Forums > General Industry > The Soccer Mom: Epitome of evil?

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Almost every time a shoot is disrupted by an unappreciative onlooker, it is by one of them.

Those of you that shoot family portraits dread dealing with them.

They are the ones who view models as "whores".

Those in talk radio enjoy bashing them.

In the Sixties, they were called "Stepford Wives".

What is it about this stereotyped individual?

Who first came up with this term?

Apr 18 06 04:09 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

They are trapped souls yearning to be free of the stereotypical drudgery that bounds them.  They are not evil, just misunderstood smile

Apr 18 06 04:14 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

they are only evil when driving tan mini vans.......

Apr 18 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Um, definitely not my favorite group of people by a long shot. But honestly they have their reasons. Unfortunately, their existance and my existance seem to naturally be at odds with one another. As the snake must feel about the mongoose, I suppose.

EDIT: Now a soccer mom in a minivan very nearly IS in fact the very incarnation of evil. But not the true incarnation. Because that would be a soccer mom driving an Expedition, in which case they're a menace to society...

And by the by, I've recently become a dad, and will most certainly teach my son to play and love the Joga Bonito.

Apr 18 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

rp_photo wrote:
Almost every time a shoot is disrupted by an unappreciative onlooker, it is by one of them.

Those of you that shoot family portraits dread dealing with them.

They are the ones who view models as "whores".

Those in talk radio enjoy bashing them.

In the Sixties, they were called "Stepford Wives".

What is it about this stereotyped individual?

Who first came up with this term?

Soccer mom's are not all evil. Those who complain and call a model something negative are only frustrated that their life didnt allow them the opportunities that present themselves to models today.

Not saying ALL S-Moms are bad but there are always a few that make the majority look bad.

Apr 18 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

The SM is perhaps a newer term for the Yuppie, another type unpopular with many of us artistic, less materialistic types.

The resentment is well expressed by this bumper sticker seen on a junked art car:

https://www.richardsfault.com/rp_photo/locations/Kennywood/images/DSC_2241.jpg

Apr 18 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

the soccer mom is not to be scorned or looked down upon

she is merely a butterfly still in a coccoon

for as everyone knows

eventually most soccer moms transform into MILFs

Apr 18 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Chili wrote:

As soon as the divorce is final.

Apr 18 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Chili wrote:

for as everyone knows

NO!, ex models transform  into MILF

They are evil witches, driving large vehicles and talking on the cell phone.
Whining to the pimply faced kids to behave in the supermarket.
Bouncing checks to my favorite photographer.
Calling every woman more beautiful than them 'whore'. Envious of career women.

A general nuisance that vote for the handsome guy.

Apr 18 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Chili wrote:

Models I'd Like to Fotograph?

Apr 18 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

NO!, ex models transform  into MILF

They are evil witches, driving large vehicles and talking on the cell phone.
Whining to the pimply faced kids to behave in the supermarket.
Bouncing checks to my favorite photographer.
Calling every woman more beautiful than them 'whore'. Envious of career women.

A general nuisance that vote for the handsome guy.

au contraire, ex-models transform into soccer moms then they transform into MILFs

Apr 18 06 05:27 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

The funny thing is, that when I was talking to a few commercial photographers about commercial modeling, and I asked one of them what role I would be considered for, and the answer was, "honestly, you would be the yuppie housewife" LMAO. He had only met me for an hour or two shoot, and he knew how insanely funny it was to cast me in that role, yet that is what I would play....

Apr 18 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I was married to a soccer mom. Coincidentally, she was married to a soccer dad. We were evil enough to want to keep the kids involved in activities that were good for them. We didn't snarl at others with different life choices. The kids stayed out of jail, so we were bad for helping to deny them that experience. But that was in a simpler time, when getting kids to learn soccer, along with other sports and music things and such, was a progressive thing and not a stereotypical thing.

Life is simpler now. But maybe someday, we'll be soccer grandparents. I'm kinda hoping so.

Apr 18 06 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Lapis... I am SOOOO loving it... and by the way, i know a few "yuppie housewife" models who have done quite a bit of modelling on the side that we'll simply term "artistic," and they're very good either way. Really good models just really know how to and love to project.

Apr 18 06 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Justin wrote:
I was married to a soccer mom. Coincidentally, she was married to a soccer dad. We were evil enough to want to keep the kids involved in activities that were good for them. We didn't snarl at others with different life choices. The kids stayed out of jail, so we were bad for helping to deny them that experience. But that was in a simpler time, when getting kids to learn soccer, along with other sports and music things and such, was a progressive thing and not a stereotypical thing.

Life is simpler now. But maybe someday, we'll be soccer grandparents. I'm kinda hoping so.

Justin, family is good. Really good. It's a general world view that a lot of people we all have known who raise families tend to adopt that kinda rubs a lot of us the wrong way.

Apr 18 06 05:48 pm Link

Model

AnnaMarie

Flushing, New York, US

There is absolutely nothing wrong with soccer moms or for that matter soccer DADS!  I have the best of both worlds and can do both fantastically!!!!

Apr 18 06 05:50 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Chili wrote:

for as everyone knows

oh jeeze, I've already been called a MILF far more times than I care to admit!

I almost bought a pacifica, but I wasn't ready for the full-blown soccer mom image! It had enough space for my "groceries" as the salesman told us! Boy, did he lose out on a sale with that line! LOL

Apr 18 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Chili wrote:

for as everyone knows

Damnit! you beat me to it! but it's more than the milf. the milf is what the man or boy wants. but the soccer mom, if be milf or not is the undercover freak. of course not all are. buuuuuuut.

Apr 18 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Stephen Dawson wrote:

As soon as the divorce is final.

uh uh. both married and divorced.

Apr 18 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Bowling for Soup's "1985" keeps running through my head....

Apr 19 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

OK can someone do me a favour and explain the criteria for being a 'soccer mom' it's not a term us Brits are familiar with and from the sounds of it it's just a mum who drives a large vehicle and who's kids play football, (or soccer....whatever) ....... oh yeah, and they're envious of models and pretty people (aren't we all envious of people better looking than ourselves)

what's the deal?

I want bullet point criteria!

Apr 19 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Jon Roberts wrote:
OK can someone do me a favour and explain the criteria for being a 'soccer mom' it's not a term us Brits are familiar with and from the sounds of it it's just a mum who drives a large vehicle and who's kids play football, (or soccer....whatever) ....... oh yeah, and they're envious of models and pretty people (aren't we all envious of people better looking than ourselves)

what's the deal?

I want bullet point criteria!

think BORING surburban MOm who lives revolves around her children and protecting them from the evils of the world - you and me.
they drive vans or SUVs and talk on the phone at the same time and go to Tupperware parties and think that unmarried working women are unfortunate.

Think the "that Bucket woman" with transportation, kids  and a cellphone,

Her children have gym class, soccer class ,music class, dance class, karate class....... every class known to man nad beast.
So she spends all her time driving these pimply faced monsters around town and totally envious of the beautiful women who enjoy life.

Apr 19 06 06:05 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

groupw wrote:
Bowling for Soup's "1985" keeps running through my head....

I've got "Stacy's Mom" in mine. wink

Apr 19 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Soccer Moms are our bourgeoisie.  Bourgeois people have bourgeois values.  They defend averageness and getting along.  They are suspicious of creativity.  Sexual license and anything avant garde causes them fear and loathing.

Edit:  I renew my sexual license every year.

Apr 19 06 10:00 pm Link