweb and see if they're willing to take the site offline.

By the way, great work DK.

-Tat

Jul 08 05 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

A while back someone stole one of my images and posted it on their site.  They would not respond to emails so I called the web provider.  The web provider took the site down after I proved it was my image.  They told me that their entire site could be shut down if they don't take action when it's proven that there's photos that have been stolen on a site they host.  Go for it dK!   

Jul 08 05 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

Posted by Arturo J: 
Don't feel bad, after looking at those boobs(who ever it was, bless her!)
I did too...and emailed her. We are not alone in JackassLand, lol.

Yeah, I was momentarily distracted by them, I admit that.

Jul 08 05 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

Ownership of images is defined in the federal code now to mean holding copyright. A notarized letter is not adequate if it doesn't include the copyright notice.

That's why registering images is vital. Then, it's easy to deal with people like this. Plus, you can get a sizable settlement (assuming the person has any money).

Jul 08 05 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Is there anyone here that fill me in on some canadian copyright laws and how to protect my images.  Secondary, how do you prove that the image is yours, i'm shooting with only digital but I don't know how to watermark or anything like that.

Jul 08 05 09:18 am Link